• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yesterday on my run just a block from the house I experience an interaction that bothered me. Needless to say it got me thinking about getting myself squared away with a carry for running. In lieu of gun I'd often take the pocket knife clipped to my waistband. But really, I'd like to move to a gun instead.

How do you runners carry?

I anticipate I'll need a "running gun"...something light weight, small and it will probably get beat up and sweat on. But the gun is the easier of the two components to find, the holster is the challenge.

Belly band? Some kind of outdoorsy shoulder/chest rig?

I don't like the idea of a strap of anything on my when running because of the heat. These cooler months aren't bad and it might actually help to stay warm without excess clothing.

I don't want to try out a million different gadgets but I might have to.

Ideas?
    Hurley's Gold

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    That for sure is a challenge in the summer. I usually wear a ligjht shirt and athletic shorts, most without pockets. It's next to impossible to carry anything other than a very small light Keltec. (which I don't have) even my ex - Khar PM9 was to heavey to stuff in my shorts. So, summer I simply don't carry unless I'm going out after dark which is rare.

Winter time, when the time changes in a few weeks, I'm always in the dark (hmmm not sure that came out right) and wear pants with pockets, so I used to carry my PM9, but I just sold that. I'll be getting a J frame to take it's place, and that's what will tag along.

I have a friend that carries one of these (or similar) day in and day out in back pocket of jeans.

[URL]http://www.pocketholsters.com/Kel-Tec_Pocket_Wallet_Holster/kel-tec_pocket_wallet_holster.html[/URL]

That could work if you have shorts/pants on with a pocket.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Hmm, good thought. I was thinking of the Jframe/KelTec/Kahr type for the gun.

My nicer wind pants are lined and have pockets and they are what I wear for cooler weather. I've been hesitant to carry anything of significant weight in my pockets just because I don't want them flopping around. Would a pocket carry act the same? Currently I only carry my keys (3 keys total) in my pocket and they're not noticeable.

Summer clothing would definitely be the challenge.

CALI

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    I use this product from RunTex [URL]http://www.runtex.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=91[/URL].

Pros:
    I carry my S&W 642 in the main pocket and it's very tight. I use the outside pocket for my CHL ID and my car key. I've tried everything but this one is the most comfortable and you can position it to your back or front. I find the front a lot more accessible. I use it during the summer and cold weather. It's made out of neoprene and very stretchable for fit/comfort.

Cons:
    Can't deploy the gun easily due to the zipper. But with practice you should be good...

Recommendation:

I use a large type of keychain and hooked it on the main zipper tab that way it's easy to access and unzipped when needed.

This product from my experience is the best for this application. It will easily house any hand gun that is smaller than a S&W 642. You will never have to worry about your gun in your pocket bouncing around and it's very LOW PROFILE.

Good luck.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Yesterday on my run just a block from the house I experience an interaction that bothered me. Needless to say it got me thinking about getting myself squared away with a carry for running. In lieu of gun I'd often take the pocket knife clipped to my waistband. But really, I'd like to move to a gun instead.

How do you runners carry?

I anticipate I'll need a "running gun"...something light weight, small and it will probably get beat up and sweat on. But the gun is the easier of the two components to find, the holster is the challenge.

Belly band? Some kind of outdoorsy shoulder/chest rig?

I don't like the idea of a strap of anything on my when running because of the heat. These cooler months aren't bad and it might actually help to stay warm without excess clothing.

I don't want to try out a million different gadgets but I might have to.

Ideas?

I'm wearing running shorts (sort of, same size) right now with a full size 1911A1 and an extra mag in a Smartcarry. It's comfortable to walk or run in if you wear it at 11 o'clock and no one ever sees it. My shorts have a pattern and hides the slight bulge of the grip. The tie strings hanging in front help a lot too.

Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    I thought about trying my LCP in a smartcarry but decided against it - I just run unarmed

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I use this product from RunTex [URL="http://www.runtex.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=91"][url]http://www.runtex.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=91[/URL][/URL].

Pros:
    I carry my S&W 642 in the main pocket and it's very tight. I use the outside pocket for my CHL ID and my car key. I've tried everything but this one is the most comfortable and you can position it to your back or front. I find the front a lot more accessible. I use it during the summer and cold weather. It's made out of neoprene and very stretchable for fit/comfort.

Cons:
    Can't deploy the gun easily due to the zipper. But with practice you should be good...

Recommendation:

I use a large type of keychain and hooked it on the main zipper tab that way it's easy to access and unzipped when needed.

This product from my experience is the best for this application. It will easily house any hand gun that is smaller than a S&W 642. You will never have to worry about your gun in your pocket bouncing around and it's very LOW PROFILE.

Good luck.
    I would think that a fanny pack likie this would be the best idea.

Navarone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Dallas
    I run with a camelback octane with a kel tec or my taurus 709 in the side pocket. The only drawback is that is not as fast coming from the back. I cant stand anything on my waist or belly when im running, so my back since I already carry water there is my next option.

Heres an example of the product.
    [url]http://www.sagecycles.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HN02CBOC04&Category_Code=HN02&Store_Code=sc&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=na&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=HN02CBOC04[/URL]

Sheriff10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I carry a Ruger LCP in a fanny pack. It also carries my CHL and phone so I can call in for air support during battle. I spin the fanny pack around behind me for comfort. Of course that means I have to really be aware of my surroundings due to the extra seconds it will take to bring the pack around to the front, unzip, and bring the firearm out.

It is not heavy at all as the LCP is a really lightweight firearm.

If I preceive a threat, I go ahead and bring it around and unzip it.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I run with a camelback octane with a kel tec or my taurus 709 in the side pocket. The only drawback is that is not as fast coming from the back. I cant stand anything on my waist or belly when im running, so my back since I already carry water there is my next option.

Heres an example of the product.
    [URL="http://www.sagecycles.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HN02CBOC04&Category_Code=HN02&Store_Code=sc&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=na&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=HN02CBOC04"][url]http://www.sagecycles.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HN02CBOC04&Category_Code=HN02&Store_Code=sc&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=na&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=HN02CBOC04[/URL][/URL]
    I've thought about this for when I ride my bicycle, how do you like the 709? I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I carry a Ruger LCP in a fanny pack. It also carries my CHL and phone so I can call in for air support during battle. I spin the fanny pack around behind me for comfort. Of course that means I have to really be aware of my surroundings due to the extra seconds it will take to bring the pack around to the front, unzip, and bring the firearm out.

It is not heavy at all as the LCP is a really lightweight firearm.

If I preceive a threat, I go ahead and bring it around and unzip it.

This is what I was thinking I might do if I go the waist pack route. I'm very aware of things coming up in front of me. I got good at looking ahead when we started taking the dog with.

Offhand, in regards to what's behind me, I wish I had rear views. When I run the designated city trails through the woods, I'm still on guard and check six. I'd hate to be taken by surprise from behind because I got complacent. It does help that I run sans MP3 player and I can hear everything around me. I started going without it because the buds were bothering my ears. Then I found I got better run pace because I'm more in tune with my breathing.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom