• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    my wife told me if i quit smoking i could buy a new gun. I was thinking about picking up a romak 3/psl anyone know anything about them, i saw that there is a paratrooper model anyone know where to get one?
    Target Sports

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I have one.

Random thoughts on it...
    It's basically what it looks like - an AK action scaled up to take 7.62x54R. If you're looking for a rifle that's as graceful as a Remington 700, only semi-automatic and magazine-fed, you need to look elsewhere.

Some people really dislike the ergonomics. I have long-ish arms and can't complain too badly, although like all other AK-pattern rifles that I've handled, I wish that the length of pull were a bit longer.

Bear in mind that the Romanians built the PSL with the same purposes as the Russians built the SVD - as a designated marksman rifle rather than as the sniper rifle that Americans like to think of it as. As such, it is not as accurate as a typical bolt-action rifle nor an M14 or AR-10. Its purpose is to lay down accurate fire at greater ranges than the typical AK-armed rifleman can manage while retaining the ability to lay down rapid fire to support infantry. Supposed accuracy with quality ammunition is ~2MOA - sufficient to hit a man-sized target at 600 meters.

The muzzle break combined with the spring in the buttplate keeps the recoil at approximtaely AK-47 levels (given the additional oomph of 7.62x54R vs 7.62x39, that's an accomplishment).

Magazine availability was very tight last time I checked. Expect to pay more than $20/magazine. Always remember that PSL's use proprietary magazines - they don't take SVD magazines.

The PSL supposedly does not care for heavy ball ammunition.

My LPS-4 scope reticle zeroed decidedly off the center of the field of view. Its adjustments are exceptionally coarse relative to regular rifle scopes. The scope reticle will no longer be illuminated since all scopes included with rifles are decades old and the tritium emitter has expired.

I don't know about a "paratrooper" version, but AIM Surplus has them in stock.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    IMO, while it's not as accurate as a western dedicated sniper system, it's much easier to learn to use effectively. I like the reticles the Soviets chose for their scopes; the range finder is stupidly simple and effective (unlike the unwieldy mil-dot system), and chevron aim points are very easy to adjust for range.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I have had mine for about 6 months now and only put about 300 rds
    threw it and I like it. The stock is a little short but a extened recoil pad
    made it better and of corse the trigger needs a little work as it is pretty stiff.
    All in all tho it is a fun gun to shoot and at my age I can still keep my rounds in an 8 inch plate at 100 yds
    Also check out www.classicarms.us they have them also.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    hmm I just may get one, I really want the paratrooper model but apparently they dont import them anymore

I can't find any information on a "paratrooper" model of the PSL. There's a folding-stock version of the SVD (SVDS), but those will cost you a lot of pain to import (if at all) then cost you a princely sum to obtain.

The SVD is a different animal from the PSL. It has different internals that are mechanically incompatible with the AK/PSL.

Top Bottom