Rust

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by kirk10100, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Texan-in-Training

Texan-in-Training Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Found out about this the hard way, yesterday.
    Learned my lesson... Fortunately the threat was a paper target.

2. oldag

oldag Well-Known

Feb 19, 2015
    If you are going to use wax, apply the wax to a clean surface. Wiping down the surfac with WD40, etc. and then applying the wax will not help the wax coverage/adherence.

3. kirk10100

kirk10100 Member

Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Got some nice steel wool so I'll be working on me guns this weekend. I also looked up the golden rod as a preventive measure. I ran across another device called Eva Dry. It is rechargeable and needs no power supply in the safe. Just place it in the safe and take out every few weeks to recharge on the base. Any one used one of theses devices before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. hoghunting

hoghunting Member

Sep 24, 2014
    I've been using the Golden Rod for about 30 years and have never had any rust on my firearms. I also put a Golden Rod in the tool cabinet in my garage as I had some tools rust before using it.

Make sure you get the real Golden Rod and not a copy.

5. Mikewood

Mikewood Well-Known

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    For long term storage I recommend a grease like Vaseline or if your going to use the gun infrequently a product like Rand CLP which is a heavy oil about like honey. You need to protected the guns themselves and not just dehumidify the air although that helps. Products like rem oil, and WD-40 don't work very well at all for protection. Wiping down the guns a few times a year goes along way to keeping them rust free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. AR1911

AR1911 Member

Apr 26, 2009
    After some bad surprises with my machine tools a few years ago, I stumbled onto something that absolutely works to prevent rust: Raw lanolin. If you cast boolits you may already have some. I thin it down a bit with light oil and coat anything that I don't want rust on. It's been 100% effective for close to 10 years - unheated steel building.

7. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Steel wool will leave behind bits of wool which will then encourage rust. Use bronze wool. Doesn't rust and is a little softer than steel.

8. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Start with just a rag. If the rust just started and is very light you probably don't have to resort to steel wool.