• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    That’s too bad and all, but given all that Trump exposed when he pulled back the curtain for a brief view of what really goes on in politics, I really won’t loose any sleep over his passing.

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    cfea52739d174cc9ff4e97d9b40bd6dd.jpg

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    Bob was a dear family friend. He had many a Sunday dinner at our house. He had a great sense of humor and a bitingly sarcastic wit. We have lost a true and great American.
    he always seemed like a good guy and I did not remember any of his political errors

Norm MacDonald did some great impressions of him on SNL
    c8bfd890ce57ec3c8d020a03eb53cf52.jpg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    That’s too bad and all, but given all that Trump exposed when he pulled back the curtain for a brief view of what really goes on in politics, I really won’t loose any sleep over his passing.
    He was the ONLY previous GOP nominee to endorse Trump. Given the back stabbing some of our prior presidents on "our side" did, endorsment was an impressive and courageous act to do alone. No man is perfect, but beyond a few pieces of legislation, I know of no glaring political faults.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    He was the ONLY previous GOP nominee to endorse Trump. Given the back stabbing some of our prior presidents on "our side" did, endorsment was an impressive and courageous act to do alone. No man is perfect, but beyond a few pieces of legislation, I know of no glaring political faults.

did not know that

did not expect Norm MacDonald to go before Bon Dole

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    RIP regardless of his screw-up on gun-control. He was an American soldier and essentially a war hero who was crippled in WWII while saving a fellow soldier in Germany.

I agree, Bob Dole was a politician with little to no controversy. RIP.

But apparently he had a big role in getting the Brady Bill passed, interesting read. https://www.gunowners.org/nws9402/
    He also supported Clinton era gun control attempts such as govt. gun buy backs and warrantless "sweeps" for firearms in Chicago.
    Like many establishment Republicans, Dole was not 100% on the side of the 2A.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    He should have never been the presidential candidate. Basically a pretty good guy and good politician, but his only claim to the White House was "I've been around a long time and it's my turn." That put the crooked Clintons in office.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    He should have never been the presidential candidate. Basically a pretty good guy and good politician, but his only claim to the White House was "I've been around a long time and it's my turn." That put the crooked Clintons in office.
    I disagree.

If that was true, Dole wouldn't have done so well in the primaries.

Who would have had a better chance against a personable and affable incumbent with a pretty good economy?
    91a4f4d53f04c5e4df2e5bb27956c83c.jpg

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I disagree.

If that was true, Dole wouldn't have done so well in the primaries.

Who would have had a better chance against a personable and affable incumbent with a pretty good economy?
    91a4f4d53f04c5e4df2e5bb27956c83c.jpg

I think the party machine did do the “he is due” routine with Dole. He was not an attractive candidate. HRC thought she was “due”, same for Dole. Some politicians have that something and some don’t. Dole may have been a great senator but I don’t think the average person cared or knew about him.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I think the party machine did do the “he is due” routine with Dole. He was not an attractive candidate. HRC thought she was “due”, same for Dole. Some politicians have that something and some don’t. Dole may have been a great senator but I don’t think the average person cared or knew about him.

He suffered the same lackadasical campaign as befell McCain (not that I'm a McCain fan in the slightest, but his campaign was shit)

Dole's run didn't put the Clintons in the White House - they were already there. I'm with @cycleguy2300 - who would've been the better candidate of those who ran? Pat Buchanan was painted as a horrible racist back then for daring to want stronger border control. Steve Forbes claim to fame was his hard push for the flat tax.

I don't necessarily think Dole got the nomination just because "it was his turn" though that's how politics seems to work. Of the three main candidates, Dole was the strongest.

I was a freshman in high school when that election took place. I wasn't nearly as keyed in to politics, and even leaned *gasp* democrat back then (raised in a democrat household, in a blue state, forgive me) but I didn't think Dole was a bad guy even then.

The GOP just has a problem with pushing younger, more energizing candidates. Bill Clinton was "young" for a presidential candidate back then. Democrats tend to push younger candidates. They're more attractive to younger voters. FJB being the exception, but he's the damn trojan horse to get Camel Toe in the door, so...

Everyone keeps talking up Donald Trump's 2024 chances - that needs to stop. Trump will be 78 years old in 2024. Enough with the septuagenarians. The GOP should be looking at people like Kristi Noem or Ron DeSantis - younger candidates who have strong support in their home states to start. They can play a good foil to the then-82 year old Biden - IF he survives and they actually run his corpse again. Not sure there's enough amphetamines, vitamins, and wonder drugs to keep that charade up, but who knows. Even if it turns out to be Harris or Clinton (that hag is coming back like a bad case of herpes) they can still play to the strengths of "less covid crisis" "better economy in our state" and a better plan going forward than "pudding at 10 and 2, with a diaper change after" or "foreign policy via fellatio" or whatever.

Dole was the best they had at the time. Shame it wasn't enough. Probably fraud committed in those elections too, and it was easier to get away with back then, then again, they got away with it real easy in 2020, despite all the evidence coming forth thru social media and alternative news sources.

Top Bottom