• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Does anyone here own a factory Ruger ac556? I might be in the market for one.. what I know so far:

They have a good warranty program and many parts from ruger.
    They can be like the mini and not be accurate
    They do not perform very well with a silencer
    3 round burst parts are not very strong and can go out...
    They don't function well without Factory Ruger Mags

So seems like the con's are stacking up here, but hey at least they are 1/2 - 1/3 the price of a m16

Jcm
    ARJ Defense ad

dane421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    DFW
    AC 556 is a good gun, I have shot one and enjoyed it (anything with a go fast switch is fun) at its current price, it is probably one of the best for the money.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    What is the going rate for a transferrable AC556 (assuming you can find one for sale)?

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Suppressed

I don't have any experience with the AC556 but have spent plenty fo time shooting my Mini14 with a suppressor after having the product catalog thrown at it by Accuracy Systems. I run a AAC Omni can on the rifle and have had zero issues.

I've often been tempted by the AC556 for the price myself.

chris

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the info... BTW awesome land rover I know doing this would remove the originality aspect of the thing.. but have you thought about doing a propane conversion system to run along side the diesel ?

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Rover

Never thought of changing it off straight diesel but the idea is interesting. Originality is not the reason for the truck but it fit my desires for what a truck should be. I wanted a diesel engine, four wheel drive, something I could fix with a hammer and crescent wrench, and the least amount of electronics possible.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    yeah i agree.. I picked up a Ford mutt M151 a1 .. Thing is crazy..

The owner didn't want to get it started, they thought it was just BROKE..

after fixing holes in the fuel lines, fixing shorts in the wiring, and a little carb. Manipulation via ether .. we got the thing running.. Ran alot of all new fluids through the thing and put some new gaskets on it. After that the thing is running great. Only problem is with bad temperature changes you have to play with the fuel adjustments. The body is in bad shape however the important parts, engine, fuel pump, alternator, starter, carberator, radiator, are all in awesome condition for being 50 years old .. All original wiring and most of the lights still work. My friend and I are going to sand blast it when we get the time. We will not do a full restore b/c there is just alot of rust/bondo on it already. However sand blasting, some re-welding and grinding and some fresh paint and tires will do wonders for this little guy.

Both axels have the PTO's too which is awesome..

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    Right now, on the NFA board of another forum, someone is selling two consecutive-serial numbered AC556's for $5500 each, and will separate them.

Top Bottom