Rimfire Striker-fired pistols vs. Centerfire Striker-fired pistols & their triggers

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    There are probably more very fine shooting .22LR pistols, many of them competition-grade which are striker-fired, which work BEAUTIFULLY. The various Ruger Target models, the High Standard Victor, Hammerllis, Benellis, Pardinis, Colt Match Target, S&W M41, all seem to have very good to excellent triggers. Even the more humbly-priced Browning Buckmark UDX and Beretta Neos seem to come with good triggers, which can usually be improved to whatever level one desires.

Why, then, does it seem impossible to develop center-fire pistols in defensive calibers (let's call it 9x19mm and more powerful) which do NOT have squishy, uneven, and just WEIRD feeling triggers. I understand SOMEWHAT about the Glocks, and other sidearms which have no thumb safety. Part of their "safety" lies in the toggle-safety trigger design and a long take-up which, they believe, negates the need for an independent thumb-safety (I kinda think that getting rid of the strange trigger and installing a positive thumb safety would enable it to have a much better ignition system, but nobody's asked me.)

EVEN SO, there are many fine pistols on the market which are striker fired, quipped with an independent thumb safety and regular triggers, and STILL end up with trigger pulls ranging from "neutral" to positively deleterious to a good draw and accurate delivery of the first shot. Is there something inherent in the design of the more modern centerfire striker-fired pistols which makes them incapable of having crisp let-offs without heavy, uneven trigger puils? I'm not enough of a gunsmith to look inside one and detect spots which would be troublesome if tuned up. It just seems that these pistols, which may represent a step forward in pistolcraft, are being unnecessarily hobbled in their progress by not assuring them even a REASONABLY good trigger pull.

Thoughts?
    Gun Zone Deals

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Yeah it's weird...my Canik is pretty good, at least in comparison to my Glocks.

Very different, both striker-fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Enter Walther PPQ M2, available in .22, 9mm, .40, and .45

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    It all goes to crap with the addition of a firing pin safety. That's the gritty squishy part of the trigger pull you dislike. It can be mitigated with practice and polishing or parts changing.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I'm not familiar with all of the models you listed but the Buckmark has a hammer and mainspring, it's not striker fired.

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    It all goes to crap with the addition of a firing pin safety. That's the gritty squishy part of the trigger pull you dislike. It can be mitigated with practice and polishing or parts changing.

Not necessarily, in the case of the Glock/Springfield XD /Sig Yes. On preloaded Striker triggers, the “squishy “ has to do with pretravel and overall spring tension, and hammer/Sear relationship.

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

ervdrvr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Harker Heights
    All those rimfires you mentioned are SAO I believe .

The main types of trigger options are:

SAO-typically the shortest and lightest trigger pull and reset, less chance that the weight of the trigger will push the sights off target, typically the easiest to shoot fast or slow. That's the reason they are used for Bullseye. IMO require the most training to master for combat/defense.

DAO-heaviest and longest pull and reset, you have to pay close attention to your trigger control being the typical 9-12lbs of weight can push sights off target if your technique is poor. Easy to train once trigger control is mastered.

DA/SA-all of the benefits and problems of a DAO on the first trigger pull, and all the benefits and problems of SAO on subsequent pulls. The biggest downside is switching from the DA pull to the SA pull in the middle of the first pair of shots, where you typically need the most skill out of all trigger modes. Training is fairly easy unless switching between the various modes of DA/SA styles(decockers or safeties et all)

Pre-cocked DA "safe action"-IMO the best mode for combat/defensive shooting for most people. Almost as fast and consistent as a SAO. It has a fairly heavy and long takeup with a difinitive "breaking point" and short reset, making the first shot and subsequent shots easier than DAO, but harder than SAO. And with safe action trigger, no need for external safety. Easier to train for.

Choose the type you prefer the most, and train, train, train, and train some more....

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Enter Walther PPQ M2, available in .22, 9mm, .40, and .45

Or any of the modern Walthers. PPS, PPQ, P99 all have most excellent triggers while being striker fired. Note the PPQ M2 in .22 is NOT striker fired. It's an entirely different gun from the real PPQs.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Why, then, does it seem impossible to develop center-fire pistols in defensive calibers (let's call it 9x19mm and more powerful) which do NOT have squishy, uneven, and just WEIRD feeling triggers.
    Have you tried a PPQ or an M&P that's had the Apex catalog thrown at it?

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    MAN, I hate getting caught in the middle of a brain-fart... I'd momentarily forgotten that absence of an exposed hammer does NOT automatically equal "hammerless"...

And I DO LIKE the H&K P7, except for its magazine release system and its caliber. I wish they'd made it in .40 S&W or .45 ACP, with a 1911-style magazine release.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I would lean towards the fact that a rimfire cartridge takes a lot less power to set off than a centerfire cartridge. Pinching a thin brass edge(22lr) is much easier with weak springs than doing the same to a primer.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you'd like an H&K P7 in .40S&W with a (basically) 1911-style mag release...well...they made those. They didn't make many but they did make them.

It was the P7M10.

Top Bottom