• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I am looking to buy a modestly priced .22 bolt action rifle within the next couple of weeks and have narrowed it down to the Ruger American or the CZ455. I know nothing personally about either rifle, but the articles and reviews all seem to point to these two at around the $300 price mark. Before I pull the trigger (no pun intended) I wanted to ask a few questions of the forum:

1. Is the price difference of the CZ worth it in terms of quality, accuracy, etc.?

2. Will the magazines of both work well with .22 shorts when desired?

3. I noticed when I ran the Ruger models online that the Savage .22s showed up intermixed with Ruger and also showed them as being equipped with Ruger triggers. Does this mean Ruger is making these as well? If so, does the Savage deserve a second look from me or are the Ruger and CZ definitely a cut above Savage?

My criteria is simple:

1. $300 price range
    2. Shoot quarter size groups at 75 yds
    3. Be able to handle .22 shorts on occasion
    4. Not require any exotic scope mounts

Right now I am looking at around $270 for the Ruger and $340 for the CZ, so definitely not the top of either model line.
    Target Sports

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    my guess Ruger fans will say Ruger CZ fans will say CZ.

In my book if you are keeping it stock pick the CZ

If you want to mod it pick the Ruger.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Well, I'm a Ruger fan and have a Ruger American Rimfire and I like it, but I'd probably prefer the CZ. Either one is pretty easy to scope. I haven't run any shorts through it, but I've run a lot of Aguilla colibri's that are pretty short and they feed fine. Another advantage to the Ruger is that it takes any of the 10/22 mags so they are easily come buy and cheap.

I'd cruise over to rimfire central and look at some of the articles there - or wait until Allen comes across this thread.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I am looking to buy a modestly priced .22 bolt action rifle within the next couple of weeks and have narrowed it down to the Ruger American or the CZ455. I know nothing personally about either rifle, but the articles and reviews all seem to point to these two at around the $300 price mark. Before I pull the trigger (no pun intended) I wanted to ask a few questions of the forum:

1. Is the price difference of the CZ worth it in terms of quality, accuracy, etc.?

2. Will the magazines of both work well with .22 shorts when desired?

3. I noticed when I ran the Ruger models online that the Savage .22s showed up intermixed with Ruger and also showed them as being equipped with Ruger triggers. Does this mean Ruger is making these as well? If so, does the Savage deserve a second look from me or are the Ruger and CZ definitely a cut above Savage?

My criteria is simple:

1. $300 price range
    2. Shoot quarter size groups at 75 yds
    3. Be able to handle .22 shorts on occasion
    4. Not require any exotic scope mounts

Right now I am looking at around $270 for the Ruger and $340 for the CZ, so definitely not the top of either model line.

I can only speak about the CZ and Savage. I use to own both

1. The CZ's quality is very high and justified by the price difference. Extremely accurate with decent glass. The trigger is superb. I am running out of adjectives to describe it but I would buy it again any day of the week lol
    2. I never tried .22 shorts but I have heard from other people online that it feeds just fine from the mag
    3. I have owned a Savage Mk series before without the accu trigger. Very accurate out to 75-100 yards and it was dirt cheap. Not sure if it is a quarter size groups type gun out of the box. This is the basic bottom of the barrel Mk II G model so not sure on the bull barrel models or ones with the accu trigger but most people love them

I think the Ruger can take 10/22 mags so if you already have those, you may want to go that route if that is important to you. I have never shot a .22 short in my life so I can not attest to how they work in a 10/22 mag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Hands down the CZ. There's zero plastic on the rifle and they do an awesome job of picking stock wood. Some examples are highly figured. Others look more plain. Most of the time it's a gorgeous stock. Stripped down and linseed oil rubbed. It's an heirloom.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    well if you get the tacticool one it is a plastic stock on the cz along with a threaded barrel.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    ... or wait until Allen comes across this thread.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Good comments and advice so far. My two cents...

Ruger American is relatively new to the market, only a few years old, but Ruger is generally good about a decent value, just don't expect too much outside of what you're paying for.

Can't comment much about the Savage other than to say they are generally regarded as shooting better than their price range, perhaps at the expense of any nice bells and whistles.

CZ's are a good rifle with nice fit and finish, generally shoot well, although occasionally you get one that's either a bit lackluster or one that's absolutely exceptional. Finding the ammo it likes is key to getting the best out of it. Hard to go wrong with a CZ, very good value for your money.

I can't speak to the usage of 22 Shorts in any of those brands. I would guess they would work although accuracy may be all over the map.

Hope that helps.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The Ruger is a solid utilitarian rifle.
    Nothing bad about that.
    I like most all Ruger products quite a lot.
    I did shoot a buddy's Ruger American 22mag 4 weeks ago. Accuracy was .75 inches at 50 yards. Fine.
    The trigger feels like Ruger attorneys were consulted in it's too-heavy too-creepy inception.

That said, the CZ 455 is more "elegant" for what that is worth.
    Nice wood, nice trigger and generally great accuracy.

In the intangible, though palpable, pride-of-ownership measure I'm 80/20 favoring the CZ.

Cannot go wrong either way.

cwmoss

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    May 10, 2014
    Caldwell
    well if you get the tacticool one it is a plastic stock on the cz along with a threaded barrel.
    My Tacticool came with a Boyds wood stock in black, but I have had it a couple years.
    I have had one of the Ruger Americans, the Preditor, comes with a rail and threaded bbl., but I sold it to get the CZ455.

bluzman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    North Texas
    I own one of each - Ruger American Rimfire (.22 WMR) and a CZ455 Trainer (.22LR). The Ruger has a synthetic stock so I'm not worried about it getting bumped around in the truck. The CZ, OTOH, is wood and blued steel so I treated a bit more gently. At the end of the day, both are fine firearms.

Top Bottom