• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I spoke with a customer rep on the phone, and they're forwarding the pictures to a gunsmith. It's highly likely they will ask for me to send it in for service. I asked if that was the case, if I could only send the BCG in, they said they must have the entire rifle for test firing purposes. I don't even have an unmarked box big enough to fit the gun's original box. However, Ruger sounds like they're willing to send me the box to pack everything up.
    Sounds like a real pain to me. I think I would be asking for compensation, gift certificate or something. This isn't an issue of faulty material, it should have never left there if there was any oversight at all. I would hope it is only a single incident.
    Military Camp

heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    If I didn't field strip, or had I been a complete noob and didn't know about gas key screw proper staking, I'd have shot the gun until the screws came loose. Which would be catastrophic and possibly ruin the BCG or gun itself, at that point it would cost Ruger a whole lot more to repair everything. I'm not really in a hurry, I'd rather they just do whatever they need to do to get this rifle in and properly stake the screws.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I spoke with a customer rep on the phone, and they're forwarding the pictures to a gunsmith. It's highly likely they will ask for me to send it in for service. I asked if that was the case, if I could only send the BCG in, they said they must have the entire rifle for test firing purposes. I don't even have an unmarked box big enough to fit the gun's original box. However, Ruger sounds like they're willing to send me the box to pack everything up.
    Mine is suppose to ship out tomorrow now. My FFL I'm using happens to be a gunsmith also, I'll check mine at his shop and maybe if it needs to be restaked he can help me out. I have owned a number of Rugers over the years. Currently a 10/22, 22/45 and SR1911, so far so good. Knock on wood.

heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    Mine is suppose to ship out tomorrow now. My FFL I'm using happens to be a gunsmith also, I'll check mine at his shop and maybe if it needs to be restaked he can help me out. I have owned a number of Rugers over the years. Currently a 10/22, 22/45 and SR1911, so far so good. Knock on wood.

Just don't pay to have it staked properly on your dime. It's a brand new gun, and you're entitled to a non defective rifle. Better to let Ruger fix their mistake for you. Just my 2cents.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Are you going to contact Ruger about this? Can you post a picture of your gas key screws? I want to see how bad yours is compared to mine.

I am going to call them to bitch them out but I am just going to stake it myself. I don't feel like dealing with the logistics of sending it out and then getting it back. But this is why I stopped buying anything Ruger. I have never had any issues with any brand new guns except for them. I don't know if its Bill Ruger getting back at me for hating him or if I have just been real lucky with every other brand. I still feel it is worth the amount of money I paid for it though. I will see how it does this weekend at the range

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    So I guess you could say there is a big QC problem at Ruger.
    Based off of this and my anecdotal eveidence of the prior three times I have had issues with brand new guns from them, I would say what heavy had stated earlier is true. The cost of assholes like us sending crap back to them is lower than them hiring a QC team. Either that or they hired some left over retards from Century Arms to QC

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    That's just crazy. How can they not stake the gas keys when they know how important it is for them to be staked. I planned to replace the bolt anyway with a PSA premium BCG that I have on hand. But, I'll be calling customer service anyway if the Ruger bolt isn't staked.

heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    I am going to call them to bitch them out but I am just going to stake it myself. I don't feel like dealing with the logistics of sending it out and then getting it back. But this is why I stopped buying anything Ruger. I have never had any issues with any brand new guns except for them. I don't know if its Bill Ruger getting back at me for hating him or if I have just been real lucky with every other brand. I still feel it is worth the amount of money I paid for it though. I will see how it does this weekend at the range

That looks exactly like mine. It almost seems like didn't bother staking the screws at all. Or whoever did that part of the job didn't give a crap about hammering in the metal.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    All anger about the gas key aside, how about that trigger? I am use to military M16/M4s and run of the mill mil spec triggers so I was really surprised at the one that came with. Real nice

heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    All anger about the gas key aside, how about that trigger? I am use to military M16/M4s and run of the mill mil spec triggers so I was really surprised at the one that came with. Real nice
    Yea the trigger is excellent. Probably not as nice as the 200$ geiselle triggers, but for the price it's a win.

heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    Okay, the Ruger guys just told me there is nothing wrong with it. That they did them with a pressing machine such that they won't unscrew themselves during normal operation, but if need be, can be unscrewed by their gunsmith. It's done by a different process, if you look at your staking very closely, you can see there is very small amount of metal on screw contact. I realize that doesn't sound very assuring, but they did mention they will send me another BCG and make sure to inspect the staking on this one before shipping it out to me since it's hard to tell from looking at the pictures I took whether the one I have is properly staked.

Say what you want about Ruger, but that is really good customer service.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Glad to hear they are taking care of it. An older guy I know swears by loc-tite and not staking the screws. I have heard others say the same. I had a DPMS when I first started into AR's. Shot thousands of rounds without issue. Someone more knowledgeable than me at the time pointed out that mine were not staked. No marks at all. Screws were tight and I'm sure wherever that rifle is today it is probably just fine. Me personally I'd prefer they just weld the dang thing on and be done with it.

Top Bottom