• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    SOLGW does just assemble parts from elsewhere. Some of their parts are also built to their spec by third parties (handguards, barrels, etc). The value prop with SOLGW is they pay extreme attention to detail. They'll also go out of their way to fix any mistake. All of those little things actually matter for a hard use gun. Things like ensuring proper staking on gas key screws, barrel dimples for gas blocks + set screws with some type of threadlocker, etc.

I wouldn't think of them in the realm of a high-end company like KAC. Some of their components (barrels, for example) are actually pretty basic and inexpensive. They're just good enough for the job and, more importantly, consistent in spec and QC. They do also have a few higher-end components that are quite nice, like their M76 and M89 handguards, which are produced for them by Zev (to their custom specs).

As a result of all this as well as their excellent guarantees, some people kind of obsess over them a bit much. That's created sort of a mythical or over-hyped impression of them that seems off-putting to some others. This is just customers fan-girling on social and being ridiculous. They build solid products, so I'd buy with confidence and wouldn't be concerned about whatever questionable vibe customers' social posts might give off.

They're about in the realm of Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, and FN. Although those companies may have certain parts which are a bit nicer in metallurgy (CHF barrels, certain Colt springs, etc), they're still decent.
    I would not put Colt in special company, personally. They have been running more on their reputation for some time.
    Gun Zone Deals

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Colt barrels are extremely accurate, and very well gassed.

The same has been said about me. Well, not so much the extremely accurate part.

That said, my first AR was a colt when I turned 18. Wish I had that one back. Couldn’t afford it now. Looking at doing a 308 build starting with an sol lower. Lgs speaks highly of their quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would not put Colt in special company, personally. They have been running more on their reputation for some time.
    Believe me, I get it. People get ridiculous about Colt too. That said, there's been a lot of hand wringing about them I'd say isn't quite justified. Yes, they don't produce as many parts in house as they used to. That's true of most manufacturers. That said, they tend to be pretty consistent in quality (at least with their rifles). Not God's gift to rifles by any means but, I don't recall ever having a single issue with one. I think I have 6 or 7 right now, all 6920's and a 6933 upper.

As a company, the leadership (or lack thereof) and lack of innovation on the commercial market certainly doesn't win them any favors. That plus some of the past actions bending to politics of the time and throwing the civilian market under the bus.

Last edited:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Believe me, I get it. People get ridiculous about Colt to. That said, there's been a lot of hand wringing about them I'd say isn't quite justified. Yes, they don't produce as many parts in house as they used to. That's true of most manufacturers. That said, they tend to be pretty consistent in quality (at least with their rifles). Not God's gift to rifles by any means but, I don't recall ever having a single issue with one. I think I have 6 or 7 right now, all 6920's and a 6933 upper.

As a company, the leadership (or lack thereof) and lack of innovation on the commercial market certainly doesn't win them any favors. That plus some of the past actions bending to politics of the time and throwing the civilian market under the bus.
    imo the 6920 is the quintessential basic ar15. Ive never had one that did anything other than always work

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Yea Ill go with the Colt
    Trying to justify. I've been told/reading Colt is trying to skimp by putting in parts from their Expanse line. I'd like the roll mark but not sure if it's worth it with everything else in the market. I'm not a AR minutia guy so any opinions either way are appreciated.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Trying to justify. I've been told/reading Colt is trying to skimp by putting in parts from their Expanse line. I'd like the roll mark but not sure if it's worth it with everything else in the market. I'm not a AR minutia guy so any opinions either way are appreciated.
    I don't think the expanse line is even around anymore. But colt has used sub contractors forever

I have a 6920, 6920 SOCOM, and an RO901 upper. The barrels on the 6920 and RO901 were made by Roscoe, I don't remember if they made my SOCOM barrel too. Only other non colt made parts i can identify are the buttstocks which are P&S, iron sights (magpul and matech), and the KAC handguard on the SOCOM.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There are multiple affordable options to get into a Colt for under $1k, or a frankenstein Colt. If you look around, you can find 6920 uppers in a variety of configurations as cheap as $450-500. On Gunbroker, I've seen them new as cheap as $400 new but, most are more like $500-600. That's not bad considering, at those prices, they should be coming with a BCG and charging handle (always confirm to be sure). So at least you'd know some of the most critical components are good to go (barrel, BCG).

As far as current configurations, there's the standard CR6920 upper that comes with M4 handguards and a Magpul MBUS rear sight. This is the easy option if you want to just build your own lower and slap the two halves together. Building lowers is much easier if you've never done a full build before.

If you're wanting something that can easily have a free float handguard added, there's the LE6920CK-NHG model. These have no handguard, a GI barrel nut, a low profile gas block (basically a cut down FSB), and come with a BCG and charging handle. I've seen a few odd Gunbroker listings as cheap as $400, though most are more like $500-600. These are an awesome buy since you have better handguard options such as Centurion, Samson, Fortis, Midwest, Troy, and maybe one or two others that will mount to the GI barrel nut.

If you want a complete gun, there's the CR6920 OEM-1 (FSB) and OEM-2 (low profile gas block) models. These don't have a stock, trigger guard, or handguard. You can find either of these as cheap as ~$750, including on Gunbroker, though most are more like $800.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    There are multiple affordable options to get into a Colt for under $1k, or a frankenstein Colt. If you look around, you can find 6920 uppers in a variety of configurations as cheap as $450-500. On Gunbroker, I've seen them new as cheap as $400 new but, most are more like $500-600. That's not bad considering, at those prices, they should be coming with a BCG and charging handle (always confirm to be sure). So at least you'd know some of the most critical components are good to go (barrel, BCG).

As far as current configurations, there's the standard CR6920 upper that comes with M4 handguards and a Magpul MBUS rear sight. This is the easy option if you want to just build your own lower and slap the two halves together. Building lowers is much easier if you've never done a full build before.

If you're wanting something that can easily have a free float handguard added, there's the LE6920CK-NHG model. These have no handguard, a GI barrel nut, a low profile gas block (basically a cut down FSB), and come with a BCG and charging handle. I've seen a few odd Gunbroker listings as cheap as $400, though most are more like $500-600. These are an awesome buy since you have better handguard options such as Centurion, Samson, Fortis, Midwest, Troy, and maybe one or two others that will mount to the GI barrel nut.

If you want a complete gun, there's the CR6920 OEM-1 (FSB) and OEM-2 (low profile gas block) models. These don't have a stock, trigger guard, or handguard. You can find either of these as cheap as ~$750, including on Gunbroker, though most are more like $800.
    I appreciate the info. I've done a few modern builds but I'm now looking into more "retro" options, mainly a 20 inch A2-A4. Colt's AR reputation has been taking some hits so I wanted to see what the AR aficionados amongst us had to say.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I appreciate the info. I've done a few modern builds but I'm now looking into more "retro" options, mainly a 20 inch A2-A4. Colt's AR reputation has been taking some hits so I wanted to see what the AR aficionados amongst us had to say.
    Ah, gotcha. Well these guys (TNTE Sales) seem to be out of stock of a lot, and some of what's left at the moment is kind of pricey. That said, they have a ton of cool retro style uppers as well. They tend to use good components from reputable companies like FN, Ballistic Advantage, Faxon, Spikes, etc.

King76

Hmmm, I wonder…sometimes wander…
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2021
    Brenham
    Picked up a Ruger AR15 the other day….cheap. Only thing Ruger left on it was the lower receiver….lol. Barrel, bcg, trigger, buffer, etc were all replaced. Hope the lower receiver holds up! I usually strap it to my tractor when I am out shredding the back 40 so it gets banged around a lot..

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Picked up a Ruger AR15 the other day….cheap. Only thing Ruger left on it was the lower receiver….lol. Barrel, bcg, trigger, buffer, etc were all replaced. Hope the lower receiver holds up! I usually strap it to my tractor when I am out shredding the back 40 so it gets banged around a lot..
    I had a ruger stripped lower, it worked ok, but it had really gnarly flashing on the right side on the safety hole, and the hammer/trigger pin holes.

I think the hammer and trigger pin holes might have also been slightly off axis, but that's about it

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I had to win an auction on gun broker to get s true a2 upper and not some bolt on picatinny handle. Midway and Brownells had all the other roll pins and small parts. They also have 20 inch FN chrome lined barrels.

Top Bottom