ARJ Defense ad

Ruger Mini 6.8 Has anyone seen one or got their hands on one yet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    Was looking at the Wikipedia Mini-14 article and noticed there is now a "Mini 6.8" in (obviously) 6.8 mm Remington.

I make all the local gun shows and have yet to set eyes on one. Anybody else?

DK Firearms

Attachments

• 6..jpg
      6..jpg
      28.9 KB · Views: 180

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Their web site says the Mini-14 All Weather Ranch Rifle has a 6.8 mm variant: Catalog No. KMini-6.8/5P, Model 5814. Suggested retail: $949.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I saw one about two+ years ago at the NRA convention in Missouri. On the shelf at a gun store, no, not yet. That was before Ruger got serious about their accuracy. That may be some of the reason for the delay.

SigP220

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Spring, Tx
    I have seen a couple on the shelves, both were stainless. With the 6.8 spc be sure to get a current manufacture with SAAMI 2 chamber and 1/11 twist so you can shoot all available ammo. Good looking rifle. Good luck if you get one.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    One of the local shops has a very slightly used one. They guy who bought didn't realize who hard to find and how expensive the ammo was for it and traded it back in.

SigP220

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Spring, Tx
    I find it interesting with all the talk about the high cost of ammo for the 6.8spc. No, there is no Wolf, Brown and Silver Bear, Rem UMC or WWB available, but this ammo in my opinion is good for making a bang for under $10 a box. Get serious and go to Rem, Win, Fed, Hornady, SSA or other "premium" ammo and the price doubles to $20. Same price as the 6.8 ammo. However, for cheap shooting and watching cans jump I use a 22. I get 50 rounds for a little over a buck rather than 20 rounds for $6-10. I like my 6.8 for serious long range target shooting and hunting and it costs me no more than any other quality ammo to shoot.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    At the local shops Remington 223 JSP is 15.95, Remington 6.8SPD 115 gr FMJ is 21.95, Hornady TAP (when available) is 29.95. When a new to guns buyer sees defensive ammo for his chosen new rifle is 29.95 and a nearly identical rifle (mini30) shoots brown bear, golden tiger, or silver whatever hollow points for 9.95 what do you think he is going to do? Besides it is not just the price. When the shop has a few cases of 223 in several different loads, many cases of different flavors of 7.62X39, and five boxes of 6.8 FMJ on the shelf the potential buyer is going to believe that ammo for his chosen caliber is hard to come by.

Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    At the local shops Remington 223 JSP is 15.95, Remington 6.8SPD 115 gr FMJ is 21.95, Hornady TAP (when available) is 29.95. When a new to guns buyer sees defensive ammo for his chosen new rifle is 29.95 and a nearly identical rifle (mini30) shoots brown bear, golden tiger, or silver whatever hollow points for 9.95 what do you think he is going to do? Besides it is not just the price. When the shop has a few cases of 223 in several different loads, many cases of different flavors of 7.62X39, and five boxes of 6.8 FMJ on the shelf the potential buyer is going to believe that ammo for his chosen caliber is hard to come by.

Speaking of the price of .223, Dick's Sporting Goods in Allen Texas had Rem. UMC .223 on sale today for $7.50 Don't know if it was a one day deal at that store or limited quantity but DFW shooters be aware of that good deal. They had six or seven whole cases on the rack and a quantity of probably 25, 20 round boxes on the shelf above the cases.

WhoDat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Had a Mini-14, about 10 years ago, and it was about the least accurate rifle I've owned. Even my SKS and AKs could shoot circles around it. I've known a few people who swear by them, and I suspect they've improved their accuracy, but I'll never own one again.

Having said that, I have handled Ruger's new AR-15, and that thing kicks butt.

Top Bottom