• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atxgun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Austin, TX
    So I got a new Ruger Mini 30, used, on saturday. I took it to the range today to try it out. It came with a scope that was pretty zeroed in and I was able to get some nice groupings at 100 yds.

However it has some problems. I was constantly having feeding problems. It felt like the magazine wasn't seating all the way and I'd have to push it up to ensure a round got chambered. If it's just a bad mag that's no big deal, you can always get a new one.

Well I did get a new one on my checkout from the range. I should have thought to check it in the store but when I got home this new one wouldn't even lock in all the way. That is it would kind of click in but it didn't seem to be going all the way up and I was able to subsequently remove it by pushing it forward, sans mag release button.

Perhaps more troubling was the FTF I got. On more than one occasion (when a round actually did get chambered) I would pull the trigger and all I would hear is the hammer drop. I cautiously kept my gun down range for about 30 seconds each time fearing a slow fire of faulty ammo. However each time after ejecting there was no indentation from the firing pin. I'm not sure if this is somewhat related to the feeding problems I saw or something else.

Has anyone heard of anything like this w/ the ruger mini 30 or any other rifle? Anything I can do or did I just make a bunk purchase?

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    I purchased a mini-30 in the mid 90's and had the same problem even with factory magazines, also the no fire problem. I was using the steel cased ammo and switched to all brass cased ammo and quit having problems. The only no factory magazine that I ended up using was the Thermold mags, and they functioned great. Hope this will help you.
    DRJ

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Mini-14/30 clip info

I own a mini-14 not a mini-30. Mine is also a late 90's era gun. All clips catch that hole in the front and just roll-back to lock in. IME they all have some play, that if pressure were applied, could change the feed angle of the bullets. I just don't ever rest mine on the clip. You might also check for bent feed lips on your magazine and compare them with a known good clip. As far as the clicking without any primer strike, I have found that if you "ride the bolt" or basically let it down gently, it will misfire almost every time. Not an ideal gun for hunting because of that. Also, if your gas block/system is dirty, or if you are shooting mild reloads, they might not be cycling the bolt hard enough to load-up the hammer. Anyhow, hope this info helps - Texmex

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I own a mini-14 not a mini-30. Mine is also a late 90's era gun. All clips catch that hole in the front and just roll-back to lock in. IME they all have some play, that if pressure were applied, could change the feed angle of the bullets. I just don't ever rest mine on the clip. You might also check for bent feed lips on your magazine and compare them with a known good clip. As far as the clicking without any primer strike, I have found that if you "ride the bolt" or basically let it down gently, it will misfire almost every time. Not an ideal gun for hunting because of that. Also, if your gas block/system is dirty, or if you are shooting mild reloads, they might not be cycling the bolt hard enough to load-up the hammer. Anyhow, hope this info helps - Texmex

Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....
    Magazine....

atxgun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys. With my purchase came w/ 1000 rounds, steel casing ammo so I'll be stuck with that for a while. I had been riding the bolt a bit b/c of the feeding problems and I was trying to make sure a round got picked up.

The mag I was using def does have some physical damage which is why I initially suspected that.

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have an SS Mini-30. The only time I have had problems is an occasional misfeed with a 30 round magazine. With the factor magazine I have no problems.

Top Bottom