• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • czechmate82

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I was wondering what everyone's opinions are regarding the Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle (the newer one that just came out in 2008) versus the Kel-tec SU-16CA. I will most likely be able to purchase one or the other in a few months, and would like to know which one would be better. I intend to use it for range work (max 200 yards) as well as a SHTF rifle. I already have an SKS and find its accuracy at 100 yards to be a bit lacking (to say it mildly). I will probably do some tactical modifications to the new rifle (synthetic pistol grip stock, at least). What does everyone think?
    Hurley's Gold

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    stay away from both.. but i would take the ruger over the keltec.. the SU16 is a nice rifle but it gets old pretty quick. feels cheap.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My suggestion would be to save for longer and buy something better, too be completely honest.

Both aren't the most accurate rifles out of the box, and you'd be better served with a multitude of other options.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Look at a Saiga in 223

Here's a 3rd choice. As the owner of a Mini 14 and a Saiga in 223 cal,buy a Saiga. I have always liked the Mini 14,and have shot thousands of rds out of mine over the years,it is also very accurate for a few shots-until the barrel heats up.
    I bought a Saiga a couple years ago and it will run circles around the Mini 14. It will shoot almost every type of factory ammo without complaining and is more accurate than the Mini 14 and cost 1/2 as much.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Althought not a great rifle IMO, the "C" model is nice because it folds and can be used in the folded position. IIRC it takes regular AR mags, so no double buys on mags. Easy to go mobile with. It does feel cheap to me, but the price is hard to beat. I have been considering one myself.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    My experiences with the mini-14 are horroble... to the tune that my SKS shot exceedingly better than the min. And I cant hit water from a boat with an SKS. As you can tell I am a little biased :)

The pros for the Kel-Tec are price, concealability/mobility, piston driven, takes AR mags. However, their track record for reliability and durability is still TBD though that leaves a lot of questions. It also has the pencil thin barrel, so I would exepect minute of milk jug to be the norm.

With that, why not save for a few more months and pick up an AR, or build/assemble one form parts as the budget allows. You could even got the AK route after saving up a bit more cash.

Shaolin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Here's a 3rd choice. As the owner of a Mini 14 and a Saiga in 223 cal,buy a Saiga. I have always liked the Mini 14,and have shot thousands of rds out of mine over the years,it is also very accurate for a few shots-until the barrel heats up.
    I bought a Saiga a couple years ago and it will run circles around the Mini 14. It will shoot almost every type of factory ammo without complaining and is more accurate than the Mini 14 and cost 1/2 as much.

This is all true... especially with the cost of both firearms.

The longer barrel 21.5" Saiga chambered in .223 will blow the stain finish off a Mini 14 anytime and anyday. We haven't even opened up the options you have with a Saiga over a Mini 14.

Top Bottom