• ...and so much more!
  • acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston

To make it easy for folks...

"Ruger recently discovered that all Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ models) manufactured prior to June 1, 2017 have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time."

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Once again, I just have to say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The MKII was about as perfect as it gets with that platform.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    To make it easy for folks...

"Ruger recently discovered that all Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ models) manufactured prior to June 1, 2017 have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time."

What's easier than clicking the link and reading the entire recall complete with pictures, and initiating the recall right there?

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Ruger gets in a hurry to get something new and exciting out and then they have recalls...I buy only their old stuff and skip the kinks.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I think I'll skip the recall because they're gonna replace the safety and the sear and I'm not going to to lose $134.00 in Volquartsen aftermarket parts, i.e. I don't have the Ruger factory sear installed anyway.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    It shoots extremely accurate, and with the Volquartsen kit, the trigger pull is 4.4 lbs and no slack. It is finicky about ammunition. Doesn't seem to like Federal.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    It shoots extremely accurate, and with the Volquartsen kit, the trigger pull is 4.4 lbs and no slack. It is finicky about ammunition. Doesn't seem to like Federal.
    I have "Volquartsen'd " one of my MKIIs.

Absolutely love the trigger on it, and as a bonus, not picky about ammo at all.;)

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    IMG_2085.JPG
    One of these is over 30 years old and another has over 275,000 rounds through it.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I put an amazing amount of rounds through a Mark I and then gave it to my son who continues to enjoy it. It's one of the finest pistols ever made, BUT even after cleaning it hundreds of times, I totally dreaded putting it back together. The Mark IV fixed that problem, but now they found an issue with the safety. Ruger owned up to the problem and they've recalled the pistols for repair. Those who have been around long enough will remember that Ruger did a huge safety recall on their single action revolvers some years ago. (As a contrast, look how many decades it took Remington to own up to the problem with their 700 series rifles!) Ruger has also volunteered to give each person getting a pistol updated a free magazine. That's a fair deal from an honorable company.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I put an amazing amount of rounds through a Mark I and then gave it to my son who continues to enjoy it. It's one of the finest pistols ever made, BUT even after cleaning it hundreds of times, I totally dreaded putting it back together. The Mark IV fixed that problem, but now they found an issue with the safety. Ruger owned up to the problem and they've recalled the pistols for repair. Those who have been around long enough will remember that Ruger did a huge safety recall on their single action revolvers some years ago. (As a contrast, look how many decades it took Remington to own up to the problem with their 700 series rifles!) Ruger has also volunteered to give each person getting a pistol updated a free magazine. That's a fair deal from an honorable company.
    They are for sure owning the defect, but the mistake began with the MKIII, lol.

There are members here that have seen me disassemble and reassemble a MKII in under a minute.

It is not that hard.

heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    Yea, I ordered a Mark IV Hunter 2 days ago, dealer was about to ship it out when the recall email came in. Guess another 2 - 3 week wait :(

At least a free mag is thrown in for all of this though.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Thanks for posting, OP.

From Ruger:
    Thank you for signing your pistol up for the Mark IV™ recall. You have been added to the list to have your grip frame assembly retrofitted. We will be retrofitting grip frame assemblies on a first-come, first-served basis. Here is what you can expect.

1. When we are ready to retrofit your grip frame assembly, we will send you a box and prepaid shipping label. The package you receive will include detailed packaging and shipping instructions.
    2. When you receive your package, please only ship us the grip frame assembly. (Be sure to remove any aftermarket accessories.) Follow the instructions in your instruction manual to separate the barrel/receiver assembly from the grip frame.
    3. We will make every effort to return your grip frame assembly to you within one week of receiving it. When we return your grip frame assembly, we will include a free magazine ($29.95 value) as a "thank you" for your participation and cooperation. (Note that customers in states with magazine shipping restrictions will receive a ShopRuger gift certificate in lieu of a magazine).
    4. In the meantime, we strongly recommend that you do not use your Mark IV™ pistol until it has been retrofitted.
    While we sincerely regret the need to issue this recall, our motto is, and has been for many years, "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®." We are firmly committed to safety and appreciate your patience and cooperation.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Just entered mine into the recall. I'll wait my turn and I absolutely have no problem with what Ruger is doing. They're in front of this and I wish that more manufacturers would do the same when a problem becomes apparent. Kudos to Ruger.

Top Bottom