• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The thing about removing rust chemically is that it's always easier to remove the un-oxidized part than the rusted part. Also, some chemicals - notably anything with chlorine - are difficult to get out of the tiny cracks on the surface and will promote rusting later on. There are some anticorrosion sprays and such, but they require some elbow grease to make them work.
    Venture Surplus ad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The thing about removing rust chemically is that it's always easier to remove the un-oxidized part than the rusted part. Also, some chemicals - notably anything with chlorine - are difficult to get out of the tiny cracks on the surface and will promote rusting later on. There are some anticorrosion sprays and such, but they require some elbow grease to make them work.

I have used them all, literally. The rust converter creme is the best I came across. It physically changes the chemical composition of the rust, back to metal. The more in a crack, the better. Nothing to remove, no scale, ready for primer.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    deemus, you use primer on top of rust converter??? I have always sprayed paint directly on top of it, sans primer. The RustOleum I have used says no need for primer. However I may not be looking for as high quality finish as you have been.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    deemus, you use primer on top of rust converter??? I have always sprayed paint directly on top of it, sans primer. The RustOleum I have used says no need for primer. However I may not be looking for as high quality finish as you have been.

I was once a pro painter, so its more habit than anything. Any bare metal always gets a coat of metal primer prior to finish coat. Some paints require a specialty primer, but I always use some sort of primer. Makes the finish last longer as a general rule.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've learned lots in this thread. Thanks to all.

This is the press as I found it.

DSC_0169_zps0e69fa8e.jpg

I dropped it in vinegar for 2 days then hit it with a pressure washer. This is the result.

DSC_0175_zps89b22ec6.jpg

After the washer, I was able to move the handle and change the position of the riser on the ram. That uncovered a whole new area of rust on the lower section of the ram.

Also, the power washer knocked off a lot of black paint revealing the shiny, bright cast iron underneath. In less than the ten minutes or so that it took me to put up the power washer and grab my camera, a light coat of rust had formed over the newly-exposed metal. Notice how in the two pictures, some areas that were black with paint in the first picture have a light brown patina in the second picture. That patina took literally minutes to form.

Since I need to remove more rust from the newly-exposed parts of the press, I dropped it back in the vinegar bath. I'll pull it out and blast it again in a couple of days.

More pictures to come as the restoration progresses.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    the rust converter will prevent that rust from forming.

Oh, and don't get that stuff on your hands.

Last edited:

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    When I am using vinegar after I wash it off I blow the water off, tho wiping it down would work, then immediately spray ti down with WD 40 or coat it with oil.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Surprised no one has mentioned kerosene.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

I have used it before, but the oily residue is a problem if you are painting the surface. Its pretty hard to get it all off, especially if its an uneven or a surface with lots of detail.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Suppose you're right, because I never tried getting it off afterwards because it's a great lubricant and protectant too. Guess the ol light a match fix might do it.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    THis.

I have use this to remove rust from exhaust manifolds and it works awesome. I did have to stop the process and clean the water since it was pulling the rust from the interior of the manifold and making a mess. You can get Borax at Wally for $3 / Charger for $30 / BIG plastic tub or trash can / sacrificial steel and you're good to go.

This works awesome, there was a guy with an old VFR series Honda that used this process to clean all the rust out of his gas tank. You should have seen the rod he used as an electrode inside the tank.....It grew to about twice the normal size.(GO AHEAD......Insert Favorite Penis Reference Here)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, did you ever get it cleaned up & working?
    Yes and no. Certain parts are proprietary (I'll never find a replacement primer assembly) but it's certainly usable for resizing. I haven't painted it so it looks like crap but I like it.

Top Bottom