• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 4, 2008
    I had a Rossi R971 4" that was a good gun.Carried it for years with no problems.I used 38 special rounds for plinking and 357 rounds for defense.

Southcross1

Jul 1, 2008
    IMO,

With tax on the Rossi, $356 will get a 90%+ S&W or Ruger SP101. Better quailty, and they'll hold more value then the Rossi.

Charter Arms even makes a lower grade of revolver that beats the Rossi.

shinerjohn

Jun 10, 2008
    Central Texas
    Nothing wrong with Rossi

I don't have the 971, but I do own the 462 (2" 357) and 851 (4" 38spec). They are both very dependable. I couldn't be happier with either of them. It's true the resale value is not all that high, but I don't buy a gun planning to get rid of it later. I have found Rossi revolvers to be solid and reliable. And I bought both of them at Academy Sports!!!

robertl1974

Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    yeah i am looking for a fun/range gun i don't have plans to sell what does 90% mean i was also looking at the Ruger GP-100 357 Mag 6in that is a nice looking gun

idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    yeah i am looking for a fun/range gun i don't have plans to sell what does 90% mean i was also looking at the Ruger GP-100 357 Mag 6in that is a nice looking gun

I have a GP100 with a 4" barrel and it's been great. Built like a tank, handles well, and recoil is manageable with every round I've tried.

It really is true with firearms that you get what you pay for. I have not heard anything really negative about the Rossi, but they are owned by Taurus, and I have heard plenty of negative feedback on their quality control and customer service these days. The Rossi may actually be better than the Taurus today.

If you were looking at a Ruger GP100 and like it, for heaven sakes save up a few more bucks and get it. You will NEVER regret getting a Ruger over a South American gun. Smith & Wesson and Ruger make the best double action revolvers, and their customer service is excellent. Like Southcross1 suggested, I'd even go with Charter Arms before the south of the border stuff. Buy American, you won't be sorry. Neither will your grandchildren when they inherit your guns.

robertl1974

Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    well guys i got it i brought it and went to shiloh on saturday and i love it it is easy to shoot and love the flame that come out of the gun the only thing i do not like or the finger prints this gun is hard to kept clean in a few week i might buy there snub nose 357
    rossiright.jpg

Trent

Oct 13, 2008
    Rossi r97 357 mag. Revolver

the last revolver I owned was back in the 80's. I had a Ruger GP357, and I admit I was foolish to sell it. Since then it's only been Semi Auto's for me, but when my pops picked up a revolver a month ago, I started to remember why I enjoyed my Ruger so much. I went out looking for a smoke wagon of my own, and when I saw Smith N Wesson's 6" entry and it's price tag of over 6 bills, and Rugers entry not much cheaper, I decided to look at the lower end of the spectrum and see if they were all garbage, or if there might be something worth buying. I've always trusted Taurus, and since Rossi is now owned by Taurus, I thought ok what the heck. I bought the 6" Rossi. It took a couple of times at the range to get the sight adjusted properly (nice feature adjustable rear sight) but I am totally impressed. at 7 or even 10 yards, this thing is very accurate. I have not tried any +p rounds through this gun yet, but the standard 158 grain 357 round shoots like butter. If your trying to "cowboy" shoot, the trigger is a little long, and it takes a little getting use to but it seems to be really well made. For the money this really is a good weapon, now I guess we will see how it does over time.

hk boy

Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    i bought a SS 6 shot Rossi .357 magnum snub nose from Academy.
    great little gun for the money--$300 before tax
    not a S&W, but does not cost like one either

WB5MHA

Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Rossi is owned by Taurus. Rossi handguns are pretty common overseas, especially Latin America. That is not an endorsement. It means they are inexpensive in places where income levels are low and firearms are sometimes taxed 100 percent over retail US price.

Worse,in Central America handgun ammo is sold by the round. Nobody buys a fifty dollar box of centerfire pistol ammo.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I don't own own one but my cuz has snubby his wife got for him and I shot it for a little while at the range. I liked it hit everything I shot at out 15 yards.

Top Bottom