• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I could only get the factory Ruger 20 round mags to work... nothing aftermarket was reliable for me. Have since sold it and moved to an AK.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Ruger's Minis are Garand-style semiautos. Very few moving parts and very reliable. They do have a number of faults, a big one being that they use "Ruger" magazines and they are very sensitive to any problems with the mags. Aftermarket mags - commonplace with the AR platform - frequently cause malfunctions. If it jams, 99% of the time it's because of the magazine.

Ruger originally announced that the new Mini would be in .308 (back in the 1980's), but apparently never got it to work right and ended up with the 7.62x39 (like the AKs).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ruger's Minis are Garand-style semiautos.

Uhhhh, no. Garand is a long stroke piston, Mini is short stroke. It's closer-related to the M14, but only very loosely based on that.

And very much lacking the reliability and accuracy of either of the other platforms.

Ruger originally announced that the new Mini would be in .308 (back in the 1980's), but apparently never got it to work right and ended up with the 7.62x39 (like the AKs).

That was referring to the barrel diameter. 7.62x39mm uses a .310" bullet. As long as the ammo isn't loaded too hot, it'll work fine in a .308" diameter (NOT .308 Winchester CHAMBER!!! - safety note) barrel.

OP: Just buy an AK. More reliable. More accurate (really). More better.

Last edited:

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    As many have stated the Mini 30 was designed to fire a specific 7.62x39. I recently just sold mine I had for 2 years. It was my go to range weapon. I would assume that I easily put 300-500 rounds trough it at least once a month. I had 3 original magazines, and 5 random aftermarket ones. Mine rarely had any feeding issues, but I did buy and try many many magazines. In the end, using steel case ammunition proved to make it about as accurate as an SKS and so I have sold it and moved back to an SKS platform. I never tried it with the brass cased ammo it was supposedly designed for, but I will say my dad's mini 14 is superbly accurate out to 200 yards. But of course he used the "correct" ammo. For the money there are just too many other choices in that caliber that will do just as well. At least in my opinion.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Uhhhh, no. Garand is a long stroke piston, Mini is short stroke. It's closer-related to the M14, but only very loosely based on that.

And very much lacking the reliability and accuracy of either of the other platforms.

That was referring to the barrel diameter. 7.62x39mm uses a .310" bullet. As long as the ammo isn't loaded too hot, it'll work fine in a .308" diameter (NOT .308 Winchester CHAMBER!!! - safety note) barrel.

OP: Just buy an AK. More reliable. More accurate (really). More better.

No, I wasn't referring to the barrel diameter. Ruger heavily advertised their "new" Mini in .308 and I knew several people who preordered them only to be severely disappointed when Ruger dumped the .308. I had planned to buy one myself.

An AK is very reliable. Nobody SANE considers them to be "accurate". That said, the AK is a better choice for 7.62x39. Regardless of platform, it's still a mediocre cartridge.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Dammit Sage!! I really wanted to do this. I guess I'll take your advice and put my money else where

They are what they are. Would it be my only rifle if I had a choice? No. But if you just want something else to shoot alongside other rifles, I'd imagine they would be fun to have for range or shooting zombies off the porch.

I own a Mini 14, bought it used, and it will shoot any ammo and is accurate enough for what I use it for.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    No, I wasn't referring to the barrel diameter. Ruger heavily advertised their "new" Mini in .308 and I knew several people who preordered them only to be severely disappointed when Ruger dumped the .308. I had planned to buy one myself.

An AK is very reliable. Nobody SANE considers them to be "accurate". That said, the AK is a better choice for 7.62x39. Regardless of platform, it's still a mediocre cartridge.

Accurate is subjective, I know, but AKs are more accurate than most people give them credit for. I know a lot of sources that consider them a 200 meter max weapon, but I've had zero problems at 250 and even 300.

A half-decent AR will stomp an AK in just about every way you can think of, though.

yellojeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    I have my mini 14 since 82 and have never had a complaint. It is not a match grade weapon but gets the job done on man / hog sized targets. It is not finicky on ammo or on mags either. But I usually use the factory RUGER 30 round mags I bought with the rifle.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have my mini 14 since 82 and have never had a complaint. It is not a match grade weapon but gets the job done on man / hog sized targets. It is not finicky on ammo or on mags either. But I usually use the factory RUGER 30 round mags I bought with the rifle.

It seems like the Mini 30 has had it's own set of issues after reading thru this thread.

yellojeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    It does, I have a friend with one and mags are a problem. Just like trying to run 7.62 x 39 in a AR-15 ...the round will not feed correctly in ar mags unlike the 300 blk.

Top Bottom