Target Sports

Ruger American Rimfire .17 HMR heads-up.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I bought a compact model today, $255 + tax.

When I got it home and put it in the cradle to add Weaver bases, I found a problem... Ruger has changed the receiver plug screws from a standard slotted screw to a Torx T6 screw. That's not a big deal as I have a good set of Torx bits.

Unfortunately, I could not get my T6 bit to bite in the front two screws... the bit recess in the screws appears to be really shallow. The rear screws were no problem.

Went back to the shop, but the other one they had was the same way...

I called Ruger and confirmed the screws are T6. I told the tech it looked like Ruger had installed the screws (and they were high), then polished the receiver with the screws in place and in the process polished off the top of the screws leaving the bit recess very shallow. The tech said that was quite possible... and issued a return for mine. They also asked for the shop's phone number so they could call and pick up theirs as well.

UPS should pick it up tomorrow... I'm sure Ruger will handle it, and I'll let y'all know how it turns out... if you're looking at one, check the plug screws closely.
    Military Camp

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Well, it seems somebody in Ruger's Service Dept. dropped the ball, as UPS did not pick up my rifle and still didn't have a pick-up request in their system as of Friday.

So... I decided to just handle the issue myself today.

After verifying the receiver top was planar, I drilled a 1/16" hole in both of the front plug screws, then wedged a T6 bit into the hole and extracted them.

Mounted my scope, now just waiting for the 1/2" of ice we got today to melt so I can sight it in... already ordered the long/high stock module from Ruger. :D

RugerAR17_zpsb6706f31.gif

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    That's pretty. What's the overall length? That's the gun that takes 10/22 mags when you buy it in the .22LR configuration, right? I sure want one of those.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    The compact is 35.8" out of the box, but I like the full size stock module and adding it makes the OAL 37".

These do use the 10/22 magazines.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I picked up some ammo locally and had the rifle out back this morning. It shoots better than the .22s, though that's not a big surprise as inherent accuracy is one of the reasons the HMR gained such popularity.

Then I got an email from Graf's this afternoon... they had Hornady ammo in stock and on sale, so I ordered a bit more to have a good supply on hand.

I'm really happy with all three rifles.

Top Bottom