• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’m not wrapped around the axle about every feature having to line up perfectly with the Cooper definition. I see it as a controlled feed bolt action .30 caliber rifle with a 5-10 round detachable magazine, iron sights and an optic option that allows relatively accurate both eyes open shooting with the expectation of hitting a man size target out to 400 yards. Around 7 lbs. with a decent sling. Hunting, self-defense, survival tool. I can’t see what other boxes could be checked.
    I keep holding off on a scout rifle because I’m not sold on the idea when other set ups can be more useful.

I shoot with both eyes open on everything. Nothing really relevant in saying that just saying I do.

Cooper thought 30 cal was king. I don’t share that view. I do think for hunting a 30 cal is better but for a scout rifle it’s not just about weight of the gun it’s about recoil. I think a light recoil is desirable. I could dare say the perfect scout round is 7mm-08. It has better wind drift for some reason than a 6.5 cm or Grendel and obviously recoils less than a 308 or definitely a 30-06.

Lvpo scopes pretty much make a scout scope irrelevant though. If I’m not obsessed with grouping out of a warm or hot barrel and combat accuracy is ok, I could take my arsenal sam7sf or better yet my cmmg mutant with a red dot that will hit a torso at 425 yards pretty fast. The cmmg with a can is long but it’s light.

A scout rifle seems to hold no value over guns I own. My 78 remington sportsman in 30-06 with a 9 power scope is more than acceptable also.
    Military Camp

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I’m torn. I like the look and concept of a scout rifle but keep coming back to your conclusion.
    I dont like the balance, a 7ish lbs .308 typically has nice balance, and a scope forward of the receiver just kills it for me

Ive also never had trouble with any optics or sights shooting both eyes open, in fact any time i try to shoot with one eye closed, i shoot far, far worse.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I dont like the balance, a 7ish lbs .308 typically has nice balance, and a scope forward of the receiver just kills it for me

Ive also never had trouble with any optics or sights shooting both eyes open, in fact any time i try to shoot with one eye closed, i shoot far, far worse.
    Both eyes open is how I learned to shoot.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I keep holding off on a scout rifle because I’m not sold on the idea when other set ups can be more useful.

I shoot with both eyes open on everything. Nothing really relevant in saying that just saying I do.

Cooper thought 30 cal was king. I don’t share that view. I do think for hunting a 30 cal is better but for a scout rifle it’s not just about weight of the gun it’s about recoil. I think a light recoil is desirable. I could dare say the perfect scout round is 7mm-08. It has better wind drift for some reason than a 6.5 cm or Grendel and obviously recoils less than a 308 or definitely a 30-06.

Lvpo scopes pretty much make a scout scope irrelevant though. If I’m not obsessed with grouping out of a warm or hot barrel and combat accuracy is ok, I could take my arsenal sam7sf or better yet my cmmg mutant with a red dot that will hit a torso at 425 yards pretty fast. The cmmg with a can is long but it’s light.

A scout rifle seems to hold no value over guns I own. My 78 remington sportsman in 30-06 with a 9 power scope is more than acceptable also.

I don't buy in to the idea that scout rifles were really useful, compared to other firearms. Really the only thing that separates the scout rifle from just being a generic bolt action carbine is the LER scope, and it's easily the worst part of the concept.

It did however, give Jeff Cooper something to constantly write about

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I'm not a hater since I've never tried one.
    I'm not a lover because I've never tried one.
    The only plus I see is the magazine if you Have a need for it. If I were in the market for a short handi rifle I'd get a Remington model 7 in 243 or 308 and use the reciever mounted scope that I am accustomed to already using. Just my thought and I'll admit it don't mean much. If you have a Scout just scope it and see if it fills the void.

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    Here’s an update. I mounted a rail and Vortex scope, went to the range, shot Winchester 150 sp to sight in and they grouped nicely at 50 yards, then started using a different brand 168 bthp, and was very impressed

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    Here is the setup

Attachments

• 0CBE0949-43B2-4F2A-8E1A-FA9C9CD03FFA.jpeg
      0CBE0949-43B2-4F2A-8E1A-FA9C9CD03FFA.jpeg
      179 KB · Views: 55

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands

I’ve never shot with both eyes open excepting the Scout. I learned early to shoot right handed as I’m strongly left eye dominant. I think I want to keep that left eye shut to stop from wanting to use it for the work at hand.
    As I understand it, the Scout platform was developed for survival purposes and bagging game. Pressed into service to shoot two legged animals when the need demands. The reliability of a bolt action controlled feed. Come on, guys. You know you want to get on board.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    As I understand it, the Scout platform was developed for survival purposes and bagging game. Pressed into service to shoot two legged animals when the need demands.
    As does any hunting rifle with a 3-9 power, a carbine with a lvpo or red dot.

I know myself. I just want a scout rifle because it’s something new but ultimately if I had to pick between a fancy scout rifle and my old 30-06, I’m picking the 06 because it will most likely out shoot a new scout gun and be no slower.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I’ve never shot with both eyes open excepting the Scout. I learned early to shoot right handed as I’m strongly left eye dominant. I think I want to keep that left eye shut to stop from wanting to use it for the work at hand.
    As I understand it, the Scout platform was developed for survival purposes and bagging game. Pressed into service to shoot two legged animals when the need demands. The reliability of a bolt action controlled feed. Come on, guys. You know you want to get on board.
    Yes, but the FOV, quality of glass, brightness and durability of a conventional optic cannot be beat. Its a massive trade off just to be able to use stripper clips, which are aweful and not worth handicapping your primary sight for.

And if two legged creatures are a factor, a bolt action carbine with a low magnification scope is horribly outclassed.

Top Bottom