Ruger LCP or the Bersa Thunder 380 CCP

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by 69rrvert, Oct 25, 2009.

1. 69rrvert

69rrvert New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Angleton, Texas
    Thinking about getting my wife a small conceal carry gun and trying to get her interested in shooting and getting her CHL. Right now, she has no interest in either. I don't think I am forcing her. I was able to get to go to the range a few months ago with a friend and I. He brought a Bersa 380 with him that she shot 7 rounds out of and actually did pretty good for the first time EVER shooting any kind of gun. She hit the target every time at 7 yards. Not the bulls eye but at least they were on the target or "center mass". I was thinking that if she had her own gun she would be more incline to going with me to the range. I have a Ruger P-89 and a Taurus PT-111 but I think the 9mm's are little more than she can handle right now. I'm leaning more towards the Ruger LCP (made in USA) but I like the safety features of Bersa Thunder 380 (SA/DA and 9 round capacity). I also read that the Bersa is more accurate because the nonremovable barrel. Thanks - 69rrve

2. robertba12

robertba12 New Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Montgomery
    I would not recommend either model in this case-keep it simple. If she is gun shy in the first place, pardon the pun, then I would suggest a smith .38 special (or the LCR)- no frills and nothing to chamber or remember other than pull the trigger. I am not a fan of the Bersa, and have owned an LCP (dumped it) it is rather harsh and has horrible accuracy, even at close range.

3. Wraith

Wraith Active Member

Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    While I haven't shot the LCP yet, I have owned the Bersa and it is a great gun and highly undervalued as a conceal carry/shooter. When shot back to back with my Kel Tec P11, the Bersa would group tighter everytime and would still do great at 25 yards while the P11's pattern opened up. I think the LCP would turn a first timer away from shooting as the recoil will be a bit more than a steel gun. My :2cents:

4. Jeff B

Jeff B Active Member

May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    Agreed with your statements about the Bersa.

My daughter has an LCP, which she will shoot about three mags through and then switch to my XD9. Primarily, because the LCP has a significant recoil, ie, is not pleasant to shoot, especially for a beginner.

THe revolver idea is pretty good as well.

Jeff B.

5. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I bought my wife the Bersa .380 as she liked it, also ordered the rubber grips and makes it even nicer to shoot. She loves her Bersa and have had zero issues with it

6. Seabear1500

Seabear1500 Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I have owned both. I still own the LCP but I messed up and sold the Bersa thinking I didn't need two .380s. My wife hates the LCP ("it's too loud") LOL that's another story. She told me she liked "that other gun she shot better" (meaning the Bersa) I didn't tell her I sold it. As an istructor I know the .38 revolver would be easiest to master, but she likes the look of SA pistols better. I joked about getting a pink revolver one day and she pointed at a pink gripped SA .380 she liked the looks of. I guess I will have to go that route for her if it will make her like it and shoot it more.

Back on topic....I never had a single problem with the Bersa, and anyone that says the LCP isn't accurate just hasn't learned to shoot it or can't due to the size. Mine is DEADLY accurate. The Bersa was as well. I know women that can shoot the LCP just fine, but they all prefer the mildness of the Bersa or something similar. For now I would say of the two choices you mentioned I would go with the Bersa.

7. 69rrvert

69rrvert New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Angleton, Texas
    Thanks for the information. I never really thought about the recoil of the smaller guns. Like I said, she has shot a Bersa 380 recently and had pretty good contol over it for a first time shooter. I am more of semi auto person but I may look at some of the smaller revolvers like the LCR or a S&W 38. Thanks - 69rrvert

8. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I own a kel tec 380, the cheaper, uglier cousin of the Ruger, LCP.

Don't get it. please. It is a great pocket gun for CC when a larger gun won't work. 380 auto is impossible to find and the gun is hard to shoot. It can be an accurate gun, but it is hard to shoot it, and it kicks more than your other 9mm's. I've heard about 80% good reviews about the bursa. Probably not a terrible gun. . . but I think there are just better options out there for that gun's size.

Has she actually shot your 9mm? I think you might find that it isn't nearly so bad. When it comes to recoil and ease of shooting, bigger is better. It is easier to shoot a bigger gun than a smaller one. (this assumes you can hold it properly.

I think you want to get her into shooting before you try to push her into getting a CHL. Just my opinion.

Heck, maybe a 22 pistol. Everyone one shot have one, especially with the price of ammo. It isn't going to be a denfensive weapon, but it will get her into shooting.

I think the best thing would be to take her to one of those gun safety classes that has several weapons and calibers to choose from. It is going to cost money, but it will be cheaper than buying a gun she never shoots, and she'll like what you get more.

Besides, I don't want to be the one teaching my wife to shoot, at least not right off.

I have somer personal opinions about double action revovlers, especially snubs. They are hard guns to shoot. The triggers are long and hard.

Hope you figure it out.

9. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I agree 22's are alot of fun and get people into shooting. .380 ammo is a PITA to find right now. I def think you should get her what she is comfortable, a class with options to try or a range where she can rent diff guns is a good place to start.

10. 45tex

45tex Well-Known

Feb 1, 2009
    None of the small frame .380's, 9mm, or even the .38's were ever intended to be "fun" to shoot. Especially the Polymer framed weapons. They were not intended to group in a league with, say anything with a 6" barrel. They are working tools. When the tools are needed I doubt your going to complain about the crappy trigger and the chest wide group. You will be thankful for your life and for ever miserable shot you endured at the range so your tool worked when you needed it. You must decide "to" carry and accept the responsibility before you whine about the recoil. Don't put the cart before the horse.