• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    One thing that makes muggers, car jackers , armed robbers and rapist so successful is the element of surprise. Most likely, you will be under attack by the time you have a need or legal justification to even draw.
    When you need it, it will likely be at close range where the distance can be closed to face to face in less time than it takes to draw and chamber a round. The will be attacking before you even have it out let alone ready to use.
    The odds are, when you need it, you needed it 2 seconds ago. Not now. Not later.
    If you are worried about an accidental trigger pull, keep it in a holster that covers the trigger. Or a better firearm.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

clawmarks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    I am shocked by the fact some people are so mad at me for asking for their opinions that they literally lost their ability to read

clawmarks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    One thing that makes muggers, car jackers , armed robbers and rapist so successful is the element of surprise. Most likely, you will be under attack by the time you have a need or legal justification to even draw.
    When you need it, it will likely be at close range where the distance can be closed to face to face in less time than it takes to draw and chamber a round. The will be attacking before you even have it out let alone ready to use.
    The odds are, when you need it, you needed it 2 seconds ago. Not now. Not later.
    If you are worried about an accidental trigger pull, keep it in a holster that covers the trigger. Or a better firearm.

Good points, thanks.

To be clear - I'm more concerned of the probability of someone getting access to my loaded gun, somehow (e.g. a mistake on my behalf).
    So what I'm trying to "compute" is the probability of me making a mistake vs. me not handling a situation well due to unloaded gun.

I think you (and a couple of others that chose to reply seriously) make a strong argument, and I do consider changing my process for some scenarios. With that said, for me, a loaded gun in the house is still too much risk, due to the present of children.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    We all think we’re special when we’re not.
    0106f734cedf4fc998d6e3c4ed2bec01.jpg

Attachments

• 0106f734cedf4fc998d6e3c4ed2bec01.jpg
      0106f734cedf4fc998d6e3c4ed2bec01.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 541

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I am shocked by the fact some people are so mad at me for asking for their opinions that they literally lost their ability to read
    First off, no one is mad at YOU. Thicken your skin or move on. Some people become blabbering idiots sometimes.

By some people I was mean all of us, and by sometimes I mean far too often.

Second you will find when someone thinks someone is wrong on the internet the world stops till they are corrected

And...

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Good points, thanks.

To be clear - I'm more concerned of the probability of someone getting access to my loaded gun, somehow (e.g. a mistake on my behalf).
    So what I'm trying to "compute" is the probability of me making a mistake vs. me not handling a situation well due to unloaded gun.

I think you (and a couple of others that chose to reply seriously) make a strong argument, and I do consider changing my process for some scenarios. With that said, for me, a loaded gun in the house is still too much risk, due to the present of children.
    You, like most of the Nanny public, get to much info from the news. Or people with an agenda.
    Go to the CDC website and look up "cause of death". For all age groups, especially kids, a gun in the house is one of the least dangerous things.
    Stairs, bath tubs, swimming pools all have a higher percentage of deaths than guns. So does choking on your food. So does stabbed by a family member.
    For kids, play equipment, choking including food or toys, bicycles, pools and stairs all kill more kids than guns in the home. So does being beaten to death by a family member IIRC.
    If a kid is old enough to reach where you keep it, they are old enough to learn to leave it alone. Just like knives, tools and stoves. If you have friends that stupid, don't invite them over or don't let them in if they call uninvited.

It is really very simple. You can not protect stupid from itself. Stupid, careless people can and do hurt themselves with other than guns all the time. They call it an accident. It isn't it is just being stupid. So teach the stupid.
    Keep It Simple Stupid. Quit over thinking something simple.
    If it isn't ready to shoot when you need it, it is worthless. You lose. Period.
    Your choice. Your responsibility.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I keep two loaded guns in the house. There are no children here so there is no issue in that respect. One is a .45ACP Colt Defender with a laser sight on the grip and the other is a S&W .357/38 Model 640 that only a double action trigger, no exposed hammer, probably 6 or 8 lb. pull. It's almost impossible to accidentally pull the long heavy trigger. All I need to do with the little 1911 is push the safety off. With the S&W, just pull straight through the trigger. "Virtually" accident free as far as an unwanted discharge. I don't think I can get much better for having a safe handgun fully loaded

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    "...........So what I'm trying to "compute" is the probability of me making a mistake vs. me not handling a situation well due to unloaded gun."

I don't think you can find any accurate information on the probabilities you're looking for. I personally would not depend on probabilities in these cases anyway. The criminals don't think in probabilities. I believe that is why the majority of the folks on this forum carry loaded ready to shoot if necessary.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Good points, thanks.

I’ve been carrying in my house and around all of my kids their entire lives. What is your concern here?

Do you just leave it lying around all the time or something? I don’t see the additional risk you are worried about.

I actually fail to see any upside to carrying on an empty chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

clawmarks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    I never leave it lying around in the house, it's always in the safe.
    My concern is a human error on my part, that may result with damage. The probability is super low, but so is the probability of the other scenario, so it's all about personal risk management.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    My concern is a human error on my part, that may result with damage. The probability is super low, but so is the probability of the other scenario, so it's all about personal risk management.
    I'm kind of slow so would you expand on the highlighted section of your post, please. Maybe a few examples, etc. Thanks.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You remind me of somebody....I just can't place who it is.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    You'll excuse me for not reading any of the posts here. I'm tired and have a margarita on board.

Watch enough videos on Active Self Protection on YouTube of victims failing to deploy a gun in self defense due to a empty chamber and see what you think.

My question is why would you carry with an empty chamber?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Another question please: What do you do for self and family protection while you and family are at home? Do you have to go to the safe to get your gun if you hear someone breaking in?

Last edited:

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    @clawmarks, I do not know the age of your children, but start telling them "NO" early on. As a child, guns were never locked up in my parents home. They were kept loaded and ready for use. I was taught, to not touch them unless my dad was there with me. He demonstrated that guns, KILL, it was a very practical lesson. He let me start shooting a .22 semi-auto at 6 Yrs. old!! The first time I shot that rifle I put my hand in the wrong place and when the bolt cycled it burnt the shit outta my hand. Never again did I make that mistake again. When he was not around I was allowed to use his .22 caliber air rifle, killed many squirrels and rabbits for dinner. I graduated to a .22 revolver, became very capable with that little revolver. This was the start of my love for weapons. So teach them young, guns kill, and instill good habits and morals in your children.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom