• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Okay, the Ruger guys just told me there is nothing wrong with it. That they did them with a pressing machine such that they won't unscrew themselves during normal operation, but if need be, can be unscrewed by their gunsmith. It's done by a different process, if you look at your staking very closely, you can see there is very small amount of metal on screw contact. I realize that doesn't sound very assuring, but they did mention they will send me another BCG and make sure to inspect the staking on this one before shipping it out to me since it's hard to tell from looking at the pictures I took whether the one I have is properly staked.

Say what you want about Ruger, but that is really good customer service.

Upon inspection of my 16" AR556 the staking looked to be the same as you guys have been showing here. So I took that BCG to my gunsmith and both him and the other smith there said the same about the staking being done by a machine causing it to looked as it did. Upon further inspection I could indeed see that the staking was done and in fact is touching the bolts, albeit slightly less then what we generally accept as staked.
    I have only a few hundred thru this gun and the key is fine and shows no sign of being loose in anyway.
    I will keep an eye on both of course, but in light of your post and what I've come to see, I'm not going to worry all that much at this point. If further staking is what makes one feel better, I say have it done. I'll shoot them as is and monitor them along the way. If problems should arise I'm not worried about Ruger making it right.
    Military Camp

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Okay, the Ruger guys just told me there is nothing wrong with it. That they did them with a pressing machine such that they won't unscrew themselves during normal operation, but if need be, can be unscrewed by their gunsmith. It's done by a different process, if you look at your staking very closely, you can see there is very small amount of metal on screw contact. I realize that doesn't sound very assuring, but they did mention they will send me another BCG and make sure to inspect the staking on this one before shipping it out to me since it's hard to tell from looking at the pictures I took whether the one I have is properly staked.

Say what you want about Ruger, but that is really good customer service.
    Do you get to keep both of them? :D

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Yes, they're saying I don't need to send anything back. I offered to ship it back after they said they will send me a new carrier, but they declined.

I don't think a semi auto BCG is worth much anyways.

True, I couldn't see Ruger's cost for one being worth the hassle of getting it back only to trash it. But still a great way to treat a customer. Not bad to have a free spare.

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    True, I couldn't see Ruger's cost for one being worth the hassle of getting it back only to trash it. But still a great way to treat a customer. Not bad to have a free spare.

Yea it will still be a freebie to drop in on a beater build. Looks like I have a call to make lol

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I think you guys are over reacting to the staking. Even though it's not the standard staking, looking at your pictures it appears that metal has been pinched into the screws. It should be sufficient.

I think this rifle is still performing above it's price point, and you could always replace the BCG with a FA one without adding too much cost to the rifle.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I just did a little shopping for this rifle today. I won't be able to pick it up until next week since I'll be out of town until Tuesday. I am keeping the budget under $800 for this rifle for now total.

I picked up this scope today from the same dealer for $89.99.
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/124381

I also got a mount and bipod for another $60 off Amazon. Not top quality stuff, but from what I can tell will work for what I need it to do.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    And done... very happy with the end result. Now all I will need is to scope it.
    Not sure if you are looking into a prism scope, but I got a 3x Vortex Spitfire from opticsplanet for $244. Absolute steal for an awesome sight. Use code red30 if you are interested.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom