Join TexasGunTalk

Ruger Mark IV Issues

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by SGW Gunsmith, Nov 2, 2017.

1. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith New Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Northwestern Wisconsin
    It's been a bit over a year since the Ruger Mark IV has hit the dealers shelves. I've had a few cross my bench before, and then after, the "so-called" recall. Some of the Mark IV's that I've seen wouldn't do what the recall was called out for.
    As I started getting more into the "innards" of the Ruger Mark IV, I found a very puzzling part change with everyone of the pistols I had disassembled. The safety detent plunger is black plastic. Since 1949, Ruger has been using a steel thumb button safety detent, now, they figure a plastic one is OK? Check out the flat nose on the black plastic detent. It's only been employed for a short period of time. Kinda wonder if maybe that part could be the "real" issue.

yTusRD9m.jpg

I do replace the plastic detents and recommend that to my customers, who all agree that they want a steel one instead.

TheDan likes this.
  2. topduarte

topduarte Active Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Wow. And how much do they save?
    Just like GM with the power window regulators. All parts are metal/steel except the plastic part that attaches to the wire and slide. That part breaks all the time and "spaghettis the wiring". Had to replace both of sons rear window regulators because of trying to save maybe a $1 for a steel part. Cheap bastards.

3. TAZ

TAZ Well-Known

Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Not sure I would dismiss it simply cause it was plastic, as engineered resins have come a long way since 1949. Question is: Is the chosen material appropriate for the application.

4. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

If its worn/eroded away its a junk part.
    Replace it as it will eventually fail.
    On the Safety selector this could be catastrophic.
    I'd do exactly what you're doing and replace the part asap.

Thanks for the heads up.

5. HHH

HHH Member

Apr 23, 2014
    look behind you
    I gave one the once over today , nice ,, why would they do this .. Greed

6. ml1209

ml1209 Active Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm sticking to my Mark IIs, Ruger can keep their Mark IIIs and after

7. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Thanks for the info on the Mark IV.

The nice thing about the IV is that if fixes the crazy way that the previous models had to come apart and go back together. I've had a Mark I for 40 years and cussed it every single time I cleaned it. I never had a II, but the III has some stupid "the-lawyers-told-us-to-add-this" crap that requires fooling with the magazine to get it apart. At least they got away from the 9-round magazine. (Why Bill Ruger thought an odd number was a good idea I'll never know.)

Very few companies build things as strong as Ruger, and even fewer have the reputation for fixing problems like Ruger. It seems strange that they would try to save 3 cents on a pistol with a cheap part, but I guess stranger design errors have happened.

8. robertc1024

robertc1024 Just the facts Ma'am. TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

9. azreb

azreb New Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Arizona mountains
    Newby here--I came here because I found this thread in a search. I installed a Volquartsen accurizing kit in my Ruger MKIV. Despite the warnings in the company's website and in a Youtube video, I managed to lose the safety detent and associated spring. The OP mentioned replacing the plastic part with a metal one. I gather the OP hasn't been heard from for months. Does anyone know of a source for that metal part? TIA.

After a bit more digging, I think I found the solution. It appears the MKI, I, and III parts will fit. I ordered the detent and spring and will know for sure in a few days.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  10. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

May 2, 2015
    That info is posted in the picture in the first post. SGW had some issues and was banned IIRC. There is a link to his web page at the bottom of his post if you need to contact him for info.