• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geocole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    San Antonio TX
    Looking for a cheap but accurate rifle just to punch paper, out to 200 yards.
    The two I had in mind Is the Rossi and the H&R., in the .223 or .243
    Just some input please on which is the best value and will be the most accurate.
    Thank You
    Hurley's Gold

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My friend has a Rossi in .223, and I used to have an NEF in .308. I like both rifles but have some complaints about them as well. Both are going to be front-heavy, so hunting with either is going to take some getting used to. The Rossi is nice because it has a safety, but since they are single-action triggers and they both have transfer bars, it's not really necessary (I cannot remember if the Rossi will let you be cocked with the safety on). The trigger isn't the best on either rifle weight wise, but it's heavier on the Rossi for sure. My buddy hasn't really figured out a load for his Rossi yet, but it seems somewhat accurate. My .308 was extremely accurate though, I punched some small groups with it.

308groupvs3.jpg

That is a 100 yard group out of my former .308. The two shots on the right were sight-ins. That was 3 shots all overlapping in the diamond. Those were of course handloads I came up with through some experimentation, but the rifle was capable of great bench accuracy. I finally upgraded to a bolt-action and traded that rifle in at the same time. It was a good bench gun but the imbalance of it always made it annoying to hunt with. I did have the synthetic stocked version, so a wood stocked one would be more balanced.

I wish I had some more insight with the Rossi, but I haven't shot it much.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Braztech-Rossi might be your best choice.For some reason the H&R have not been available.Have had customers ask for both and the Rossi is the only ones we have been able to get our hands on.

Shaolin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    which refer to model the H&R?
    I would buy one but I do not know either!

Thanks!

I would prefer the .308 survivor model for $250 at Gun Gallery. You have a short, heavy barreled rifle perfect for a deer blind. .308 is a great round for hunting small and large game. I prefer the Hornady or Winchester Supreme Silvertip in 168 grain.

Top Bottom