• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zembonez

TGT Addict
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I'd like your commments on Ruger revolvers. I like their stuff (and yes I am aware they are a mid pack manufacturer) I particularly like the Blackhawks. Any input?

:confused:
    Target Sports

phatcyclist

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ruger makes great revolvers. Every one I've ever picked up had a very tight lock-up, and felt quite substantial. I've been mulling over the idea of purchasing an SP101 in .357 magnum as a concealed carry. Their full-size revolvers have some of the strongest actions out there. I know the Cor-bon .454 Casull load should only be used in certain revolver actions, and I believe the Ruger Redhawk is one of the few.

What are you looking for in particular caliber wise?

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I was thinking blues .45 colt - 7.5 inch barrel but it has been discontinued (or so I am told). A stainless model is still available but I'd have to lose the factory grips. Practically the same money but I didn't like the flash of the satin SS as much. Not EXACTLY a good CC pistol.

ReVrEnD_0341

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The SP-101 is a dang good wheel gun. I wouldn't say ruger revolvers are mid pack at all. I own 3 of their SA revolvers. Great for hunting and Cowboy action shooting. I have been seriously wanting a set of Vaquero's in 45 Colt. One of the nicest crisp actions I have slung out of a holster. Right now I sport a Bearcat, Single six convertable, and a Blackhawk .357. You will enjoy a Ruger wheel gun.

cold_zero

Feb 22, 2008
    Ruger makes fine revolvers. It really depends on what you want to use the revolver for. I am a big fan of the Super Redhawk and I own one.

If you are looking for something to carry, I would highly suggest an SP101. Having the versatility of carrying .357 or 38 special in a very well built frame are some of its selling points. I would also suggest looking into the GP100 if you want a bigger frame than the SP101.

If you want something for hunting, I would suggest the Redhawk or the Super Redhawk. These things are built like bank safes. Good quality and can take a beating.

bud

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You know, I take back what I said about hating all revolvers. I think the Ruger SP-101 in .357 is one I could actually see myself buying. As far as revolvers go, I just think they look nice plus in a 2.25" barrel and .357 it would make for a nice little carry gun. Stuff like Redhawks are cool too since they are big bore.

Hobie Dog

Feb 24, 2008
    San Marcos, Texas
    Ruger Revolvers

Hard to find a better built revolver, especially for the money. I own 2 Vaquero's in 45 colt. The redhawk and blackhawk versions are solid. My only negative is on the "New Vaquero". They were redesigned for cowboy action people. They seem pleased with them but to make the authentic the downsized, using less steel. Most gun experts I have talked to don't want anything to do with them. The pre-2005 Vaquero is built on the same frame as redhawk and will take heavy hunting ammo. I loooove my pre-2005 Vaquero's. One blue, one stainless.

JoeyZ

Feb 23, 2008
    I just saw an article about a Ruger SP-101 chambered for a new caliber, .327. Apears ruger teamed with I think Federal and came up with this new round which is some sort of hot-rodded .32. Looked interesting.

phatcyclist

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking at this new .327 Federal magnum, this looks like a very good round! Not sure if it will catch on (.32s have been outcast for a while), but it is quite powerful for it's size. Federal makes a load that is 100 grains, 1500FPS, and 500 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. That's really quite nice.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think what he meant to say is does it come with a pack of Tampax, meaning it's sissy small. ;) That sounds like some pretty decent velocity and energy though!

JoeyZ

Feb 23, 2008
    Here's a link to the article.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/st327_110707/

ST327_110707B.gif

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Super Redhawk

I have Super Redhawk in .454 Cassull. It is only used for hunting. I can add that it is quite effective and accurate. I have had absolutely no issues with it and it has only been fed Hornady 300gr (plus a box of .45 long Colts). It has a Leupold scope & LaserMax grips.....it's a great hog gun.

Top Bottom