Rudys BBQ?

SA_Steve

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oct 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas USA
Never been to a Rudy's (always too crowded when I drive by). A not too busy one got my interest the other day, a Rudy's across US281 from the San Antonio airport. Then I checked the recent reviews and decided against it.

cycleguy2300

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas
I have been here near Tyler for 5 years now and been meaning to go to Rudy's. I have tried most of the BBQ places in and around Tyler and have yet to find one that is consistent/good. Stanley's is overrated and most of the other places are hit and miss; my guess is that it is hard to keep good staff unless you are the owner/cook/manager yourself.

Some of the best BBQ I have had has been at Spring Creek, but I have also been served yesterday's meat there more than once. Smoke Monkey out in Flint had killer brisket and pulled pork, but the original pitmaster must have moved on because it is poor quality now.

I guess I will try out Rudy's since it seems to be getting a decent level of reviews here.
I like their breakfast tacos too.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Killen's BBQ in the Woodlands has some of the best creamed corn I've ever had. Plus the rest of their stuff ain't bad either.
Stopped by today and I'm eating their creamed corn as I type this. Yep, it's good.

Just an observation - The four-person family in front of me had soft drinks, a goodly number of sides, and an entire separate tray heaped with ribs. That's a big lunch for 4 people but it's not outrageous; they had two teenagers and the boy looked like he could put away the groceries. Dad was not a small guy, either. Still, I figure there's no way they'll finish all those ribs and they'll have to take some home.

Anyway, they get their food and take it away to the table. Dad's at the register, paying the bill. I could clearly hear the cashier.

"That'll be $179.84."

Maybe I'm just old and haven't kept up but it seems to me that $179.84 for a generously sized BBQ lunch for 4 is a bit on the high side.

Am I wrong?

baboon

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Stopped by today and I'm eating their creamed corn as I type this. Yep, it's good.

Just an observation - The four-person family in front of me had soft drinks, a goodly number of sides, and an entire separate tray heaped with ribs. That's a big lunch for 4 people but it's not outrageous; they had two teenagers and the boy looked like he could put away the groceries. Dad was not a small guy, either. Still, I figure there's no way they'll finish all those ribs and they'll have to take some home.

Anyway, they get their food and take it away to the table. Dad's at the register, paying the bill. I could clearly hear the cashier.

"That'll be $179.84."

Maybe I'm just old and haven't kept up but it seems to me that $179.84 for a generously sized BBQ lunch for 4 is a bit on the high side.

Am I wrong?
I have gone into a sushi bar for lunch with the wife and had a few beers each with sushi & spent close to that with tip and was close to that!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
I have gone into a sushi bar for lunch with the wife and had a few beers each with sushi & spent close to that with tip and was close to that!
I expect proper sushi to be very expensive and I think it's worth the money. If I ever get a chance to pay the $300-$500 that a good 24-course sushi experience costs from one of the premiere sushi chefs in the world, I'll jump at it.

I just don't expect to pay $45 per person for a rib lunch.

But, like I said, maybe I'm out of touch.

baboon

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I expect proper sushi to be very expensive and I think it's worth the money. If I ever get a chance to pay the $300-$500 that a good 24-course sushi experience costs from one of the premiere sushi chefs in the world, I'll jump at it.

How many $20.00 burgers can be found around town?

cycleguy2300

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas

I may it out of Rudy's for under $20 with dessert...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
…"That'll be $179.84."

Am I wrong?
You’re not wrong at $45/person all in. But others won’t bat an eye paying that.

Products discussed on TGT

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Forum statistics