Venture Surplus ad

Romanian PSL-54 rifles, anyone have one or shot one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I was on a quest to go check out the South CMP store in December and pick up a service grade Garand, but I was informed recently that there are no more for sale in store and certainly won't be by the time I'd be looking to check i out. Bummer.

Thing is, I'm still looking for a .30 cal semi-auto rifle that uses detachable magazines. I thought about a PTR-91 but they are simply out of my price range, same with an M1A. This brings my attention to a PSL-54. I have lots of 7.62x54R because I have a few Mosins, most of it is light ball, which I hear these things work better with. I've also heard they are roughly 2 M.O.A. rifles with decent ammunition, which is acceptable for my use.

I just want to see if anyone has ever purchased one. They hover right around the price range I'm looking to spend and are available. I'd really like a Garand but they are too expensive outside the CMP and I'd rather not buy a really ragged out rack or field grade like they have for sale currently in the store.

Thanks.
    Hurley's Gold

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    what about a saiga .308??

I have considered it, although the factory sporter stocks are not that great IMO, I'd like one with a pistol grip. I know you can convert them but I'm not really looking for a project like that, I don't have the tools or space to do something like that at home. Plus I'd like something with a longer than 16 or 18 inch barrel.

If I could buy one converted already in my price range I'd consider it more.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Pretty sure I could get you a converted .308. Dunno about your price range.

Give these guys a call.

Contact Us
    Tell them I sent you so they can jack the price up.

Don't worry about them being in CA. They can convert it and simply ship without the pistol grip on the rifle. You install that (one screw) when you get it.

Oh, and what's the intended use for this rifle?

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking to spend up to $750 but I'd like something that will be somewhat accurate for that price. A PSL costs up to $750 but it comes with a scope. The Garand costs about $600 and obviously has no optics.

I'd really like something that will shoot accurately out to 500 yards if I need it. Honestly I'm looking for something that I would probably shoot at 200 yards most of the time at a deer's head/neck. I'd be looking to purchase something around December, I don't know what deal they could get me on a converted 20 inch barreled Saiga in .308.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Seems to me it wouldnt take much to convert the stock. Both are based on the ak. Should just be two top screws and then wiggle it out. Theres a kit out there that allows the use of hand gaurds on the saiga.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I have had one for about a year now and I like it .
    I have installed a 2in extended butt pad so the stock is a little longer
    and intend to have the trigger asembly worked on to smooth it out.
    Its a little stiff and throws me off . I like it so much I sold my m-14
    and bought more 7.63x54, now I just have to sell the milsurp 7.62x51 nato.
    And for cleaning it is so easy to tear down even a caveman could do it.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    The PSL is an AK-47 action scaled up for 7.62x54R. It has recoil similar to an AK thanks to the recoil spring in the butt pad and the surprisingly large brake.

It is not polished like a quality bolt gun or even an AR-10. Its purpose is not as a sniper rifle, but a designated marksman rifle, the the purpose of providing rapid accurate fire out to ~600m or so. Since it's based on the AK, it has the same operating system and similar heavy bolt/carrier slinging around every shot. I've only shot mine on a 100yard range a handful of times, and its accuracy is somewhat less than a scoped AR and noticeably less than a decent scoped bolt gun.

tenfeathers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    crawford tx
    I have one and I love it, resonably accurate out to 500 yrds. Not the prettiest rifle but cheap to shoot low maintance . I can get 2 1/2 " groups at 200 yrds.
    Also have 308 m1a & cetme but like the PSL
    jst my 2cts

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Seems to me it wouldnt take much to convert the stock. Both are based on the ak. Should just be two top screws and then wiggle it out. Theres a kit out there that allows the use of hand gaurds on the saiga.

You have to make some changes to the trigger, too, and IIRC you need to fill and relocate the trigger hole to make it work for the pistol grip.

I have had one for about a year now and I like it .
    I have installed a 2in extended butt pad so the stock is a little longer
    and intend to have the trigger asembly worked on to smooth it out.
    Its a little stiff and throws me off . I like it so much I sold my m-14
    and bought more 7.63x54, now I just have to sell the milsurp 7.62x51 nato.
    And for cleaning it is so easy to tear down even a caveman could do it.

There isn't a lot you can do with an AK trigger, to be honest (trust me, I've looked and tried). I think that Red Star Arms might sell an adjustable two-stage/single-stage trigger system that will fit in a PSL. It'll definitely work in an AK. They cost about $100.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    There isn't a lot you can do with an AK trigger, to be honest (trust me, I've looked and tried). I think that Red Star Arms might sell an adjustable two-stage/single-stage trigger system that will fit in a PSL. It'll definitely work in an AK. They cost about $100.
    An anti-slap trigger is really the only thing worth putting on an AK given its other inherent accuracy limitations.

The PSL trigger is already anti-slap. It would benefit from less travel once pre-travel has been taken up, but it's not difficult to find the point of release. Personally, I wish it were like the stock trigger on my AR - zero pre-travel with ~1mm of relatively stiff pull until it releases.

tenfeathers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    crawford tx
    Saiga

I have considered it, although the factory sporter stocks are not that great IMO, I'd like one with a pistol grip. I know you can convert them but I'm not really looking for a project like that, I don't have the tools or space to do something like that at home. Plus I'd like something with a longer than 16 or 18 inch barrel.

If I could buy one converted already in my price range I'd consider it more.

The saiga can be coverted to a pistol grip,and move the trigger forward approx 120.00 . I have converted 3 of them takes about 3 hrs for first one by the third one it took me 1 hr. All parts can be bought here great guy
    [url]http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com[/URL] Greg Queen
    hope this helps
    paul

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    An anti-slap trigger is really the only thing worth putting on an AK given its other inherent accuracy limitations.

The PSL trigger is already anti-slap. It would benefit from less travel once pre-travel has been taken up, but it's not difficult to find the point of release. Personally, I wish it were like the stock trigger on my AR - zero pre-travel with ~1mm of relatively stiff pull until it releases.

I use the Tapco triggers in AKs, they don't slap. The travel is long, but very light. I wound up modding my trigger slightly to make it more of a two-stage, since my only complaint about an AK trigger is that you don't know where the let-off is (Ok, two complaints; it's too light). I re-shaped the disconnect and put a spacer under the disconnect spring to stiffen it. Now, right before the hooks let the hammer go, the disconnect pushes against the bottom of the hammer to increase the effort enough for me to feel.

Probably can't bumpfire it from the shoulder as easy now, but it worked great for knowing exactly when the gun is going to fire.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The saiga can be coverted to a pistol grip,and move the trigger forward approx 120.00 . I have converted 3 of them takes about 3 hrs for first one by the third one it took me 1 hr. All parts can be bought here great guy
    http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com[url]http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com[/URL] Greg Queen
    hope this helps
    paul

I appreciate the information. I've thought about it and decided that if I were going to buy an AK-variant I'd just go ahead and purchase a PSL. The 20" barrel on the Saiga would be pretty good, but I think the PSL will be more accurate and I will get a scope as well. I know the PSL is probably more expensive as a single purchase, but if I converted a Saiga and got the POSP scope for it I would be up to about the same price. I do reload .308 and have plenty, but I have much more 7.62x54R.

I will still keep this idea open, in case it gets to where I'm looking to buy and PSLs have dried up or something.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I bought a PSL a while back, I like it ok - always wanted a Drag, but that is unlikely to happen....

The only things I have done to it are -

1. Polish the trigger/sear surfaces to smooth out the pull a bit.

2. Cut through the welds on the muzzle brake to reveal perfectly good M14 X 1.0 LH threads.

It's a neat old gun, ammo is still relatively cheap and I have developed a process to reload both steel and brass berdan cases (I am a CNC machinist). Bought mine from Centerfire Systems for around $800 with 5 mags, bayo, mag pouch, cleaning kit, scope.

Top Bottom