• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    I was thinking about getting me one of the newer Mini 14's, I have one that I got in the 70's and you might can hit a 3lbs coffee can @ 100 yards if you got a 30 round magazine full. Then I bought another one in the mid 90's and just gave up on it!
    But I have read and heard that they have improved the newer one's, any truth to this? So if any body has one of the newer one's please chime in on this and give me your opions.

Thanks
    DRJ
    Venture Surplus ad

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I had an older style stainless that I enjoyed thoroughly. Then when Ruger came out with the new barrel profile I decided I needed to see if it was as good as it was supposed to be. Well I only have one mini now and it is a blued version. So yeah while everything is the same ol' reliable mini, they have now added accuracy. Not heavy barreled AR accuracy mind you, but definitely throw it in the truck without any worries and know it will still hit accurately at 100yds. I had a cheap bushnell 3-9x32mm scope on it that I've had forever and can shoot 20rds all into the 9 ring on the targets I use (3"). Nothing like my M77MkIIVT in .308, but definitely minute of coyote accuracy. I like mine quite a bit. Your close enough you can come shoot mine sometime if you'd like. The scope's gone since I changed out the stock to an ATI but you'd still be able to get the feel for it if you want.

tju1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    McKinney Texas
    If you want to try a fix, I recommend one of these---

[url]http://accu-strut.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=A[/URL] or

[url]http://www.rogco.biz/[/URL]

I have personally use the accu-strut one on my brother in law's Mid 80s Mini 14. It doesn't look bad and it does tighten up the groups by probably 2/3rds (depending on ammo we were using). It also really helped whe nwe were shooting several mags with out a break.

I would love to try a new mini without one and shoot it against my B.I.L.'s Mini w/strut to see how it fairs.

I have no connection BTW with either company, but I found these when doing an internet search for "mini 14 accurizing parts".

I have heard that the rogco one works better, but for the price, I passed on it.

Good luck!!

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    Well I looked at one last sunday while at my local range and did notice that they have beefed up the barrel and gas block. We where shooting at about 80 yards with the peep sights and where hitting metal silouetes(sp).
    I have always like the mini I already own but it just isnt that good for hunting unless they are close.
    Thanks
    drj

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ruger's are hit or miss with their products. All mine are pre warning guns. I think they started building crap starting in the 80's. My Liberty mini 14 was a turtle slayer in it's day. Could of been i was just shooting it enough to know were it shot. Or I was using the right weight bullet for it's twist rate. I've thought about selling it as I need the room in the safe for better things.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    Well I am going to stay with my AR's for now! I still have my first mini-14 that I got in 77 this is the one you better have a 30 round magazine in it if you want to hit any thing smaller than an elephant @ 100 yards. But if the right deal comes around for one of the newer one's in the future I might jump on it.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    I was watching a video on YouTube one day. Guy was hitting nice groups at 100 yds. One thing he mentioned was the balancer on the end of the barrel. Most people think it is a flash suppressor and screw it all the way in or out to suite thier tastes in asthetics. In reallity it is there to balance agains the recoil.

In the case of the YouTube video, he was shooting .223 which is what I was looking for at the time.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I was watching a video on YouTube one day. Guy was hitting nice groups at 100 yds. One thing he mentioned was the balancer on the end of the barrel. Most people think it is a flash suppressor and screw it all the way in or out to suite thier tastes in asthetics. In reallity it is there to balance agains the recoil.

In the case of the YouTube video, he was shooting .223 which is what I was looking for at the time.

I've seen the video you are referring to and he is shooting a Mini-14 Target not a regular mini-14. The target model is available with a black Hogue overmolded stock or a green/gray laminated sock and is the only Mini-14 available with the Harmonic Balancer that you are talking about. Most mini-14s don't come with either a harmonic balancer or a flash hider. However, some, like my "tactical" model, do indeed come with a flash hider that is pinned in place. The balancer also serves to balance the flexion of the barrel for increased accuracy and has no affect on recoil.

TXwaterfowl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ive got one of the newer ones and I can honestly say it is an accurate gun at 100 yds. with iron sights. Thats as far as I have shot it, but so far I love that gun! Can't wait to put a scope on it and see what it does. Now I just have to decide which scope to put on it. Hmm.

nolanwb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Rowlett, Texas
    Just what kind of group do ya need for personal defense? If I can put all of my shots into a small paper plate at 100 yards, good enough. I want something that shoots every time I pull the trigger...the Mini 14 does that.

Top Bottom