• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I bought a Scout in 308 win. I have yet to do anything with, but now have time to play with a few safe queens.
    I would like to ask for those that have them, to provide any positive or negative feedback users may have on this gun.
    thanks
    ARJ Defense ad

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Scout rifles are not that great for actual use, and it doesn't help that no one can agree to what is or isn't a scout rifle

However the Ruger scout is a neat little rifle, just put a scope over the receiver, where it belongs

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I have a 2.75 Burris on mine as well. Keeps it on a pie plate @ 300 yards with both eyes open. I hit a piglet at 250 yards. It’s an awesome rifle. It’ll be sporting the next suppressor I buy.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I bought one several years ago. It was rough and gritty even after cleaning and oiling. I never fired it, finally traded it for something else, then got the real thing which I'll probably never fire either, but it's a beauty:

Mine is the Jeff Cooper edition, number 10 of 300.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I toiled over buying the Steyr. It just didn’t feel as robust as the laminate Ruger. I didn’t care for the sites either. Liked the bipod though. Danged handy. The action in my Ruger is smooth and meets my expectations. I have heard others say their Rugers weren’t consistently accurate. Mine is dead nuts and shoots as good as I can.

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I toiled over buying the Steyr. It just didn’t feel as robust as the laminate Ruger. I didn’t care for the sites either. Liked the bipod though. Danged handy. The action in my Ruger is smooth and meets my expectations. I have heard others say their Rugers weren’t consistently accurate. Mine is dead nuts and shoots as good as I can.
    what are you pushing through it?

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I have a feeder the pigs have taken possession of, they are there every morning and afternoon when it rings the dinner bell. I am going to set the ruger up as an under 50 yard hog gun, just need a decent optic or red dot. My eyes don’t do well with peep sights anymore, which is sad for all my lever guns.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Scout rifles are not that great for actual use, and it doesn't help that no one can agree to what is or isn't a scout rifle

However the Ruger scout is a neat little rifle, just put a scope over the receiver, where it belongs
    I’m torn. I like the look and concept of a scout rifle but keep coming back to your conclusion.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I’m torn. I like the look and concept of a scout rifle but keep coming back to your conclusion.
    I’m not wrapped around the axle about every feature having to line up perfectly with the Cooper definition. I see it as a controlled feed bolt action .30 caliber rifle with a 5-10 round detachable magazine, iron sights and an optic option that allows relatively accurate both eyes open shooting with the expectation of hitting a man size target out to 400 yards. Around 7 lbs. with a decent sling. Hunting, self-defense, survival tool. I can’t see what other boxes could be checked.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have the Ruger Scout with the laminate stock and like it a lot. I replaced the the rear sight with a long rail with integral rear peep aperture. I then over scoped it (as I always do anymore) with a 4-12X40mm in QD rings.

My original intent was to have this replace my old Remington 600 as my go to bolt gun when I needed to go out past my .30-30's effective range, with me driving, and be able to add a suppressor.

I almost had my 600 threaded until I learned that the collector market heated up for the Mokawks.

Top Bottom