• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Ive had so much fun with my fvsr I wanted to build a dedicated quiet killer rig for shooting the 60gr aguila super sniper subsonics. This will require a 9 twist barrel instead of the usual 16 twist which is hard to come by these days it seems. Ive got a few emails out to various companies trying to procure one with a threaded muzzle for my silencerco sparrow. While the FVSR is fun, its really hard to shoot it quick and the stock on it is terrible, the only real option for it is a manners stock which is $500 and I just cant see putting a $500 stock on a $250 gun Ive decided to leave it how it is. Plus with the lever action should I need to take additional shots quick I believe it will be much quicker than working the bolt all while not having the action noise of a 10/22. The 60gr aguilas hit very hard and should do well for shooting varmints and hogs out from under my feeder. I will be sending the trigger off to a guy on rimfirecentral as there aren't any kits for this action. I thought it would be the same as a 10/22 trigger wise but it is totally different so the kidd drop in kit will not work like I had hoped. They guy on RFC is cheaper than the kidd kit anyway and Im not going to be doing benchrest shooting with it so it ought to be good. I also plan a kidd picatinny rail with a Mueller APV
    Mueller APV 4.5-14×40AO (Black) - Mueller Optics
    Its not a super high end scope by any means but everyone seems to like the glass quality, it has an AO and I think the extra power will really come in handy. Ive got a 2-7 on my fvsr which works fine for 50yd work but once stretched out to 100yds its a little lacking for shooting very precise.

When I picked it up from the FFL
    20140109_111539_zps99kpjncx.jpg

The real work is going to be getting it into a stock. Once again I thought I might get lucky and shoehorn it into a Hogue stock I had laying around but its going to require a lot of modification to get it in there.
    Differences in the stock inlet
    20140109_155843_zpszgl75tdu.jpg

20140109_155857_zpsio9i1hmh.jpg

The action
    20140109_155936_zpsn4hovths.jpg

Itll take me a little while as Ive got a bunch of other stuff going on but once I can confirm that I can get it into the stock then I will proceed with the rest. I don't want to destroy the factory stock to fit a bull barrel in it so getting a different stock on it is going to be the main project. With a stock pack I think cheek weld will be fine but we will see.
    Target Sports

rOmiLaYu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Just recently picked up a 96/22 and joined this forum specifically to sub to this thread. Looking forward to updates as this is something that I would very much like to do to my rig. Cheers.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I have an uber quiet 96/22.

I bought a second stock from Midway and routed it out to allow a 1 inch free float. I then cleaned up the stock - sanded it, clipped the BBL band and primed and painted it.

I second notched a 10/22 integral I had and installed that. It is nothing short of awesome.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Is the 96/22 basically just a 10/22 with a lever action? Are they hard to come by?
    Yep just a lever action 10/22 and theyre not super rare but you pay basically doublr what they sols for new unless you get lucky.
    I have an uber quiet 96/22.

I bought a second stock from Midway and routed it out to allow a 1 inch free float. I then cleaned up the stock - sanded it, clipped the BBL band and primed and painted it.

I second notched a 10/22 integral I had and installed that. It is nothing short of awesome.
    Any pics of your setup or words of wisdom? Sounds like youve done exactly what I want to do. Got hit with some unexpected doctor bills from my sons getting sick so play money is low for a while. Will give me plenty of tinker time though since I'm not buying any new toys. All I've got is a dremel to shape the stock, what stock did you go with.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Yep just a lever action 10/22 and theyre not super rare but you pay basically doublr what they sols for new unless you get lucky.

Any pics of your setup or words of wisdom? Sounds like youve done exactly what I want to do. Got hit with some unexpected doctor bills from my sons getting sick so play money is low for a while. Will give me plenty of tinker time though since I'm not buying any new toys. All I've got is a dremel to shape the stock, what stock did you go with.

I really wanted to modify the 10/22 Hogue but it was too much work and messy. Not only the receiver inlet, but the grip for the lever.

Stocks are cheap, mine was $69 at Midway.

The wood is soft and easy to mold. There is a good article on ARF or rimfire showing how to modify it to your needs.

10/22 BBLs need a notch for the lever and are good to go.

rimfirecentral is a good resource.

rOmiLaYu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    I really wanted to modify the 10/22 Hogue but it was too much work and messy. Not only the receiver inlet, but the grip for the lever.

Stocks are cheap, mine was $69 at Midway.

The wood is soft and easy to mold. There is a good article on ARF or rimfire showing how to modify it to your needs.

10/22 BBLs need a notch for the lever and are good to go.

rimfirecentral is a good resource.
    Problem is that the stocks are discontinued now at Midway :(

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Some pix.

First thing I did was sand the entire stock down to remove the finish. I used a B&D Mouse with 80 grit to do this. Note I also cut off the barrel band section.

DSC00480_zps7c28966a.gif

Next I routed out the BBL channel for a .920 BBL. I again used B&D Mouse with 80 grit to do this. This unit has a nice attachment for concave areas.

DSC00481_zpse1ac0378.gif

The finish on the TACSOL BBL shank makes the shank a bit to big. This is documented on the TACSOL web site. I used a dremel to remove the finish.

DSC00482_zpse869b41a.gif

The 96/22 BBL has two slots for extraction. The 10/22 only has one. I used a simple file to make the second.

DSC00483_zpsf2040bc8.gif

I then assembled and test fired.

DSC00486_zps5d9e8d5a.gif

I then re-sanded by hand with 150/220, added studs for sling and then painted it with Rustoleum Texture paint and it looks great.

DSC00488_zpsbccb9ed7.gif

rOmiLaYu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Well, I went ahead and took the plunge. Picked up a hogue 10/22 .22 magnum .920 bbl stock and took the dremel to it. After patiently chewing away plastic for three hours, I got it to fit....the hardest part was putting the channel in the pistol grip so the lever could actuate. Notice all the black debris on the bench.

IMG_20140318_192750574_zps3bjwgt53.jpg

Top Bottom