• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I was at a local pawn shop this weekend looking for a used shotgun. I came across a ruger mk 2 .22 pistol, in the glass display case for $385. White grips and looked in decent shape. No visible rust (didn’t ask to look at it).

Is that a worthwhile gun? Reasonable price?
    I’ve always liked those rugers a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Great gun. The price is around the price of a new MK4 or Buckmark Camper. Some models of the MKII are pretty collectible now, so depending on what it is exactly the price may be fair or not or great.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I might get one at this price, for nestolaga.

However, if you ever took one apart to clean, THEN put it back togeth-er, to-gether, to-ge-th-er... a-gain, ag-ain...
    you'd be looking to pay a bit more for a MK-IV without the "dingleberry" issues,
    but I managed with the MK-III, but I sold it, and the MK-III 22/45, as I can get a MK-IV very soon, and it'll be worth it to me.

This is a MK-III, but here is a video about the dingleberry...

I don't like the Euro-bottom mag releases on the old stuff.
    Give me a Browning-placed thumb mag release like a GD-American... every time.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    IMO, well worth the asking price.

I have the Mk III 22/45. They are a bit difficult or tricky the first few times, but it becomes easier the more times you disassemble and assemble them.

Are they reliable guns? I’ve only owned 22 revolvers, not semi’s.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I was at a local pawn shop this weekend looking for a used shotgun. I came across a ruger mk 2 .22 pistol, in the glass display case for $385. White grips and looked in decent shape. No visible rust (didn’t ask to look at it).

Is that a worthwhile gun? Reasonable price?
    I’ve always liked those rugers a lot

Hey 98,

BUY! NOW!

Is that the 5-7/8" (or 6")? Bull Barrel?

Steal of the week!

Later, Mark

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Very reliable. I have several. There is a trick for disassembly and especially reassembly upon cleaning. I don't think there's a more reliable semi-auto 22 pistol.

I once tore one of mine down for a deep cleaning. This was before internet days. When I couldn't get it back together, I decided to take a second one apart to do a reverse engineering sort of thing. About 2 weeks later, I was able to get a copy of the owner's manual and get them both reassembled where they had laid on the kitchen table, unassembled, for weeks!

There is a trick to it, and once you learn the trick it's simple. Offer them $325 OTD and do from there!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Are they reliable guns? I’ve only owned 22 revolvers, not semi’s.

Ruger, .22, reliable.
    Peas in a pod.

Yes, a mkII is a bit persnikety to disassemble and reassemble.
    But it only needs doing every few thousand rounds.

Get the dang thing or tell me where it is!

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Very reliable. I have several. There is a trick for disassembly and especially reassembly upon cleaning. I don't think there's a more reliable semi-auto 22 pistol.

I once tore one of mine down for a deep cleaning. This was before internet days. When I couldn't get it back together, I decided to take a second one apart to do a reverse engineering sort of thing. About 2 weeks later, I was able to get a copy of the owner's manual and get them both reassembled where they had laid on the kitchen table, unassembled, for weeks!

There is a trick to it, and once you learn the trick it's simple. Offer them $325 OTD and do from there!

Hopefully cash in hand and the convenience of having a LTC will get them to haggle. Sounds like I have somewhere to be after work tomorrow!
    If I get it, I’ll post pics

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Hopefully cash in hand and the convenience of having a LTC will get them to haggle. Sounds like I have somewhere to be after work tomorrow!
    If I get it, I’ll post pics

I'd personally try to haggle for a lesser price, but, $385 is till a decent price for that pistol IMO.

Hope you get it, and looking forward to seeing pictures.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    ec6bb887e3da59c0d34666baa3996f81.jpg

I think this was it

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I’d do it. Mk IIs are said to be some of the best they offered.
    This.

The Mk II is absolutely the best of the Ruger semi-auto .22s. The Standard/Mk I didn't have a last-round hold-open. The Mk II fixed that and achieved perfection. The Mk III was a huge step backwards when they added the unnecessary loaded chamber indicator and the deleterious magazine safety. The Mk IV is even worse in that the triggers generally aren't as good (which was true of the Mk III, also).

You can fix the problems with the III and IV but why bother? That question is particularly important if you get a III or IV with a really bad trigger; in those cases, the fixes can become more expensive than they should be. The IIs tended to have great triggers and most of them are worn in nicely if they haven't been abused.

For serious target shooting, the Mk II is so good that to really surpass it by enough of a margin to make a difference in your scores (apologies to all my S&W M41-loving friends) you need to move up to an FWB, Pardini, or custom 1911. Everything in the middle isn't nearly as good on a cost-to-capability ratio basis. And unlike the really expensive target guns, the Mk II is plain enough, reliable enough, and durable enough to use as a general purpose plinker without having to be treated with kid gloves.

On an almost side note, I find that my early, heavy Mk II magazines are much more durable/reliable than any new magazines produced in the last 15 years or so, even the Ruger brand ones.

If you want a Ruger Mk semi, get a Mk II.

Definitely.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I have had a MKII for decades. Nice pistol but as others have said, it can be a pain to disassemble and assemble. The assembly is the tougher operation for most folks.

You Tube has plenty of videos on how to do both. I made one, for each disassembly and assembly. The one on assembly has gotten over 50K views. Some folks do not like mine because of my preface about safety and because it is a long video. You can always advance it to the operative part you need to watch but the devil is in the details or at least in not knowing the details; so, my video is heavy on details. With over 50K views though, plenty of folks must find it useful.

I also have a Mark IV. Also a nice pistol.

Top Bottom