Join TexasGunTalk

Ruger Mini 30 Quick Question

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Mikeinhistory, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Mikeinhistory

Mikeinhistory Well-Known

Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    View attachment 24200 I'v had this Ruger Mini 30 for about 2 years. Haven't used it a lot, but I've taken it out a few times. Never any complaints, but cleaning it yesterday I noticed a "gap". Should I be concerned? I've never before noticed this, but I also haven't noticed any issues.

View attachment 24198 View attachment 24199 Can you see the gap? I's just below where the three pieces meet.

2. smee78

smee78 Member

Nov 18, 2008
    I would just check to make sure the gas block screws are tight and it should be good to go. I missed out on one of these a few years ago that a friend was selling, nice SS with synthetic stock, I bought the FAL and passed on the Mini; wish I had bought both.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  3. 9x19

9x19 Active Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Pull the hand-guard and see if there are any marks on the barrel consistent with the gas block is creeping forward.

If not, it's probably been that way all along, if so, you can use a soft faced hammer (or block of wood) to tap the gas block a bit to the rear, then make sure those four screws in the gas block are tight.

4. shortround

shortround TGT Addict

Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    All firearms have gaps, as long as it does not rattle or fall apart in use it should be OK.

Did you read the manual that came with the rifle? Ruger recommends you shoot only brass-cased 7.62x39 in that rifle.

I had a bunch of Russian steel cased ammo when I bought mine, so I called Ruger.

The answer they gave me was thus: Soviet/Russian 7.62x39 ammo is loaded with .311" bullets. American and European brass-cased ammo is "normally" loaded with .308' bullets. The Mini-Thirty barrel is bored for .308" bullets. It was not a matter of steel cases, but of bullet size.

It seems odd that there are two different 7.62x39 ammo standards, and Ruger picked the less popular one.

If you are not sure, be sure to call Ruger. The call is free.

5. Acera

Acera TGT Addict

Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Damn good information. Had never heard that before, wtf they thinking???? If you going to copy their cartridge, copy their cartridge correctly, or call it something else.

6. Mikeinhistory

Mikeinhistory Well-Known

Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX

Of course everything I have is Russian and steel cased. I specifically bought the Mini 30 over the Mini 14 because I have 3 SKSs. Figures that would be the case. Anyone want to trade a mini 30 for a mini 14? Grrrr.....

7. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The gap is normal for the Mini.

8. Mikeinhistory

Mikeinhistory Well-Known

Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    From Ruger

Response:
    We do not recommend the use of steel projectile ammunition. Steel projectiles in any rifle can cause bore damage. We do not recommend the use of foreign surplus military ammunition as it may cause the gun to misfire, mis-feed or in extreme cases can cause the firing pin to break. We do not recommend the use of any ammunition, including steel-cased ammunition, unless the ammunition is loaded to SAAMI (US) or CIP (European) manufacturing standards.

9. General Zod

General Zod Well-Known

Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Looks almost exactly like the gas block on my Mini-14. As long as everything's aligned properly (which it appears to be) and nothing's loose or creeeping, you should be good to go.

10. Mikeinhistory

Mikeinhistory Well-Known

Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Well, good to know at least the gap is normal.