• ...and so much more!
  • TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    My family is in the thick if livestock show season so I missed this thread until today. I usually use Tapatalk to view TGT & it does a poor job with notifications.

My thoughts:

1. Many teeth treated with root canals should have been extracted to start.

2. ALL root canals should be done by an endodontist. I don't care how easy your dentists says the root canal will be and how many root canals they say they have done. In San Antonio I recommend Oak Hills Endodontics. In New Braunfels I like Hill Country Endodontics.

3. Redoing a root canal has a lower success rate, probably 50% success at 5 years. I don't have a source on that.

4. NO dental work is absolutely guaranteed to last your life. Neither are car repairs but we all spend money repairing our cars then repairing them again later.

5. Pulling a tooth fixes all problems from that tooth permanently. Pulling several teeth makes eating tough.

6. Missing teeth NEVER "NEED" to be replaced. EVER. No one dies from missing teeth. Replacing teeth is elective. Do not be pressured into it. Yes, teeth may shift if there is an open spot and it may be difficult to replace the missing tooth later if you wait too long.

7. Dental implant have a WAY higher success rate than a redo root canal.

8. Many dentists doing dental implant surgery are practicing beyond their training. They have inappropriately high complication rates & don't know how to handle complications.

9. Most bone grafts done to prepare for implants are unnecessary and are just money makers.

10. Bone and gum surgery to save "ailing" implants are generally unsuccessful, a waste of time and money, and an unnecessary risk to the patient.

11. Most doctors and dentists do not really discuss risks and benefits with patients.

Whether or not to have a root canal is mostly a financial decision. The endodontist should be honest with you about the realistic chance of success. Success is defined as immediate relief of pain and infection AND the chance the tooth will be healthy & pain-free in 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years. Once you have those opinions, you can make a decision about how to spend your money.
    Military Camp

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    With the exception of having one of my lower wisdom teeth pulled about 10 years ago, I haven't been to a dentist in almost 45 years. The dentist that my mom took us to when I was young was a butcher, the last time I went there I was 14.
    The only reason I'll ever go to another dentist is to get a tooth pulled, and at 58+ years old, I still have all but one of them.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    My family is in the thick if livestock show season so I missed this thread until today. I usually use Tapatalk to view TGT & it does a poor job with notifications.

My thoughts:

1. Many teeth treated with root canals should have been extracted to start.

2. ALL root canals should be done by an endodontist. I don't care how easy your dentists says the root canal will be and how many root canals they say they have done. In San Antonio I recommend Oak Hills Endodontics. In New Braunfels I like Hill Country Endodontics.

3. Redoing a root canal has a lower success rate, probably 50% success at 5 years. I don't have a source on that.

4. NO dental work is absolutely guaranteed to last your life. Neither are car repairs but we all spend money repairing our cars then repairing them again later.

5. Pulling a tooth fixes all problems from that tooth permanently. Pulling several teeth makes eating tough.

6. Missing teeth NEVER "NEED" to be replaced. EVER. No one dies from missing teeth. Replacing teeth is elective. Do not be pressured into it. Yes, teeth may shift if there is an open spot and it may be difficult to replace the missing tooth later if you wait too long.

7. Dental implant have a WAY higher success rate than a redo root canal.

8. Many dentists doing dental implant surgery are practicing beyond their training. They have inappropriately high complication rates & don't know how to handle complications.

9. Most bone grafts done to prepare for implants are unnecessary and are just money makers.

10. Bone and gum surgery to save "ailing" implants are generally unsuccessful, a waste of time and money, and an unnecessary risk to the patient.

11. Most doctors and dentists do not really discuss risks and benefits with patients.

Whether or not to have a root canal is mostly a financial decision. The endodontist should be honest with you about the realistic chance of success. Success is defined as immediate relief of pain and infection AND the chance the tooth will be healthy & pain-free in 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years. Once you have those opinions, you can make a decision about how to spend your money.
    And that, folks is why I tagged the man.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My dentist, who seems great recommend a root canal on two of my teeth that needed crowns. We talked about it for a minute then I declined the root canal and have had zero problems having the crown on a live tooth.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    <>

The modern World is going to implants. Sure, there were all sorts of problems with them early-on, but now our Dental experts have pretty-well mastered the techniques & skills involved, so troubles are minimal.

You in Austin are blessed to have two excellent Experts in this area; Brad Theriot DDS & Art Mendez DDS.

see: https://doctor.webmd.com/doctor/brad-theriot-beb643ef-2dcc-425b-b88f-761048714e75-overview. Brad is a UL & UT OMFS Surgeon with decades of experience and one helluva nice Guy

&

https://www.sharecare.com/doctor/dr-arturo-j-mendez. Mendez trained @ the National University, CD MX, and served as Chief of Prosthodontics @ LSU Dental for years. Art was our ‘’Dentist’’ before we all left N.O.

Brad does extactions, grafting, and can do the bases. Art does the crowns, bridges, and finish-up things. Both are first-rate.

leVieux

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Well I had a root canal about 20 years ago. The last fall the dental gal was doing a teeth cleaning and noticed swelling. They took some kind of x-ray and said I had a bone infection. Sent me to the endodontist who took more pictures and said three teeth needed to come out The dentist said implant for you kind sir. After looking at several oral surgeons I contacted our local tooth puller. He took out all three in about a half hour according to my wife, I was out. And it was way less expensive than the other guys even with dental insurance, many kudos to @TX OMFS , I highly recommend him. Now waiting for stuff to heal to start on the implant process.

tangoparson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2017
    Well I had a root canal about 20 years ago. The last fall the dental gal was doing a teeth cleaning and noticed swelling. They took some kind of x-ray and said I had a bone infection. Sent me to the endodontist who took more pictures and said three teeth needed to come out The dentist said implant for you kind sir. After looking at several oral surgeons I contacted our local tooth puller. He took out all three in about a half hour according to my wife, I was out. And it was way less expensive than the other guys even with dental insurance, many kudos to @TX OMFS , I highly recommend him. Now waiting for stuff to heal to start on the implant process.

Omfs is the man!!! I have and would drive from Dallas to San Antonio to see him over the Quacks up here.

My wife is needing some extractions and I am twisting her arm (as hard as a red heads arm can be twisted) to get an appointment, at least for a second opinion.

That sedation is the bee’s knees. Wife and I were talking about it and I remember no nerves before and feeling good when i woke up. No pain after either. Hell, if I could find another excuse……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom