• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Ugh! I got a bit of rust on some of my firearms. I assume it's from the humidity we've been having. Any advice on how to get rid of it? As far as I can tell it is only on the outside of the guns. I keep them in a safe with a moisture absorbing packet. This has never happened before so I assume I perhaps needed to replace the packet. How can I prevent this from happening in the future? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

Mike748

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 1, 2015
    DFW
    How much rust? Light freckles can be removed by rubbing with a real copper (i.e. old) penny and some gun oil. The copper is soft enough not to mar, but be careful because the floating rust specs will scratch. Wipe often. Heavier rust that has pitted may be more of a problem. You need more than a packet... more like a box of dessicant. Most can be baked in the oven to dry them out for reuse.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Get a plug in Golden Rod and a humidity monitor (both available at Academy). A light works too if it produces heat.

Dessicants are junk if you don't maintain them.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Get a plug in Golden Rod and a humidity monitor (both available at Academy). A light works too if it produces heat.

Dessicants are junk if you don't maintain them.
    This!
    I bought a cheap 12" knockoff but couldn't get my humidity below 60%.
    I got the large Goldenrod, and it is just below 50% now.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    This!
    I bought a cheap 12" knockoff but couldn't get my humidity below 60%.
    I got the large Goldenrod, and it is just below 50% now.

I agree, but, there's a difference between humidity in Houston and El Paso.
    A little. Been a damp monsoon season in the Chihuahuan desert this year though.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    How much rust? Light freckles can be removed by rubbing with a real copper (i.e. old) penny and some gun oil. The copper is soft enough not to mar, but be careful because the floating rust specs will scratch. Wipe often. Heavier rust that has pitted may be more of a problem. You need more than a packet... more like a box of dessicant. Most can be baked in the oven to dry them out for reuse.

A very light coat of rust. Almost looks like dust.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    I agree, but, there's a difference between humidity in Houston and El Paso.
    A little. Been a damp monsoon season in the Chihuahuan desert this year though.

It has been very damp for us this year.

Mike748

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 1, 2015
    DFW
    A very light coat of rust. Almost looks like dust.

I'd say bronze wool, something very fine like OOOO and gun oil in that case. You didn't say what the guns are... bright blue on a revolver may be more delicate than industrial black on a sig. lots of oil, light touch, check often.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yep, Mike nailed it. Very fine wool (even steel wool can be used if you go easy) soaked in oil. Get the finest wool you can find. Don't spare the oil. Start very gentle and watch closely as you go.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Rust is an electrochemical reaction - like a battery. Once it gets started, it's very hard to stop. You can get some surface treatments like "Barracade" that are designed to eliminate the corrosion cell, and that will help a lot.

But oil is a weak way to prevent rust. Think of it this way: Oil floats on top of water. If you have a surface with oil on it and you cover it with water, the oil will float to the top and leave the water in contact with the surface you are trying to protect.

Wax, on the other hand, is higher molecular weight than oil and will stick to the surface. Get a paste wax, like Min-Wax, or better yet one of the waxes used by museums like Renaissance Wax. Clean the metal surface, treat with a rust inhibitor like Barracade or Eezox or even WD-40. Wipe down well, then apply the paste wax. Let dry and wipe off excess.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Rust is an electrochemical reaction - like a battery. Once it gets started, it's very hard to stop. You can get some surface treatments like "Barracade" that are designed to eliminate the corrosion cell, and that will help a lot.

But oil is a weak way to prevent rust. Think of it this way: Oil floats on top of water. If you have a surface with oil on it and you cover it with water, the oil will float to the top and leave the water in contact with the surface you are trying to protect.

Wax, on the other hand, is higher molecular weight than oil and will stick to the surface. Get a paste wax, like Min-Wax, or better yet one of the waxes used by museums like Renaissance Wax. Clean the metal surface, treat with a rust inhibitor like Barracade or Eezox or even WD-40. Wipe down well, then apply the paste wax. Let dry and wipe off excess.

If you are going to use wax, apply the wax to a clean surface. Wiping down the surfac with WD40, etc. and then applying the wax will not help the wax coverage/adherence.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Got some nice steel wool so I'll be working on me guns this weekend. I also looked up the golden rod as a preventive measure. I ran across another device called Eva Dry. It is rechargeable and needs no power supply in the safe. Just place it in the safe and take out every few weeks to recharge on the base. Any one used one of theses devices before?

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    I've been using the Golden Rod for about 30 years and have never had any rust on my firearms. I also put a Golden Rod in the tool cabinet in my garage as I had some tools rust before using it.

Make sure you get the real Golden Rod and not a copy.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    For long term storage I recommend a grease like Vaseline or if your going to use the gun infrequently a product like Rand CLP which is a heavy oil about like honey. You need to protected the guns themselves and not just dehumidify the air although that helps. Products like rem oil, and WD-40 don't work very well at all for protection. Wiping down the guns a few times a year goes along way to keeping them rust free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    After some bad surprises with my machine tools a few years ago, I stumbled onto something that absolutely works to prevent rust: Raw lanolin. If you cast boolits you may already have some. I thin it down a bit with light oil and coat anything that I don't want rust on. It's been 100% effective for close to 10 years - unheated steel building.

Top Bottom