Rossi r97 .357 mag. Revolver

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by robertl1974, Jun 28, 2008.

1. robertl1974

robertl1974 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    what do think of this gun academy has it for sale $329 are they ok i would like to buy a Revolver does anybody owns one thanks :rofl:

2. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I believe they are closely related to Taurus revolvers. If that's truly the case, they should be good.

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I've heard a few stories about Taurus having finish problems, otherwise they seem to be mechanically sound.

4. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    I had a Rossi R971 4" that was a good gun.Carried it for years with no problems.I used 38 special rounds for plinking and 357 rounds for defense.

5. Southcross1

Southcross1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    IMO,

With tax on the Rossi, $356 will get a 90%+ S&W or Ruger SP101. Better quailty, and they'll hold more value then the Rossi.

Charter Arms even makes a lower grade of revolver that beats the Rossi.

6. shinerjohn

shinerjohn New Member

Nothing wrong with Rossi

I don't have the 971, but I do own the 462 (2" 357) and 851 (4" 38spec). They are both very dependable. I couldn't be happier with either of them. It's true the resale value is not all that high, but I don't buy a gun planning to get rid of it later. I have found Rossi revolvers to be solid and reliable. And I bought both of them at Academy Sports!!!

7. robertl1974

robertl1974 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    yeah i am looking for a fun/range gun i don't have plans to sell what does 90% mean i was also looking at the Ruger GP-100 357 Mag 6in that is a nice looking gun

8. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I have a GP100 with a 4" barrel and it's been great. Built like a tank, handles well, and recoil is manageable with every round I've tried.

9. Roadkill Bill

Roadkill Bill New Member

It really is true with firearms that you get what you pay for. I have not heard anything really negative about the Rossi, but they are owned by Taurus, and I have heard plenty of negative feedback on their quality control and customer service these days. The Rossi may actually be better than the Taurus today.

If you were looking at a Ruger GP100 and like it, for heaven sakes save up a few more bucks and get it. You will NEVER regret getting a Ruger over a South American gun. Smith & Wesson and Ruger make the best double action revolvers, and their customer service is excellent. Like Southcross1 suggested, I'd even go with Charter Arms before the south of the border stuff. Buy American, you won't be sorry. Neither will your grandchildren when they inherit your guns.

10. robertl1974

robertl1974 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    well guys i got it i brought it and went to shiloh on saturday and i love it it is easy to shoot and love the flame that come out of the gun the only thing i do not like or the finger prints this gun is hard to kept clean in a few week i might buy there snub nose 357 :banger:
    rossiright.jpg