Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    so you just soaked it in vinegar?
    Vinegar, brushing, powerwashing, a bit of jelly-type rust remover on the fasteners, and some oil.

I really should have updated the thread with more pics. Later this week, perhaps, but I'm off to bed right now and solidly busy for the next couple of days.
    Capitol Armory ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Sounds like the problem has been solved, but I'll recommend vinegar again. I've used it for rust removal quite a bit. If you need it to be a little more aggressive, add some salt.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you need it to be a little more aggressive, add some salt.

how long with the vinegar & salt?
    Stated another way, what percentage of time can be saved compared to straight vinegar? I wound up soaking this thing for days to make it usable again and I sure would have liked a way to cut that time frame.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I bought a Python that was treated terribly. Had surface rust built up in the engraving and in most crevices.

Local gunsmith gave me a tuft of brass wool. That, ballistol and lots of light scrubbing brought back that tell-tale Colt blue.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Stated another way, what percentage of time can be saved compared to straight vinegar? I wound up soaking this thing for days to make it usable again and I sure would have liked a way to cut that time frame.
    Kinda depends on how much salt you add, but I would say it cuts the time in half if not more. Vinegar by itself is a very weak acetic acid solution which is barely ionizing. Adding salt ionizes the acetic acid/water solution and converts some of it to hydrogen chloride. I haven't ever tired to figure out how much is the optimal amount of salt to use, but I've heard 1 cup of salt per gallon of vinegar. I usually use less... Heat helps as well. For small parts I use my ultrasonic cleaner, but for big stuff I put them in a Rubbermaid tub with an aquarium heater. You want to thoroughly wash the parts with water afterwards, perhaps even with baking soda. If you don't neutralize the acid then the same properties that make it dissolve rust will accelerate it in the presence of oxygen.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    When I looked it up. Salt supposedly makes a mild hydrochloric when mixed with vinegar. When soaked in only vinegar it doesn't flash rust as fast. With salt added, air drying it off and itll flash rust. It's not a biggy. Phosphorus acid is the ingredient in navel jelly and the other rust stuff liquids. CLR has a decent amount in it.

Add a drop(s) of dish soap to the vinegar bath. That seems to help.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    In a former life I used a product called "Ospho" which is Ph acidic solution. It turns the rusty part black when it's done. If it gets ashy, just wipe off with a damp cloth. Works fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    In a former life I used a product called "Ospho" which is Ph acidic solution. It turns the rusty part black when it's done. If it gets ashy, just wipe off with a damp cloth. Works fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They sale the modern equivalent at Lowe's. Diluted Phosphoric Acid. Which reacts with rust and turns it inert.

The issue is, unless the objects soaked in it. The clumps of inert rust remain.

With vinegar, the reaction with rust is that removes it from the base metal in flakes. Something about an ion attaching somewhere, floating off the metal.

Phosphoric acid is better used after a soak in vinegar. As a prep for paint. Even diluted, it's more aggressive to the base metal. It'll eat cast iron for lunch. Vinegar removes the rust with the least amount of acid etch at 1/3 the cost of phosphoric acids products. Such as navel jelly, bare metal paint prep, CLR, acid wheel cleaner, concrete rust stain remover.....

The main ingredient in all of them. Phosphoric Acid. Navel jelly is so it'll hang overhead. It's the same thing as CLR but with different crap added.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Generally, you removed all rust that you can before you even start that process. So there are no loose flakes to fall off. A wire brush, a wire wheel, etc.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I agree. Both have their merits.

Imo, Vinegar for things you can submerge. Phosphoric Acid for things you can't.

I'm coming up to getting the rust off a rear end. I'm gonna try muriatic acid diluted 10 to 1. Using a bug sprayer, soaking the thing down. Wash it off before the acid attacks the base metal too much. Got the idea off some vintage hot rod site. Those guys have to clean up model t crap.

We'll see if it works.

Top Bottom