• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 14, 2008
    Southwest
    Hello. Four years ago I wound up with a NIB Ruger SP101 with the 3 1/16" barrel. Almost exclusively an S&W revolver shooter, I was not sure if I'd keep the thing or not, but do admit that there was sort of an "instant attraction" to the little .357 after handling it.

I shot it during a few range trips and then wound up doing an initial evaluation of the gun. Here's the link should anyone want it read it:

[url]http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Ruger%20SP101%20Report.htm[/URL]

I also used it as one of the "test guns" when trying out Corbon's then-new .357 Magnum 125-gr. DPX ammunition:

[url]http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon%20357%20Magnum%20125%20gr%20DPX%20Ammo.htm[/URL]

Since those reports, I've continued to shoot the little thing off and on, but not with great amounts of ammunition each range session, but over time, my somewhat skimpy notes indicate that it has put at least another thousand rounds of 357 ammunition downrange.

If interested, here's report on the same SP101 and a few minor alterations I've had done to it:

[url]http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/range_report%20-%20Ruger%20SP101%20-%20A%20Thousand%20Rnds%20Later.htm[/URL]

Best.
    ARJ Defense ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wow. I rented one of those once and put 25 rounds of .357 through it. It actually left me sore, which was a first for me.

Congrats on making it to 1,000... you masochist. :p

wendyZXZ

Sep 13, 2009
    China Spring
    Excellent reports!

My carry weapon is a SP101 in .357 Magnum with the 3.16" barrel. I also load mine with Remington Golden Saber rounds because I like the mid range load. I shoot full power on occasion and it can be a handful. My car pistol is my H&K USP .40. I load is with 165 grain Remington Golden Saber rounds.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I installed the Hogue grips on my SP101 and I actually went back to the original stock grips because I found them to be more comfortable... This is still a beast of a pistol... The weight alone could knock an assailant on his ass... I love mine... I've got the 3 1/16 barrel but I'm thinking of adding the snubbie to my collection as well... I prefer to shoot mine single-action as I've practiced with it that way and have gotten quick and concise with my movements, but I could revert back to double action if need be... The hammer pull is just incredibly heavy to my liking... All in all though it is reliable and a great car gun...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The problem is with using a revolver in single action in a self-defense scenario. The trigger pull is actually too light, and if you only are going to shoot it in SA, you're going back to the days of the old Colt single-action pistols... Getting off follow-up shots is going to take too long.

Amistad

Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    That's what I'm talkin' abpout!

Thanks for posting about this sweet little wheel gun. The SP101 was my first revolver, having had it now about 2 1/2 years. The fired-round count is now at 2, 215 with zero problems. Most of these have been reloads that I've put together.

My wife uses this as her home defense weapon, and it is one that we have complete trust in, should it ever need to be pressed into service in protection mode...

Amistad

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    The problem is with using a revolver in single action in a self-defense scenario. The trigger pull is actually too light, and if you only are going to shoot it in SA, you're going back to the days of the old Colt single-action pistols... Getting off follow-up shots is going to take too long.

True indeed sage... with those straight iron sights that first shot has to count and then double action shot afterwards... Trigger too light? I know accidents could happen and according to Murphy's law probably will but If my finger is touching that trigger it will be squeezing...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The thing is that with the degradation of fine motor controls and your sense of touch under heavy fight-or-flight adrenaline, the single-action mode of most revolvers doesn't give you enough resistance on the trigger for you to notice in that situation. Most of the revolvers I'm familiar with will fire with little more than a light touch on the trigger in single action.

FWIW, any time my pistol is held at extension, I'm on the sights and finger on the trigger. Otherwise, it's back in a "guard".

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom