• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    Has anyone picked one of these up yet? If so where did you get it and how are you liking it. The idea of getting one keeps going back and forth in my head.
    Military Camp

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    They are on the shelves. I've seen some pics ,but no range reports yet. Sounds like they are retailing in the $1400-$1600 range. Might not be that bad of a deal after all.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    This rifle kind of pisses me off. I think they should fix the Mini-14 before offering another carbine in the same caliber. The only thing wrong with the Mini is it is inaccurate. I kind of hope the SR556 is as inaccurate as the Mini.

I do not think they will sell well unless the NRA fluffs them up in Rifleman Magazine, and even then the only people who will buy them will be the people who are in lockstep with the NRA and believe everything they say.

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    My first thoughts were "great...another AR". We need another AR like we need another 1911. Where is the innovation? Where is the pioneering spirit that helped build this country? Where is the AUG clone chambered in 7.62mmS that takes AK mags???

Either way, we got one in at Red's North, and it is just like all the other ARs out there.

thehemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Texas
    The only thing wrong with the Mini is it is inaccurate. I kind of hope the SR556 is as inaccurate as the Mini.

Read the quick little review that I came across.

"At about 100 yards, he found sub-one-inch groups easy, with Match grade 69 grain and 77 grain loads from Black Hills Ammunition shooting the tightest."

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    They are on the shelves. I've seen some pics ,but no range reports yet. Sounds like they are retailing in the $1400-$1600 range. Might not be that bad of a deal after all.

On the cover of the new Guns & Ammo...........just received in the mail and haven't read the article yet.

Okie556

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Ok, I don't know much about the way the AR platform works, but I've heard that this piston system is cleaner, but it adds 5 or so hundred dollars. Right?

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    A top dollar AR would be about the same price as the SR556 is turning out to be. I really want one but still havn't seen enough reviews from regular people to say they got all the bugs worked out.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Care to elaborate?

If it were made by Century Arms it wouldn't have surprised me.

The quality control is horrible. The rails are of different thicknesses, and that required the front site to be essentially hammered on it appears, as it removed the parkerization on the front rail (which is obviously wider to the eye).

The "free-float" hand guard is separated from the front gas block by a hair's width, so when the gun heats up the zero might migrate if these two touch.

The gun is heavy, moreso than other standard gas piston guns. The action is grittier than a Sherpa's feet, and the parkerized finish is thin and crappy.

Bushmaster, S&W, LMT, Colt, etc. are all better made guns.

I'm somewhat dissapointed, although I wasn't expecting top-of-the-line from Ruger's entrant.

Flight954

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    I would lay a crispy benji down that Ruger rushed out the first round of SR556's simply to get it to market before it went flat. I'd say they are a tad bit late.:banghead:

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ouch.
    i was reading a magazine maybe guns and ammo. had it ont he cover.
    i was drooling over the piston system right there in the asle, but it was either buy the magazine or the last box of .22 lr so i jsut read the article before i checked out.
    osunded good on paper.
    the piston system that is.
    but now im second guessing.
    perhaps ruger got the author drunk after the range trip and got him to take a little poetic liscense?
    heheh. geez. because either Texas1911 got a bad one, the author got a good one, or someone is fibbing.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    OK I'm virtually a rifle-tard I know very little about them so to speak. The 556 is the same as the 223? is there any difference or can you shoot a 223 and a 556 round out of the same weapon?

Top Bottom