• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Never been to a Rudy's (always too crowded when I drive by). A not too busy one got my interest the other day, a Rudy's across US281 from the San Antonio airport. Then I checked the recent reviews and decided against it.
    DK Firearms

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I have been here near Tyler for 5 years now and been meaning to go to Rudy's. I have tried most of the BBQ places in and around Tyler and have yet to find one that is consistent/good. Stanley's is overrated and most of the other places are hit and miss; my guess is that it is hard to keep good staff unless you are the owner/cook/manager yourself.

Some of the best BBQ I have had has been at Spring Creek, but I have also been served yesterday's meat there more than once. Smoke Monkey out in Flint had killer brisket and pulled pork, but the original pitmaster must have moved on because it is poor quality now.

I guess I will try out Rudy's since it seems to be getting a decent level of reviews here.
    I like their breakfast tacos too.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Killen's BBQ in the Woodlands has some of the best creamed corn I've ever had. Plus the rest of their stuff ain't bad either.
    Stopped by today and I'm eating their creamed corn as I type this. Yep, it's good.

Just an observation - The four-person family in front of me had soft drinks, a goodly number of sides, and an entire separate tray heaped with ribs. That's a big lunch for 4 people but it's not outrageous; they had two teenagers and the boy looked like he could put away the groceries. Dad was not a small guy, either. Still, I figure there's no way they'll finish all those ribs and they'll have to take some home.

Anyway, they get their food and take it away to the table. Dad's at the register, paying the bill. I could clearly hear the cashier.

"That'll be $179.84."

Maybe I'm just old and haven't kept up but it seems to me that $179.84 for a generously sized BBQ lunch for 4 is a bit on the high side.

Am I wrong?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Stopped by today and I'm eating their creamed corn as I type this. Yep, it's good.

Just an observation - The four-person family in front of me had soft drinks, a goodly number of sides, and an entire separate tray heaped with ribs. That's a big lunch for 4 people but it's not outrageous; they had two teenagers and the boy looked like he could put away the groceries. Dad was not a small guy, either. Still, I figure there's no way they'll finish all those ribs and they'll have to take some home.

Anyway, they get their food and take it away to the table. Dad's at the register, paying the bill. I could clearly hear the cashier.

"That'll be $179.84."

Maybe I'm just old and haven't kept up but it seems to me that $179.84 for a generously sized BBQ lunch for 4 is a bit on the high side.

Am I wrong?
    I have gone into a sushi bar for lunch with the wife and had a few beers each with sushi & spent close to that with tip and was close to that!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have gone into a sushi bar for lunch with the wife and had a few beers each with sushi & spent close to that with tip and was close to that!
    I expect proper sushi to be very expensive and I think it's worth the money. If I ever get a chance to pay the $300-$500 that a good 24-course sushi experience costs from one of the premiere sushi chefs in the world, I'll jump at it.

I just don't expect to pay $45 per person for a rib lunch.

But, like I said, maybe I'm out of touch.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I expect proper sushi to be very expensive and I think it's worth the money. If I ever get a chance to pay the $300-$500 that a good 24-course sushi experience costs from one of the premiere sushi chefs in the world, I'll jump at it.

How many $20.00 burgers can be found around town?

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

I may it out of Rudy's for under $20 with dessert...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …"That'll be $179.84."

Am I wrong?
    You’re not wrong at $45/person all in. But others won’t bat an eye paying that.

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland

"That'll be $179.84."

Am I wrong?

Stanleys is where its at in Tyler.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands

"That'll be $179.84."

Am I wrong?
    Nah, you’re not wrong. I get that brisket and smoked chow in general is time consuming, but these folks are doing it on a production basis. 16.00/lb for brisket? Seriously? I mean, mine’s worth that and more…but Rudy’s. Come on. That’s cray cray. 1D968D01-A938-4C3A-A7C4-BA0A97EF1D83.jpeg 0A871531-BE68-488F-839B-1C69754695FC.jpeg

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I remember one year while I was at the ROT Rally in Austin, we took a ride out around the hill country, and on the way back to Austin, we stopped in New Braunfels for lunch at a BBQ place (the name is on the tip of my tongue, but I just can’t spit it out right now). Anyway there was 8 of us, and one of my buddies is a pretty big guy with a big appetite. After he ordered and got his lunch, he got to the register to pay, and it was $87! An older black guy was working the register and his eyes got real big, and he says to my friend, “Ooooooh boy, it must be your birthday!” Don’t know why, but that story always makes me laugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    I remember one year while I was at the ROT Rally in Austin, we took a ride out around the hill country, and on the way back to Austin, we stopped in New Braunfels for lunch at a BBQ place (the name is on the tip of my tongue, but I just can’t spit it out right now).

Cooper's?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Nah, you’re not wrong. I get that brisket and smoked chow in general is time consuming, but these folks are doing it on a production basis. 16.00/lb for brisket? Seriously? I mean, mine’s worth that and more…but Rudy’s. Come on. That’s cray cray. View attachment 269893 View attachment 269894

I understand where you're coming from, but eating out is about the experience and the convenience and that someone else is doing the cooking and cleaning.

Yes, many times once a person has mastered the skill of cooking a good brisket, it seems sort of counter-productive, or way too expensive to eat BBQ out. But typically when we smoke a brisket at home, we are doing one or two at a time, not the number of briskets and all the other meats a restaurant is smoking.

And there is the added factor of many people like to enjoy good BBQ when they are traveling out of town or visiting family. BBQ is a great meal to enjoy with a group of family or friends as well. Very informal and laid back for the most part compared to some other types of restaurants.

Top Bottom