• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clawmarks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    Let me start by saying - this is meant to be a discussion, not an argument. I'd like to share my thought process and learn from yours, I'm not questioning anyone's judgement, needless to say - you can (and should) carry however you feel like is best for you.

Having said that, I'd like to better understand - how come so many people (majority?) are carrying with a round in the chamber?

To me, concealed carry is all about risk management. For me, the gun's purpose is to protect the people I care about, myself, and others when facing extreme circumstances.
    That being said, I also understand that in reality the gun can inflict damage to the aforementioned group, so I'm always trying to find a balance. Case in point: Even though I'd like it to be quickly available in the case of intruder, I also don't want it to be available to guests (and/or dwellers) that may lack proper training or judgement - so the final outcome is locking it in a quick access safe instead of just keeping it in a drawer next to my bed.

But that's not the point, I'm here to discuss about a round in the chamber -
    What's the difference between carrying with or without it?

The positives: In case you got to the point of presenting the firearm, you're ready to engage without the delay of cocking it. Additionally, if you don't carry S/A D/A or revolver, you gain the benefit of single hand operation.

The negatives: Significantly easier to misfire, riskier in a situations of someone getting their hands on the gun (even without malicious intent), generally can cause a lot more damage in case of any "user error".

Now, I see myself as a responsible gun owner, but I also acknowledge the fact that probably 99.99% of the people that suffered any kind of self-inflicted accidental discharge (whether by themselves, or by someone they care about) also saw themselves this way, so if the entire argument is "it cannot happen to me because I'm me" then there's no actual discussion here.

To me, it's about comparing probabilities - very very low probabilities, but since there's a HUGE damage involved it's important enough to evaluate. It seems to me that the probability of [having to present] x [failing to operate because of the extra step required] is lower than the probability of [any accidental discharge].

What's your take on the subject?

(and again, I'm not trying to prove me/you right/wrong(!), it's about sharing thoughts and learning from each other, if you sensed that I mean something else then please know that I didn't)
    Target Sports

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I hope you keep a round chambered in your carry gun.

At home should be slightly more forgiving, but every gun I have which is loaded, has a round in the chamber.

I don't have to worry about kids or guests in my home.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    giphy.gif

Attachments

• giphy.gif
      giphy.gif
      3.7 MB · Views: 1,572

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    My take is this...

You should maintain YOUR gun in a manner that is safe and most comfortable for YOU. PERIOD.

All guns not on my person in my home are either loaded or not.

All loaded guns are either readily accessible and hidden, or in my safe at the ready, and have a full magazine and an empty chamber.

I carry striker fire guns with a loaded chamber. I didn’t at first.

In the military, when deployed, unless we were outside the wire, our weapons were all in condition 3 (loaded mags, empty chambers), and we had to stop upon entering the base and clear them at the gate.

My thoughts on carry guns are it is ALL a personal choice. Carry the firearm you are comfortable with, in the condition you are most comfortable with, based on your level of competency and confidence.

Folks who say carrying on an empty chamber is like carrying a brick are wrong, because of several reasons, the most obvious being “you can’t turn a brick into a gun.”

1. The odds of you actually needing your concealed carry are extremely rare.

2. The odds of you needing it immediately, at bad breath distance, are even more rare.

3. The majority of the times you may need your firearm, you will have time to draw it and run the slide and turn your brick into a gun.

4. If you are safe and can operate your carry gun, I’d prefer you carry it in with/on an empty chamber rather than not carrying it at all. Again, if needed, it goes from brick to gun in an instant.

5. If you live or work in a bad area where the odds of you needing to draw your gun are higher than average, I suggest you train hard to get to carrying with a loaded chamber...but only when you are confident and feel safe about it.

yes, there are obviously downsides to an empty chamber. But many folks don’t have the proficiency to draw fast and accurate and engage a threat safely...those people are better to take immediate evasive action like run or hide and draw the gun from a safe place.

There are a thousand scenarios I can think of that will play out on either side of this argument in a thousand different ways due to a bunch of variables. No right answer for any of them...

The more you carry and train with your firearm, the more proficient and confident you will become, and you may get to the point where you choose to carry on a loaded chamber.

Carrying a gun is a personal choice...I don’t worry about what others say, who won’t be responsible for MY actions.

Last edited:

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

If I was going to carry without a round in the chamber, I’d rather just carry a club.

lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    ^"it's about sharing thoughts and learning from each other, if you sensed that I mean something else then please know that I didn't)"
    I carry one in the chamber in my Glock. My thoughts are if I need it, I need it NOW! That's the whole reason I carry. If I need it in a few then I'm not drawing yet. As posted above, what if your support hand is injured or unavailable for what ever reason. You don't have time to rack a slide.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    So your attacker has one hand held up good luck moving the slide

you hand is injured in the fight good luck with the slide

the gun with a bullet in the chamber will not fire unless you pull the b ang switch
    I am in no way supportive of carrying on an empty chamber in most modern currently made firearms so please don't think my reply is supportive of it. I carry with a live round in the chamber on any of my carry guns.

What I am replying to is that you evidently seem to believe that a person who cannot use one hand, for whatever reason, cannot operate the slide on a semi-automatic pistol. Truth is there are one handed operation techniques for a handgun that include racking the slide. This is something that LE training almost always includes and that non-LEO pistol training should also cover but apparently does not in too many cases; although, I am sure the training is out there if you have the bucks to pay for an advanced class.

As for the idea that a firearm cannot fire unless the trigger is pulled, with all due respect - that is a dangerous idea to hold. Many firearms have inertia firing pins, some others may have faulty mechanisms, other poor design, they sometimes do not need the trigger to be pulled to fire them. Applying enough force by striking them in a certain manner, hitting them on a hard surface such as dropping them can sometimes make them fire. Granted, you probably cannot fire them reliably without squeezing the trigger but you most certainly can cause some shotguns, rifles, and handguns to fire without ever touching the trigger.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    On the contrary, the point was to read about various opinions and perhaps learn from it, I had no idea people will get so aggravated about the subject (nor do I understand why).

Most people have strong feelings one way, or the other, and think everybody else is wrong.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Let me start by saying - this is meant to be a discussion, not an argument. I'd like to share my thought process and learn from yours, I'm not questioning anyone's judgement, needless to say - you can (and should) carry however you feel like is best for you.

Having said that, I'd like to better understand - how come so many people (majority?) are carrying with a round in the chamber?

To me, concealed carry is all about risk management. For me, the gun's purpose is to protect the people I care about, myself, and others when facing extreme circumstances.
    That being said, I also understand that in reality the gun can inflict damage to the aforementioned group, so I'm always trying to find a balance. Case in point: Even though I'd like it to be quickly available in the case of intruder, I also don't want it to be available to guests (and/or dwellers) that may lack proper training or judgement - so the final outcome is locking it in a quick access safe instead of just keeping it in a drawer next to my bed.

But that's not the point, I'm here to discuss about a round in the chamber -
    What's the difference between carrying with or without it?

The positives: In case you got to the point of presenting the firearm, you're ready to engage without the delay of cocking it. Additionally, if you don't carry S/A D/A or revolver, you gain the benefit of single hand operation.

The negatives: Significantly easier to misfire, riskier in a situations of someone getting their hands on the gun (even without malicious intent), generally can cause a lot more damage in case of any "user error".

Now, I see myself as a responsible gun owner, but I also acknowledge the fact that probably 99.99% of the people that suffered any kind of self-inflicted accidental discharge (whether by themselves, or by someone they care about) also saw themselves this way, so if the entire argument is "it cannot happen to me because I'm me" then there's no actual discussion here.

To me, it's about comparing probabilities - very very low probabilities, but since there's a HUGE damage involved it's important enough to evaluate. It seems to me that the probability of [having to present] x [failing to operate because of the extra step required] is lower than the probability of [any accidental discharge].

What's your take on the subject?

(and again, I'm not trying to prove me/you right/wrong(!), it's about sharing thoughts and learning from each other, if you sensed that I mean something else then please know that I didn't)
    Sigh.

Good intentions paved the road to hell..

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    On the contrary, the point was to read about various opinions and perhaps learn from it, I had no idea people will get so aggravated about the subject (nor do I understand why).

There is, quite literally, nothing new under the sun regarding this subject since the advent of the repeating firearm.

Instead of reading opinions, find an instructor who will put you through various drills in each of the carry conditions and decide for yourself the advantages and disadvantages of each for you personal situation.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom