• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHBrooks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    I am new to TGT and first time handgun owner. I have a Ruger Mark III.
    Enjoy shooting the gun, but mags are a pain to load. Holding down the spring
    button is a pin in the thumb. Is there a simpler way to do this?

Did a Google search, but no luck. May not have been asking for the right thing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    I am new to TGT and first time handgun owner. I have a Ruger Mark III.
    Enjoy shooting the gun, but mags are a pain to load. Holding down the spring
    button is a pin in the thumb. Is there a simpler way to do this?

Did a Google search, but no luck. May not have been asking for the right thing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I used the HKS magazine loader, you can get them at BassPro, Academy and Amazon. I have 3 and the option to hold the spring down makes it a lot easier when I am loading multiple magazines. Also they are cheaper than the ebay ones.

HKS Magazine Speedloader | Bass Pro Shops

Amazon.com: HKS 22-B Caliber 22 Long Rifle Magazine Speedloader for Buck Mark, Challenger II, Colt, Ruger 2245, Mitchell Arms: Sports & Outdoors

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Another vote for the HKS tool... I have a pair of them and they are very good investments.

MR2Aaron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I used the HKS magazine loader, you can get them at BassPro, Academy and Amazon. I have 3 and the option to hold the spring down makes it a lot easier when I am loading multiple magazines. Also they are cheaper than the ebay ones.

HKS Magazine Speedloader | Bass Pro Shops

Amazon.com: HKS 22-B Caliber 22 Long Rifle Magazine Speedloader for Buck Mark, Challenger II, Colt, Ruger 2245, Mitchell Arms: Sports & Outdoors

It should be noted that the HKS tool is meant for the Standard and Mark II mags only. The Mark III's mags have a little tooth on the side for the mag release that causes the HKS tool to hang up on them.

You can modify the tool to fit over the tooth in a few minutes with a dremel, I'm told, although I've never attempted it myself, as I don't shoot my Mark III that much.

Codemonkey001

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Dallas
    I have the HKS and bought it for the same reason everyone else did, it's a pain, literally, to load those mags when they are new. But now I don't use it, either my thumbs are just used to it or the springs have gotten worked in, but they are easier to load over time.

CHBrooks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Ruger 10/22 Mag Loaders Summary

Guys: Thanks for all the suggestions. Great help.

As a service to the group, I did a little more research and summarized all the loading tools I've found below (along with some of my observations about each option):

I think I am going to get the one from Borel Sports. It folds flat to fit your pocket, is simple (no moving parts), and is inexpensive.

Happy shooting.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    How can it fold and have no moving parts? ;)

I have several of the Wilson loaders, and several of an even simpler design that is perfectly flat. Neither of these types latch on, but I find no use in needing it to latch....I like to depress as I load, so that the cartridges are less likely to land on end inside the mag.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    How can it fold and have no moving parts? ;)

It's two pieces of plastic held together by what looks like a length of string. Seems like it's the most impractical out of everything Brooks listed, given that the piece that latches onto the bottom of the mag is separate from the piece that holds down the follower.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    It's two pieces of plastic held together by what looks like a length of string.

Yes, so it has moving parts.

Seems like it's the most impractical out of everything Brooks listed, given that the piece that latches onto the bottom of the mag is separate from the piece that holds down the follower.

It's actually a pretty neat design, if you understand how it works. Guess your google-fu failed you this time.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Yes, so it has moving parts.

It's actually a pretty neat design, if you understand how it works. Guess your google-fu failed you this time.

To me, moving parts would imply a mechanical operation, i.e a hinge. I don't consider a piece of string holding two pieces together to be mechanical. But eh, semantics and hair-splitting.

And fwiw, I understand how it works. Just seems impractical to me (along with all the other ones that latch to the bottom of the mag), since the follower would be held so far down that there's a good chance of a round going in at a funny angle (and then getting jammed up) or landing on-end.

But hey, use whatever works best for ya.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ...but I find no use in needing it to latch....I like to depress as I load, so that the cartridges are less likely to land on end inside the mag.

Just seems impractical to me (along with all the other ones that latch to the bottom of the mag), since the follower would be held so far down that there's a good chance of a round going in at a funny angle (and then getting jammed up) or landing on-end.

Do you ever post any of your own firsthand knowledge, or merely regurgitate?

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Did you consider the possibility that I was agreeing with you because I've had similar experiences with the magazines for my M4-22? Jesus Christ, it's like you go out of the way to find something in my posts to get pissed at.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Did you consider the possibility that I was agreeing with you because I've had similar experiences with the magazines for my M4-22? Jesus Christ, it's like you go out of the way to find something in my posts to get pissed at.

If you think I'm pissed, you are sadly mistaken. It takes a lot more than you can even think of saying to piss me off. And trust me, nobody has to go out of their way to find things to criticize in your posts.

Top Bottom