• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woulf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
    Got a Taurus 1911 with a bit of surface rust on the mag release, hammer, slide release, a bit on the mainspring housing. (I think that's all, it's been awhile since I looked at it.)

Would it be more efficient to replace those parts or just refinish it? Eventually I hope to get rid of it and replace it with something else, so I'm just looking for a painless method.
    Venture Surplus ad

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Surface rust will come off easy with some oil and steel wool.Pull the parts off and oil them up heavily and wipe off to see if you need to use the wool.Just make sure the wool is heavily soaked with oil and rub lightly or you will remove the paint.After wiping down the parts you can coat them with some Cold blue and that should fix your problem.I would not spend a lot on it if you are going to sell it so the cold blue is optional.Hope this helps you as I had this problem and it worked for me.The parts would run about $120.

woulf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
    Roger that, picked up some 0000 steel wool and a tube of (forgot the name) that's supposed to help remove the rust. Will try it at some point this weekend.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Just remember that bluing is a form of rust, so don't use something like Naval Jelly since it will remove the bluing as well. Four aught steel wool and any kind of oil will work. Don't rub too hard or you will polish the area so that it does not match the rest of the gun.

Top Bottom