• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    While i consider Rugers AR's to be extremely substandard, by far the single worst component on them is their bolt carrier group.

I have seen so far 7 different Ruger AR's exhibit the same issue where a gas ring partially jumps the slot, and wedges the bolt partially out of battery over the past few years.

Fixing the problem involves pulling back the CH till the bolt locks about halfway back, separating the upper and lower until you can get a screw driver in the forward assist scallops, and driving it forward with a hammer till you can use the FA itself. Once it is in battery, you can fully remove the lower. Unlock the charging handle, have the upper in a vise (or have a buddy) hold it upside down, and stick a thick screwdriver against the back portion of the BCG, and hit it with a hammer. Hard.

With the carrier out, you should be able to remove the cotter pin and firing pin just fine. You will need to beat the bolt into its locked position by placing the BCG vertically and hitting it hard with a hammer. When that is done, you'll need to rotate the cam pin 90°. I've found a pair of needle nose pliers work the best. You'll then need to pull the cam pin out. Any slip joint pliers work well. You can then use a .30 caliber ram rod in the backside of the carrier to pop the bolt out. This beats up on ruger's cam pin pretty hard, and I would recommend replacing this part.

Typically it's only one of the 3 rings that has jumped, the other 2 are usually fine. Replacing all 3 rings will not solve the issue. Fortunately the AR really only needs one ring, so removing one of the rings will at least get you an extra mag or two of shooting if you really need it.

I believe 1 (or multiple) of 3 things are happening. Ruger's bolts are undersized, the carrier's bore is oversized, or the slot the rings sit in is too shallow.

The only real fix is to buy a higher quality BCG, Colt, BCM, DD, RRA, PSA, hell, even Anderson. These BCG's are also far easier to disassemble since the cut out for the cotter pin is properly shaped, unlike ruger who just cuts a flat spot.

You can always contact ruger for a new one, but it'll be a similar BCG to what you already have, from the same production line, with the same (at best) batch QC checks.

I'll see if I can add some pics later, but damn ruger. It's an AR BCG. The only thing that's easier to make is an A2 pistol grip.
    Lynx Defense

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I have a LWRC DI. Nicest AR I have owned. Of course I haven't had several of the other upper tier rifles, so not much to compare to a PSA or Aero or Colt that I have had.
    Their DI stuff is good. Flirted with getting one but never pulled the trigger
    For me it is as base as aesthetics. The spiral fluting on the barrel looks awesome to me

Think I might get a colt ar15a4 before I do that though

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I’m at a point where I’m only gonna buy AR-15’s from two companies, Sons of Liberty Gun Works in San Antonio and Palmetto State Armory.

SOLGW will be all serious use guns and PSA are just good value that run very well.

I did buy a Ruger SFAR and am very happy with it. But I honestly don’t expect to put more than 4-5K rounds through it over the rest of my life, nor will it be a true HD rifle, so I’ll see how it holds up.

Others I already own include Daniel Defense and Bravo Company so the PSA’s are mainly for bringing folks out and shooting or training. And I shoot the PSA’s a LOT more than the others, so honestly impressed with them as no problems this far with the two I own. They hold up very well! I generally buy the specials so costs are very reasonable.

Just my opinion…worth what it cost ya.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I had a windham 20" but sold it regrettably. Lesson learned

20" and rifle buffer make for an extremely soft shooting ar. Its worth it imo. I looked at the premium psa rifle kit but I think I will just get the Colt instead
    I'm in the exact same boat. I've got a PSA stripped lower laying around that I need to do something with but acquiring the Colt A4 would hit a couple more birds with the same stone. Unfortunately, I get sidetracked by good deals and new shiny things easily.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I’m at a point where I’m only gonna buy AR-15’s from two companies, Sons of Liberty Gun Works in San Antonio and Palmetto State Armory.

SOLGW will be all serious use guns and PSA are just good value that run very well.

I did buy a Ruger SFAR and am very happy with it. But I honestly don’t expect to put more than 4-5K rounds through it over the rest of my life, nor will it be a true HD rifle, so I’ll see how it holds up.

Others I already own include Daniel Defense and Bravo Company so the PSA’s are mainly for bringing folks out and shooting or training. And I shoot the PSA’s a LOT more than the others, so honestly impressed with them as no problems this far with the two I own. They hold up very well! I generally buy the specials so costs are very reasonable.

Just my opinion…worth what it cost ya.

I have only seen a few SOLGW rifles, but they are very nice.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I recently looked at SOLGW. I got the impression they were assembling rifles vs creating their own. I know this is par for course with many AR brands but what are they doing besides putting together nice kits? Legitimately asking. I handled a few at The Range at Austin but ultimately decided to go for a BCM Recce instead.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I recently looked at SOLGW. I got the impression they were assembling rifles vs creating their own. I know this is par for course with many AR brands but what are they doing besides putting together nice kits? Legitimately asking. I handled a few at The Range at Austin but ultimately decided to go for a BCM Recce instead.

I'm not super familiar with them, so I don't know if they have some type of secret sauce that elevates them over others, but from what I've seen they have good attention to detail, good QC, and are very civilian friendly. IIRC if you use one of their rifles in self defense, and send them a police report, they'll replace it, or something to that effect.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    The guys who started SOLGW are serious shooters. Yes, they assemble and outsource manufacturing, but it’s their strict standards and tight QC on parts and assembled firearms that is different. Their BCG’s must meet their higher than mil spec standards. Same with barrels, and all other components that matter.

I’ve met and spoken with the guys who founded the company, Mike and Kyle. They are 100% focused on building duty ready firearms.

And their warranty and customer support is pretty excellent. To include, if you use their gun in a duty related shooting, they will replace it with a loaner while your rifle is locked away in the evidence room.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    This is a good video of what separates them. Mike can speak for a long time about components…here is him talking about the BCG:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

SOLGW does just assemble parts from elsewhere. Some of their parts are also built to their spec by third parties (handguards, barrels, etc). The value prop with SOLGW is they pay extreme attention to detail. They'll also go out of their way to fix any mistake. All of those little things actually matter for a hard use gun. Things like ensuring proper staking on gas key screws, barrel dimples for gas blocks + set screws with some type of threadlocker, etc.

I wouldn't think of them in the realm of a high-end company like KAC. Some of their components (barrels, for example) are actually pretty basic and inexpensive. They're just good enough for the job and, more importantly, consistent in spec and QC. They do also have a few higher-end components that are quite nice, like their M76 and M89 handguards, which are produced for them by Zev (to their custom specs).

As a result of all this as well as their excellent guarantees, some people kind of obsess over them a bit much. That's created sort of a mythical or over-hyped impression of them that seems off-putting to some others. This is just customers fan-girling on social and being ridiculous. They build solid products, so I'd buy with confidence and wouldn't be concerned about whatever questionable vibe customers' social posts might give off.

They're about in the realm of Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, and FN. Although those companies may have certain parts which are a bit nicer in metallurgy (CHF barrels, certain Colt springs, etc), they're still decent.

Top Bottom