• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    If you do not carry with a chambered round, then you may as well not carry. I would hazard to guess that most instances, when you need it, you need it ready to go. Not, "Hey Mister Bad-guy, give me 2 seconds to load my weapon so I can try to defend myself against your attack." 'Nuf said.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    A buddy once said a unloaded gun is nothing but an expensive bat. I was taught & teach my kids ALL GUNS ARE LOADED. If we have guest with kids my carry gun is always on me & the others are in the safe... no need to worry about snooping kids. I dont have guest over i dont know.

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    I think the biggest factor for me is the sound of chambering a round. Such a distinct sound. If a guy has a gun pointed at you you would be a fool to try to draw yours right then. Your only chance is when he is distracted or otherwise not looking directly at you. A surreptitious draw means you get to be the first guy putting shots on target. Chambering a round will immediately draw his attention right back to you and most likely his gun is pointed at you while your gun is still out of battery or just getting into it.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm trying very hard not to be, well...me.

This whole Israeli empty chamber bullshit is, well bullshit.

Dont finger phuck the trigger and learn to properly holster and dont buy shit equipment.....in other words personal responsibility.

Again unless you're carrying something not drop safe its only going to go off if the trigger is pulled.

Yes yes yes there are rare malfunctions but come on, I would bet you have a better chance to..... almost anything then actually witness such an incident.

You do what you think is best. You will atleast look cool like an Israeli commando or tommy lee jones as you present yourself as a welcome easy kill while you present and rack your weapon. Which in the moment of oh my god I just allowed my self to be killed you will probably half cycle or forget a safety or some shit. i.e. die with an impotent useless weapon. Or worse watch a loved one die cause you're a handwringing impotent useless phuck with an impotent useless weapon at the exact instance, the one second of your life you supposedly prepared for.

Complete fraking failure, and someone will die because of it.

Anyways that's why I would advise against an unloaded chamber or cylinder on a personal protection weapon.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I will enter the discussion with a little historical knowledge. Years ago I was physical security on a Navy base in the northeast. The department was half military and half DOD police officers. When I first got there we were carrying 1911’s with a magazine inserted but without a round in the chamber for “safety”. Our SOP was to rack the slide with the weak hand or “slingshot” as we were clearing the holster. Later we changed to the Berettas which were deemed “safer” and we carried with one in the chamber. The point of going through all that is, I have seen far more ND’s, AD’s, and dropped weapons while trying to rack a round quickly than I’ve ever seen from carrying with a chambered round.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    OP said this is not a discussion
    So why are people replying?

This thread should be OPs post and that's all.

Because in a nutshell, he's wrong. To say nothing implies agreement.

OP - It's up to YOU to carry the way you want. I WILL point out, however, that in REAL LIFE - and just last year - a legally-carrying gun owner was killed while trying to chamber a round in the gun that he carried w/o one chambered. In high-stress situations, your fine motor skills (that will allow you to quickly chamber a round) are the first thing to go. PLUS - and this is THE most important part - you become accustomed to the gun being "safe" - and one day, that empty chamber is NOT....and BANG.
    EVERY gun I own is loaded when I handle it - and when on my person, it damned well is. Now, if you go in one of my safes, you'll see some guns cocked and others not. The uncocked ones don't have a mag in them and are SUPPOSED to be unloaded - but are handled as if they are until I've double checked them. But about half of them ARE loaded - because I never know where I might be that I need one that's ready to go NOW.
    The danger of your mindset is twofold - #1, you think you'll have time to chamber. I'm here to tell you that there's every chance that you won't. #2, you think that your way is safer - and it absolutely is NOT.

That's not an argument, my friend - that's a statement of FACT.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I dont get where I said there is no way to manipulate a slide while one hand is incapacitated. I sure as hell think its harder and slower than one in the chamber and even more so if your in hand to hand combat at the time.

I can think of absolutely no reason to not have one in the chamber on a even remotely modern semi auto.

Do you think the chances of a holstered gun going off is greater than your chances in a fight with a one hand ?

Anything can happen anything will happen. Everything you do is a chance you way the risks and rewards to me there are no rewards to not having one in the chamber.

The dude asked for arguments and that was the first stuff that popped in my head. I did not really see the need to post a wall of Text on a pointless post by a new user.

He knew going in it was going to be a bloodbath and thats why he posted it the way he did.

I am in no way supportive of carrying on an empty chamber in most modern currently made firearms so please don't think my reply is supportive of it. I carry with a live round in the chamber on any of my carry guns.

What I am replying to is that you evidently seem to believe that a person who cannot use one hand, for whatever reason, cannot operate the slide on a semi-automatic pistol. Truth is there are one handed operation techniques for a handgun that include racking the slide. This is something that LE training almost always includes and that non-LEO pistol training should also cover but apparently does not in too many cases; although, I am sure the training is out there if you have the bucks to pay for an advanced class.

As for the idea that a firearm cannot fire unless the trigger is pulled, with all due respect - that is a dangerous idea to hold. Many firearms have inertia firing pins, some others may have faulty mechanisms, other poor design, they sometimes do not need the trigger to be pulled to fire them. Applying enough force by striking them in a certain manner, hitting them on a hard surface such as dropping them can sometimes make them fire. Granted, you probably cannot fire them reliably without squeezing the trigger but you most certainly can cause some shotguns, rifles, and handguns to fire without ever touching the trigger.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'm trying very hard not to be, well...me.

This whole Israeli empty chamber bullshit is, well bullshit.

Dont finger phuck the trigger and learn to properly holster and dont buy shit equipment.....in other words personal responsibility.

Again unless you're carrying something not drop safe its only going to go off if the trigger is pulled.

Yes yes yes there are rare malfunctions but come on, I would bet you have a better chance to..... almost anything then actually witness such an incident.

You do what you think is best. You will atleast look cool like an Israeli commando or tommy lee jones as you present yourself as a welcome easy kill while you present and rack your weapon. Which in the moment of oh my god I just allowed my self to be killed you will probably half cycle or forget a safety or some shit. i.e. die with an impotent useless weapon. Or worse watch a loved one die cause you're a handwringing impotent useless phuck with an impotent useless weapon at the exact instance, the one second of your life you supposedly prepared for.

Complete fraking failure, and someone will die because of it.

Anyways that's why I would advise against an unloaded chamber or cylinder on a personal protection weapon.

candcallen; All,

The reason that the Israelis ONCE UPON A TIME taught "empty chamber carry" was that in the DAWN of Israel there were some really poor quality handguns in their inventory & that were UNSAFE to carry with a loaded chamber.
    (In the late 1940s, Israel's government agencies bought "almost any firearm that would fire".)

Fwiw, before the 6-day War, Israel had gotten rid of the poor quality firearms, that had once been "issue".

Personally, my standard is that I want NO firearm of any sort (much less an EDC) that is potentially unsafe with a loaded chamber. = I was a "rookie" LEO at age 18 & still consider the Colt & S&W revolvers as the standard that all carry handguns should meet or exceed to carry/own.
    (My EDC is a 9x19mm, 16 round, Turkish-made ZIGANA K which IS just as safe to carry "hammer down on a loaded chamber" as my much loved , mid-1950s S&W Model 27 is.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

clawmarks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    He knew going in it was going to be a bloodbath and thats why he posted it the way he did.

I *genuinely* didn't, I know that some discussions over the internet can get frisky so I tried my best to engage in a respectful manner, i really don't understand why most of replies are so polarized.

Had I known, I wouldn't post in the first place. What's the point..?

Someone said before that most people think they're right and everyone else are wrong, I don't see it this way. Different people have different set of reasons, sharing knowledge and experience is a good way to grow, IMHO.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Yeah, sure.

I see you laughing your guts out because you knew this sort of manure stirring will always get gun folks riled up while you sit back and tell your gf or wife - "See, I toad ya this is what would happen, yee-haw, look at the gun nuts go"!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I *genuinely* didn't, I know that some discussions over the internet can get frisky so I tried my best to engage in a respectful manner, i really don't understand why most of replies are so polarized.

Had I known, I wouldn't post in the first place. What's the point..?

Someone said before that most people think they're right and everyone else are wrong, I don't see it this way. Different people have different set of reasons, sharing knowledge and experience is a good way to grow, IMHO.

It's more like "Some folks shouldn't be allowed to breed." Dude, if you honestly think you're somehow safer carrying on an empty chamber, you should go back to the basics of gun safety.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom