Rimfire ammo?

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by cb51, Feb 10, 2017.

1. cb51

cb51 New Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Now with the election over, and nobody is going to be grabbing the guns or introducing new anti gun legislation, do you think the .22 ammo is going to become more like pre-Obama in availability and price?

For the first time I saw .22's at the great box store, but the price was almost like 9mm's.

2. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Yes & No. It's there but 6 cpr seems to be a typically "low price".

3. Major Kong

Major Kong Well-Known

May 9, 2013
    Katy
    As far as availability goes, Bass Pro in Katy always has some.

I counted three 1,000 round buckets of Remington Golden Bullets on the gun counter the other day. Not the best stuff, but good enough for some paper punching with my girls.

There were also numerous 325 doing boxes of Winchester on the shelves.

I haven't done a comparison to online places, but if you're in a pinch and need it, it's there.

4. CaliberUnknown

CaliberUnknown Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Westside of Ft. Worth
    It's friggin sparse in the DFW area. However, I'm not a plinker, so my 100 rounds will probably survive the drought.

However, the lack of available SuperColibris is killing me!

5. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Availability, maybe, price, no. I see a lot of CCI Mini mags still selling for 10¢ per round. In 2013 and 2014, I actually found it cheaper than that at Cabela's. (9¢ pr). And bought 400 rounds from Midway at 7¢ pr. In 2014, Cabela's had Win Super X 36 gr HP for 7¢.

If you look online, the shortage is over and many LGS have 22lr on their shelves. Not the Georgetown Walmart tho.

6. peeps

peeps Well-Known

May 31, 2014
    Well maybe it also the price of the materials. Lead, for example, is still pretty high compared to the Bush years. Is that because of ammo or something else? Not sure

7. dsgrey

dsgrey Active Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fannin County
    I stocked up on .22 for 6 cpr in 2016 and sales still have it at this price (Federal 325 packs). The stores sporadically had it in DFW but you could and can still find it at this price online. Granted you need to buy 10 boxes with shipping to come out to 6 cpr. I have a lot of .22 but it's amazing how much I use and especially with my 18yo daughter taking an interest in shooting.

8. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The only thing still missing is 22 Mag ammo. Everything else is readily available.

Except at Walmart. They still never have 22lr ammo. Academy always has piles of it and the prices are reasonable.

9. TX-Badger

TX-Badger New Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Bedford, TX
    Have you tried any Academys? The Academy in North Richland Hills off of 820 had plenty of .22 just sitting on the shelf last week. Some of it was only $2.69 a box ~.05 per round. I grabbed a cool 1000 rounds and headed out. Bass Pro in Grapevine always has some CCI 100 round bricks, 8.79 a piece, but they're always there. I was at Cabela's last Saturday, not great prices, but plenty of .22 sitting for the taking. On the west side of Ft. Worth, not sure what you're seeing, but in the mid cities, it seems to be getting back to plentiful.

10. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I see plenty of .22 ammo at all of the usual big box stores and of course on line. Unfortunately, prices have not come down to the pre-obama era and I think it will be some time before that happens if it ever does. More people have bought guns over the past 8 years so there is more demand especially for cheap .22. Factor in the normal inflation and you have today's price point. "If" .22 ammo manufacturers increase capacity beyond demand, or new shooters lose interest in mass, we'll see prices come done. But don't hold your breath.