• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I went into the local shop today to see what was new in stock. While I was there, I thought I'd check to see if there were any Ruger 20 round mags in stock. They had 8 of them going for *gulp* $80 each!

I might as well just buy them direct from Ruger + shipping.

They just got a big shipment of Wolf .223 ammo, but hadn't unpacked it yet. These guys tend to overprice their stuff anyway so I'm sure somebody will pay a pretty penny for that ammo!

On another note, they had about 15 AR's in all varieties still in stock. Of course, they've increased the price too since I was in there a couple of weeks ago.
    Capitol Armory ad

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Even after the current sale from Ruger expires (innauguration day), they show them regular priced at $39.95 versus the $29.95 they are now. Of course the reason the shop can charge that much is because Ruger isn't currently accepting orders. Impatient people will pay a premium for something they can have in their hand now. I can't blame the shops too much (capitalism and all), I just won't give them my business.

ETA:

Just checked Ruger's website and this is what they have to say:

Ruger® Mini-14® Magazine 20-Shot
    Blued steel, 20-shot, .223 Rem. caliber magazine for Mini-14 rifles.

NOTE: This item may be temporarily out-of-stock due to high demand. However, we are accepting orders, which will be shipped on a first-come, first-served basis. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.
    Catalog No. 90010 - $29.95 each

So they are accepting orders just don't necessarily have the stock on hand to fill them immediately.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Yep, I have 6 on order with Ruger as we speak. I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, I have a few on order too. Been a while though, so if 2-3 weeks isn't just some randomly generated wait time I may have them in time for Christmas!

Merry Chrictmas to me, Merry Christmas to me.................

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Cheaper Than Dirt has steel 20 round Pro Mags for $17.97 so I picked up a couple. Academy has 30's for $19.99 so I'll probably grab a couple of those too.

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Other than 2 PMI 30rd mags I've never been able to find any aftermarket mags that'll work in my Mini. I got on Ruger's website to order a couple of 20 rounders but they weren't taking orders at the time so I said screw it and picked up two Ruger factory 20 rounders off of GunBroker for $40 each, I didn't mind paying that much extra to have them in a couple days....got them and they run great in the Mini.

blazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    San Antonio
    My dad gave me an "extended loan" of his Mini 14. I bought a 20 rd mag at a gun show. not sure what brand but not ruger. I tweaked it with some needlenose plyers and it's worked great since. I think my Mini 14 was made back in the 80's. It's alot of fun!

I shot alot of wolf ammo thru it. but now, I'm concerned about the steel casings. Will this wear out my rifle faster? I'm no gun smith, but I was thinking that the brass would be more healthy than the steel casings. Thoughts anyone?

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    My dad gave me an "extended loan" of his Mini 14. I bought a 20 rd mag at a gun show. not sure what brand but not ruger. I tweaked it with some needlenose plyers and it's worked great since. I think my Mini 14 was made back in the 80's. It's alot of fun!

I shot alot of wolf ammo thru it. but now, I'm concerned about the steel casings. Will this wear out my rifle faster? I'm no gun smith, but I was thinking that the brass would be more healthy than the steel casings. Thoughts anyone?

I've heard more concerns for the dirtiness of the wolf steel cased ammo wearing out the barrel than the steel cases having any effect themselves. I also have only heard/read conjecture as to the possibility of such, not any actual cases saying "it happened to me." I couldn't begin to tell you how many rounds of the steel cased wolf I've ran through my mini and have seen no adverse affects other than having to spend a little more time cleaning it than if I ran some brass through it, but at a 4-5 dollar difference per 20rds I don't mind as the cleaning relaxes me anyway.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    No I was not in the Gulf. I went through the recruitment process in high school but never signed on because my parents talked me out of it (I'm their only son). I just really liked the .gif and added it to my sigline so I could see it whenever I wanted without having to find it in my computer. I've been thinking of taking it off because it takes up so much space on the page but still keep it up for some reason.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I got a bunch of mags for my M1A1/M14 at cheaper than dirt for 11.97 ea.The 20 rd Parkerized ones and havn't had any problems with them.
    They also had some Parkerized 20 rd for the mini-14.

blazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    San Antonio
    Still Cool. I've never been in either. I learned to fly and flew commercially but in 92 when I got out of school, the military was cutting back and letting alot of pilots go. I was thinking about the AF reserves in 99 but I was too old. I have a liberal coworker who is always preaching about how we shouldn't be in Iraq. As if Sadaam Hussein wasn't an evil dude. He lived in Saudi, so he thinks he understands the hearts and minds of all middle easterners. I think I'll send the animation to him just to rile him up! Regards...

Top Bottom