• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daggett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    Lubbock
    TTU Professor: Student has strong case against federal handgun ban - KCBD, NewsChannel 11 Lubbock |

is a news article concerning the lawsuit in Lubbock over 18-20 year olds purchasing handguns. It contains the quote below. Perhaps this makes you want to support Rustic Range, perhaps not, but I think you should know the attitude the owner has.

Licensed gun dealer and Rustic Range owner Dub Dillard has some concerns about the suit. "I like the law the way it is. I don't think that 18-year-olds are mature enough to handle handguns."
    Venture Surplus ad

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I've got to support old Dub's opinion on this one. Though I have been shooting handguns since I was 14, it was always under watchful instruction. 3 years really isn't that long of a time to wait, i've done it along with everyone else whose turned over that leaf of time.
    A lot of things change when you leave high school, there's a whole level of maturity that takes time to sink in. It's a big responsibility to become an adult, and even a bigger one to choose to own a firearm ( a fun one).
    Take a look at auto insurance for a male age 16-25, it's back breaking. The whole reason for that is learning how to safely function in society without acting on impulse and testosterone, things that time teach.
    I do believe that there are some teens and early adults out there who can take the responsibility but those without it outweigh those with.

I know it may be going against the norm to say all that, but it's just my opinion. I've seen a bit too much carelessness to think otherwise.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    TTU Professor: Student has strong case against federal handgun ban - KCBD, NewsChannel 11 Lubbock |

is a news article concerning the lawsuit in Lubbock over 18-20 year olds purchasing handguns. It contains the quote below. Perhaps this makes you want to support Rustic Range, perhaps not, but I think you should know the attitude the owner has.

Licensed gun dealer and Rustic Range owner Dub Dillard has some concerns about the suit. "I like the law the way it is. I don't think that 18-year-olds are mature enough to handle handguns."
    First of all, for anyone to have consern about a 18 year old young man's ability to purchase a gun is stupid. I would have to say that opinion would have to refleck the persons maturity when they were that age. Or maybe that person has son 18 year old children who are nothing more than childs that have no responsibility.
    As for me, all the 18 year olds I know of are outstanding young men. I have no issues with any of them having guns around me or anywhere else. I think it sucks they cant go buy their own.
    When I was 18, I live by myself, paid all my own bills and didnt have any help from anyone. If someone were to tell me what I couldnt do or what I should do back then, they would have got the hell beat out of them.
    Boy's turn into to men when they register for the draft. When they turn 18, they become legal adults.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...ge-keep-your-booger-hook-off-bang-switch.html
    Just an example of what I'm talking about. I was pissed when I couldn't buy my own, but there are fruits out there that don't have common sense and see a pistol as a toy, and ruin it for everyone else.
    Working in firearm sales you see those types by the handfull.
    Rustic Range is a great place to shoot and Dub has been there for ages and has seen several stupid things happen, i'd imagine our amigos here that work at ranges as well could tell countless tales of unmitigated idiocy.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...ge-keep-your-booger-hook-off-bang-switch.html
    Just an example of what I'm talking about. I was pissed when I couldn't buy my own, but there are fruits out there that don't have common sense and see a pistol as a toy, and ruin it for everyone else.
    Working in firearm sales you see those types by the handfull.
    Rustic Range is a great place to shoot and Dub has been there for ages and has seen several stupid things happen, i'd imagine our amigos here that work at ranges as well could tell countless tales of unmitigated idiocy.
    I have had a discussion with some locals recently about range safety. I love my local Range, but it aint safe. None of them are safe. Your only as safe as the idiots that are shooting around you. You can be a safe shooter, but your depending on everyone else to do the same.
    I've had some serious issues due to idiots at the gun range.
    I'll be the first to say, age doesnt apply to idiots, and idiots are not age defined.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I'll be the first to say, age doesnt apply to idiots, and idiots are not age defined.

Ain't that the truth. I've known some very mature 18 yr olds, and some very immature 48 yr olds.

If you're old enough to fight for your country, you're old enough to own a handgun - and legally drink alcohol.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Can we assume that anybody who has the opinion of the range owner does not believe one should be able to join the military at that age as well? If age < 18 defines a person as too immature to handle a firearm then it would seem to me it would define them too young to join the military.

Hate to use the age old argument but...
    If he's old enough to go to war for our country, he's old enough to drink...old enough to buy a handgun.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Can we assume that anybody who has the opinion of the range owner does not believe one should be able to join the military at that age as well? If age < 18 defines a person as too immature to handle a firearm then it would seem to me it would define them too young to join the military.

Poor analogy in my opinion. The platoon that 18 year old is assigned to will be led by NCOs and COs that are alot older than he is, and he will be trained before he is given a firearm in a controlled environment after weeks of instilling hierarchy and discipline.

I would say the simple fact that an 18 year old may buy a handgun from an individual, but not a dealer, is perfect grounds for a reversal of the federal handgun ban, and as well as the right to own long guns, which are FAR more lethal, as secondary grounds.

Top Bottom