• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I used to read all his books the week they came out. Sorry to see him leave us at a young 66.

Author Tom Clancy, master of the modern-day thriller, dead at 66 - CNN.com

Tom_Clancy_Dead_Celebrated_Thriller-77eb0752dad109709ed03a68fee1bdcb.jpg
    Lynx Defense

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    BTW just to clarify, I'm not a felon or anything. I had and old misdemeanor from when I was 18 in KY. When moving from AZ back to Texas I went and sat it out for 20 days just in case it came up trying to get a job. Sucks paying for being a stupid teenager lol.

Back on topic, Tom will be sorely missed. I do have to credit him with helping me develop a love for reading and giving me a TON of reading points per book in school.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Can't tell you the last time I read a work of fiction...but I've enjoyed movies based on his writings. I know movies aren't the pure representation of the author's efforts; but I found them compelling, nonetheless. 66 is hitting pretty close to home!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    "The Cardinal of the Kremlin" was probably his best.

I served in Germany in 1982 right after a retired British General, Sir Winthrop Hackett had his book The Third World War: August 1985 published.

It was a sensational hit because it revealed actual NATO war plans in a fictional context of the Cold War and the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany. Most of us read the book and said among our selves, that if this shnitt happens, we are flocked.

Then Tom Clancy came along with his string of military/political thrillers that out did Sir Hackett by spades.

Sadly, Clancy in ill health, sought collaborators to help write his latest novels.

RIP

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Clancy provided many hours of adventure and enjoyment through his books and through the movies based upon his books. He is missed already.

Flash

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Way to ruin the evening.

I picked up Tom Clancy when I was 10.

I've read his books 5-6 times each some of them more. Hell Debt of honor was why I majored in economics in college. I wanted to be Jack Ryan. Crap I still do.

This is sad.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My ex-wife taught school with a lady whose husband was a retired career Navy man. We went to dinner at their house one night and I noticed "The Hunt for Red October" on the coffee table. He insisted that I take it home and read it. (The book had just come out a few months earlier.) He told me that he was amazed at how much Clancy understood about how things "really worked" in the Navy. When I got to the last 1/3 of the book, I couldn't stop reading - read it all night (and had to go to work on no sleep the next day). What a terrific author!

Sadly, I think his reputation got watered down over the last decade or so with all those ghost-written books with his name on the cover. None of them came close to his own work.

RIP, Tom!

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Sadly, I think his reputation got watered down over the last decade or so with all those ghost-written books with his name on the cover. None of them came close to his own work.

RIP, Tom!

200% agreed. A legit Clancy novel takes me a couple days to read, but something like one of the Op-Centre books (whose actual author escapes me right now), I can burn through in a couple hours if I'm just that bored.

Still need to get copies of Patriot Games (thankful I haven't seen the movie yet), Executive Orders, and Against All Enemies. Looking around to see if any local book stores know for sure when the next/last book that truthfully bears his name will hit shelves, 'cause I won't hesitate to grab a copy when it does.

My only regret is waiting until earlier this year to pick up one of his books and start reading. Well, that and the fact that I started off with Red Rabbit, then went back to The Hunt for Red October.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    This makes me sad. They adapted a few of his books into video games like multiple versions of Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, and HAWX. He was a genius when it came to warfare. Rest in peace, Mr. Clancy.

Top Bottom