• ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Sounds harmless to me ...

The head of the Russian navy has said that a Mistral-class vessel could put as many troops in Georgia in 40 minutes as the Russian Black Sea Fleet took 26 hours to land during the nations' August 2008 war.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Umm guys, it is a French ship. We could load up on my pontoon boat and just ram it. Or shoot it with BB guns. I have a hard time getting worked up about anything that has France and military in the same sentence.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The French won't fight but they make good weapons. The ship in question as I understood it can run up on the beach while troops and equipment come flying out of it then back to sea without a hitch. Now that may not bother us but Georgia has a legitimate need to be scared.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    What does it matter, Georgia cannot stop Russia. They can whine all day, but this changes absolutely nothing. Russian paratroopers can be flooded into Georgia in less than 30 minutes too. Russia has 4 divisions of paratroopers, which number about 60,000 men. The active duty army of Georgia has 37,000 men.

They have to rely on someone like the US to protect them, and no one is going to risk a war with Russia. Just the same as Russia is not going to intervene in US affairs militarily.

The Russian military is archaic relics from the Cold War, there's nothing wrong with letting them re-gear.

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    The French make good weapons? Do we forget about the Exocet missles that everyone was afraid of during the Faulklands, but the missles went through the ships rather than detonate inside the ships?

The Russians are way behind the technology, and they are trying to buy their way into the 21st century: however, just like other military hardware whatever they buy will be stripped down.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Typical french

Too damn scared to drive a war ship, had to sell it

In the old days the Brits had red coats so you could not see the blood of your fallen soldiers, now we know why the french had brown pants...

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    French Fighters

Men if you have never fought beside a frenchman then you speak unwisely. In the early seventies I had the pleasure of having several men from France as comrads in Angola and they were as tough and deadly as anyone in country. They were there to promote freedom from a dictator that believed in genocide. So my hat is off to my brothers in France and I bid them a safe 2010.

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    The French Foreign Legion (French: Légion étrangère) is a unique unit in the French Army, established in 1831. The legion was specifically created for foreign nationals wishing to serve in the French Armed Forces, but commanded by French officers. However, it is also open to French citizens, who amount to 24% of recruits.

The Regular French Army didn't impress anyone in WWI & WWII.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    The French make good weapons? Do we forget about the Exocet missles that everyone was afraid of during the Faulklands, but the missles went through the ships rather than detonate inside the ships?

The French do have their areas of expertise, including missiles and radar systems, but when it comes to shipbuilding they are poor at best. Excellent example is their most recently constructed carrier, the Charles de Gaulle. This ship had one of its two propellers fall off on it's shakedown cruise! Since this ship was built it has spent almost its entire service life in port and/or drydock receiving repairs, and has only deployed once. This is typical of their navy. Let the Russians have it.

Now I don't know just WTF Russia is thinking but it can't be good. I think they want to buy this ship and then put together destroyers and and more identical to this one together and then they will chomping at the bit to use their shinny new ships. I don't know, maybe it is harmless. :rolleyes:
    [

Having is not the same as operating. Any ship is only effective as long as it can deploy to any region in the world and remain on-station. Thus, three ships of any class are necessary to maintain a credible defense: one is typically in drydock/refitting, one is training/readying for deployment, and one is deployed. A single ship means pretty much jack squat. Large-deck amphibs and carriers also are difficult to run effectively. America makes carrier ops look easy, but we've been doing it over 80 years. Even if--IF--the Russians or Chicomms miraculously built three carriers each for their navies, it would take a couple decades for them to conduct carrier ops effectively enough to be a viable threat. Translation = there's nothing to fear from a single amphibious assault ship.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    America makes carrier ops look easy, but we've been doing it over 80 years. Even if--IF--the Russians or Chicomms miraculously built three carriers each for their navies, it would take a couple decades for them to conduct carrier ops effectively enough to be a viable threat. Translation = there's nothing to fear from a single amphibious assault ship.

Less we forget that the Japanese conducted successful multi-carrier attacks on Pearl Harbor with their new ships. We have alot of experience, but it only takes one good hit to do a strong blow.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Men if you have never fought beside a frenchman then you speak unwisely. In the early seventies I had the pleasure of having several men from France as comrads in Angola and they were as tough and deadly as anyone in country. They were there to promote freedom from a dictator that believed in genocide. So my hat is off to my brothers in France and I bid them a safe 2010.

I must agree. The French government has always been a steeping pile of feces, but the French people are delightful as a whole and they have historically produced some of the finest fighters and weapons. I would not want Americans to be judged based upon the failures of our current government. BTW, I apologize to all the turds of the worlds for implying the French government is equal to fecal.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Less we forget that the Japanese conducted successful multi-carrier attacks on Pearl Harbor with their new ships. We have alot of experience, but it only takes one good hit to do a strong blow.

The Japanese were present as observers when Billy Mitchell sank several vessels in 1921. They learned the lessons of naval air warfare that we did not, and then spent the next 20 years intensively training for future combat that led up to Pearl Harbor.

Also, ship design has come a long way since the days of sinking a carrier with a single 500 pound bomb, and there are two ready examples of this: the detonation of a Zuni rocket plus several 500, 1,000, and 2,000 bombs aboard the USS Forrestal in 1967, as well as the 1969 accident aboard the USS Enterprise where almost a dozen bombs of various sizes detonated. Both carriers survived damage that would have sunk a WWII Essex class carrier in minutes. Nimitz class carriers are even more survivable than Enterprise and Forrestal.

The Russians and Chinese are, at best, several decades away from fielding a viable carrier force...that is if they ever genuinely start building one.

Top Bottom