• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    ah, the ruger mini-14, my first gun. I miss it a bit but the ARs I build are way better but someday I will own a Mini-14 with the foldy stock for those A-Team aesthetics.
    Hurley's Gold

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I bought a Mini-14 back in the 1980's. It's a wonderful rifle and would be a great rifle if Ruger had done a couple of small things differently. (Rate of twist, stable barrel, set up for optics or even better for rails, use AR mags, etc.) If I recall, there was a factory version that had a flash suppressor, but it was an odd model and wasn't carried long. Talon or some other distributor frequently added stuff like folding stocks and flash hiders. I added one that I bought at a gun show to mine. It's fairly simple to pin one on.

Now why did I add it? Believe it or not, there is an amazing amount of flash from the barrel if you shoot on a really cloudy day or in the evening. It's about the size of a basketball.

On the subject of magazines, resist the temptation to buy any mags that aren't Ruger. The rifle is very intolerant of cheaper mags.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Uh….of the Colt too…don’t be slackin’.

For some reason, don't have a pic of that one...how 'bout a pic of my '82 Chuck Ries Custom, instead?

RS.JPG

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    Back in the 80's/90's people used to cut and crown mini 14 barrels to improve accuracy. Makes me wonder if that's what you have.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I’ve never seen the inside of a prison, but virtually every documentary I’ve watched on the tube shows guards armed with Mini-14’s. Any idea why?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think they've used AR15s for some time now. At least the Texas Department of Corrections facilities do.
    Back in the late 1980's the Texas department of Corrections had Ruger Mini 14's, and IIRC they switched in the early 1990's to AR15's. My first ex-wife trained on the Mini 14, and years later when my second ex-wife went to work out there in the mid 1990's, she trained on the AR15.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Back in the late 1980's the Texas department of Corrections had Ruger Mini 14's, and IIRC they switched in the early 1990's to AR15's. My first ex-wife trained on the Mini 14, and years later when my second ex-wife went to work out there in the mid 1990's, she trained on the AR15.
    So.....
    You met all your wives in prison?

Top Bottom