• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Finally got up my nerve to do this yesterday. Should have been done a long time ago, before I ever shot it.
    It's pretty easy to do using Brownell's Cerrosafe. For those that might not have done this, the melted alloy will fill and possibly lock itself into any "nook or cranny" in the chamber area. I used aluminum tape to seal off the extractor notch and slot so that I wouldn't qualify for my gunsmith's "Did you screw with it" labor rate.

Well, I gotta apologize. I thought the photo got included this time around, but I can't seem to get it scaled correctly so that it will post correctly. Been an ongoing thing for me... sometimes I manage to get it right, most of the time... no.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    The attachment won't load for me, either.

Flash
    And yet, when I "log in", it opens fine for me.:confused:

If you could see it, you'd see a smooth transition from the chamber through the leade into the rifling.
    My understanding is that some of the "Danes" had their chambers reamed with a 45-70 reamer (which is what I'm shooting) after importing. To my "novice" eyes, I can see no sign of reaming. Some people will state that after conversion from rimfire, the rifles were chambered to 11.7 x 56 mm. The warnings one hears is that if it's actually a 11.7 x 51 mm, then the ~ -0.10" difference between it and the 45-70 case length can cause a crimp and over pressure. So here I am doing a safety check, roughly 15 years after the fact. To be honest, the fired cases never showed any warning signs, but I thought I'd try doing things the right way, as I'm getting ready to load up some rounds and see if I can still ring the gong.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Texan-in-Training,

I, too, have a Danish RB (made at the Copenhagen arsenal, re-chambered to 11.7x56mm in 1896 & thereafter reissued to the Coast Artillery troops.) & it shoots 1873 Springfield "Trapdoor safe" .45-70 factory loads just fine, with nothing more than a single wrap of scotch tape just forward of the rim.
    (After firing the cases fit the Danish chamber with no tape needed & W/O "case distortion".)

My "Dane" will shoot either 11.7x51mm or the 11.7x56mm rounds equally well, as (at least mine) has no "step" in the chamber/barrel.

WARNING to All: Some of the Danish RB rifles were re-chambered from the old rimfire configuration to 11.7x41mm or 11.7x45 centerfire without any other modification, some were re-chambered/re-bored to the 11.7x51mm case length, some were re-chambered to the 11.7x56mm case AND some others were "re-bored" by an importer to (supposedly) .45-70.
    (I've talked to two knowledgeable gunsmiths, who have seen some Danish RBs actually "blow-up" from people firing US .45-70 cartridges for modern rifles in one of the several "old chamberings".)
    The "bottom line": Make SURE which Danish chambering that your RB is.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    satx,

Thanks for the information. It's pretty much what I've run across while researching the firearm.
    Mine is the "Coastal Artillery" model... has the special sight and button on the middle forestock band.
    Your warning about ammo is "spot on". When I first was shooting it, I wasn't as much of a "keyboard warrior" as I now am and hadn't read any of the accounts of failures at the time. The idea of being buried with a chunk of 150 year old Danish metal lodged inside my temple wasn't appealing and helped motivate me to do the chamber cast.
    The rifle shoots a Lee 405 gr HB cast bullet in front of about 60 grs of 2F or 3f pretty well. I have no desire to play with smokeless or even Trail Boss like some folks do.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I love the stuff and cast the muzzles of my Russian rifles with it.

Brownells is great to do business with but that casting allow at Rotometals is a bit cheaper. Check it out! You get more for a lot less cash.

https://www.rotometals.com/chamber-casting-alloy-ingot/

Flash
    Nice! Thanks! They have lots of stuff I can spend money on...
    smiley-laughing002.gif

This is what I get when I click the attachment link:

vBulletin Message
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
    At first I thought maybe my computer was tricking me, creating a "path" back to my hard drive. The picture I see shows the URL being TGT... so I don't know. This stuff makes my head hurt...

Top Bottom