Ruger 10/22 takedown.

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by cb51, Nov 3, 2017.

1. cb51

cb51 Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Thinking of buying a smaller rifle for the granddaughter, and the Ruger 10/22 is being very seriously considered. I'm actually thinking of the takedown model as it can be cleaned from the beech end easier and has a smaller appearance for transport. Easier for a 9 year old to handle.

Has there been any accuracy issues with it, or reliability issues?

2. Davetex

Davetex TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 27, 2010
    Pflugerville
    No, not at all. Probably one of the best choices you could make.

3. Dred

Dred Active Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I'm going to tell my story. It is absolutely true, but I think my 10/22 Takedown was very much an exception.

Back when they got released with the blue stock in the orange bag as an Olympic model ... I snatched one up 'cause I thought it was cool. Mine would not group to save my life. I tried with 1. factory irons, 2. Williams Fire Peep and 3. Glass. I had a friend buy a regular black plastic stock takedown when they came available. It shot circles around mine.

I unloaded mine and I've never looked back. I now have Marlins and I couldn't be happier. When I delivered a pair of BX25s and a handful of 10 rounders to a friend, it was 'cause I was certain I wouldn't be needing them. I was more annoyed than relieved by the depth of the Ruger 10/22 aftermarket. The challenge of saving a poor shooter left me with the opinion that anybody can build an accurate 10/22 if they send enough money to Kidd, Volquartsen or Tactical Solutions to replace the Ruger crap with decent parts. The $150 Marlin 795 will out shoot the 10/22 out of the box.

Yes, the 10/22 aftermarket has the Marlin aftermarket beat hands down. The 10/22 has more ultimate potential but the potential is 'spensive.

4. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Another one to consider for a reliable and accurate semi auto .22 is the S&W M&P 15-22. A lot of AR parts will work on it also like stocks and triggers. Also it is very light weight for younger shooters.

rman likes this.
  5. Kar98

Kar98 Well-Known

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    The take down model is as accurate as the other 10/22s. The barrel/receiver connection is as solid as it gets. It also stays sighted in after break down an reassembly.

I did install the BX trigger, just because. The original trigger group wasn't horrible, but the BX one seems crisper and it is a lot lighter.

My wife likes her take down very much.

6. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    I have two 10/22's. One std, one takedown with a Mist-22 barrel. Each one I spent about an hour polishing the bolt and cleaning up the hammer and sear, and they're both outstanding. My 8yo daughter loved shooting my takedown at the last family reunion event, said it was her favorite of the day.

7. cb51

cb51 Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Do they come rough that the bolt and stuff needs polishing? And what did you use for the polishing?

8. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    Operationally? No. It will function perfectly as it comes. If you spend some time polishing everything feels better though - the bolt slides more smoothly and freely, and you can dramatically improve the trigger pull and feel as well. Be careful and certain of your work with the hammer and sear though, you can pretty quickly make the gun unsafe if you do it wrong.

9. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I'm a big Marlin fan too, when it comes to .22LR rifles; however, I picked up one of the Ruger 10/22 takedown rifles and I couldn't be more satisfied with it. I'll probably wind up with a Charger takedown too.

I've not experienced any accuracy issues from the takedown rifle.

10. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

I love my little 10/22 takedown in the solid plastic case.

Never shot that particular one with a high magnification optic as it's purpose is to be quick, convenient and handy.

A couple other plain-jane factory thin 10-22 barrels I've shot with good optics for serious accuracy did 1/2 to 3/4" at 50 yards once I found their favorite ammo.

Mine all seem to like the Gemtech orange box sub-sonic stuff.

There are several readily available 22lr's that'll serve admirably.

I'm a traditionalist in one regard giving you an unsolicited bias. I'd get a bolt gun to train a 9 y/o then move "up" in complexity and sophistication to a semi-auto.
    My Ruger 77/22 with CCI 710 "quiet" ammo has introduced several novices, young and old, to our sport.

10/22s are a bit of a pain to fully strip.
    That can be a positive, as it provides an opportunity to teach a 9 y/o about proper tool usage and internal firearm design and mechanics.

HKS

Davetex likes this.